Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem After Downloading New Version of iTunes

I recently downloaded the latest version of iTunes. Now whenever I start iTunes I get the following message: "The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes."

However, even after completely uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes I still get the same message, and iTunes will, in fact, no longer burn CDs for me. Suggestions on how to fix the problem?

I've been on that page before. I'm good right up until I get to these steps:

1. From the File menu, click Export.
  2. In the dialog box that appears, make sure the "Selected branch" radio button is enabled, then save the file somewhere that you can find it later. This is a backup of this registry key. You should hang on to this in case you need to reimport your original settings later.
  3. On the right side of the Registry Editor window, right-click the UpperFilters entry and choose Modify from the shortcut menu.

I click on Export. Okay, fine. I see the Selected Branch button. But how do I "save the file somewhere I can find it later"?

I don't know what "right side of the Registry Editor window" means. That kind of rules out everything after that.

What you're doing in steps 9 and 10 is taking a backup of the registry entry before you begin mucking with it. (First Law of Systems Programming: Back it up before you screw with it!) As shown here,

post-2179-0-79791900-1373733047_thumb.pn

you put in a filename of your choice ("mysave.reg" as shown in the example) and save it to your desktop, so that you actually see the registry backup as shown here.

post-2179-0-42587500-1373733055_thumb.pn

Now for the right side description:

post-2179-0-23279700-1373733236_thumb.pn

The UpperFilters entry is highlighted blue on the RIGHT SIDE of the registry editor window. (It's highlighted blue in this example because I clicked on it.) You right click on that and select "modify"

post-2179-0-43620900-1373733366_thumb.pn

from the resulting popup menu. You'll then see a resulting window like this:

post-2179-0-44849900-1373733496_thumb.pn

And then you're supposed to look and see if the character string "GEARAspiWDM" is present, and if it isn't, type it in EXACTLY LIKE THAT (case sensitive), hit the OK cmdbutton, and then restart your computer.

Be VERY DAMNED CAREFUL! (Again, that's why you're taking the backup in steps 9 and 10.) This is not intended as a slight or insult but your questions tell me you've never used regedit.exe before. The registry database contains all kinds of sensitive things that are easy to break that, if broken, can cause your computer to crash and or fail to start at all.

It's not a difficult procedure, you simply need to have your head screwed on straight when you try it. Just follow it along with the screen prints I gave along with my hopefully helpful descriptions and you'll do all right.

(SOOO glad I'm on a mac; there IS NO registry database bs there!)

I haven't one single instance of a system freeze or crash or blue screen of death or dll hell or broken or missing registry entries (which is the root cause of the problem that started this topic) or multiple layers of antivirus and security software clogging up the works since I got away from windows and went all apple. Our ipads work, my iPhone works, my previous iphone worked, my ipod touch (last time I fired it up) works, my iPod classic that I bought back in 2005 still works and the original battery still holds a charge, both of my macs (imac and macbook pro) work. Even windows 7 running as a guest machine under vmware fusion on my macs works better than ANY native windows machine I've ever used. The mac version of MS Office works better. All my Adobe stuff works better. We're starting to use apple devices in part to score USPSA matches. Steve Jobs and Apple didn't lie when they came up with the marketing slogan "It just works". They meant it and it's true: it just works! I will NEVER go back to windows.

Edited by wgnoyes