Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iMarksman Review

cyburg

First, I do not have a stake in this company. I have tested the imarksman DryFire app for the iPhone. I responded to a post on Facebook and was sent the app to test.

As far as this program, I had also been following it online to find more information about it. There I could not locate that much information pertaining to it. I sent Andrey a few messages and he was more than happy to answer my questions.

About 2 weeks later I bought it for my Birthday.

My first problem I came across is that the iMarksman only works with Windows based PC'c, and all my computers are MAC's. Luckily, my wife had a Windows based laptop that I confiscated to use with it.

Oh ya, I hate Windows, installing the program was easy. Dealing with the security in windows sucked. I contacted Andrey and he assisted me in dealing with the windows security. Did I mention I hate Windows.

Once I got everything installed, I set everything up in my guest bedroom.

After having a few issues with the calibration I decided to go back and read the instructions. Ya, I know I should have done that from the start. After spending the next few minutes reading everything I got it set up and calibrated with no problem.

The current system with the IPSC software comes with the camera that captures the laser hits, tripod for the camera and the software. There are about 15 courses that come standard with the ability to create new and or modify the existing ones. You can add your own photos for the background on the stages you create.

As far as targets to choose from, currently it only has the classic IPSC targets, poppers and classic no shoots. I have inquired as to USPSA targets being added. Andrey did state that he wanted to start with IPSC and add the USPSA targets in the near future.

I am in the process of putting together a few stages to post videos of. When I first got everything set up and started dry firing, an hour went by before I knew it.

I put together a short clip, I incorporated a few of Ben's 15 Minute Dryfire stages from his book.

Once I got it all set up and tweaked the sensitivity for the sensor camera, I was off. I set up a few stages and saved them to the list and got started. Once you either click or shot the stage name in the list list it shows the stag and then, shooter ready, stand by, BEEEEEP. Draw and fire.

• 1 month later...

Cyburg,

Now that you've had the system for a short while, how do you like it? Two questions I wasn't able to answer from their site or what I've seen posted:

- Will it breakdown your time on each shot like you'd get with a shot timer? Or just the summary score / time you see on the screen.

- I saw on some videos a "RELOAD" signal come up -- are you able to set the amount of ammo in the gun? And what do you do with your pistol tell the system you are doing the reload?

Cyburg,

Now that you've had the system for a short while, how do you like it? Two questions I wasn't able to answer from their site or what I've seen posted:

- Will it breakdown your time on each shot like you'd get with a shot timer? Or just the summary score / time you see on the screen.

- I saw on some videos a "RELOAD" signal come up -- are you able to set the amount of ammo in the gun? And what do you do with your pistol tell the system you are doing the reload?

1- after the shooting you can review the history with shot placements and timing for each shot

2- For Each scenario you will be able to select mag capacity and time for the stage. after reloading the trainee should shot at the screen to activate stage.

Thanks Cyburg,

It looks really cool to use -- I need to decide if it is $700 worth of cool for the software (IPSC/IDPA/USPSA targets) and special camera.

But I guess compared to everything else you _could_* spend for the sport, it's not outrageous. (* I did say 'could', not 'need' :-)

As followup, if you or anyone knows, is their support pretty good in terms of if you had any issues with the special camera, software updates, etc?

Their support is very good. Andrey is very accessible and very helpful. He can be easily reached on Facebook, Twitter, and by calling him on the phone.

There is a new system that will be coming out shortly that will reduce some of the reliance on the visible lasers after you practice with them for a while and start watching for the dot instead of making the shot. I have spoken with him about it extensively and it is something that will be a huge improvement in any of the laser training systems. The new systems should be out very shortly according to him.

Sorry for the delay in posting, I have been busy at work and my personal projector went down. I have it set up at work now in my office.

As Andron stated, you can review your shot history, each shot by pulling the slider bar. It also gives you the slips.

In order to reload you can simulate a reload or conduct a reload, depending on the weapon you are using. I have a 9mm laser cartridge along with a SIRT Pistol from next level training. I shoot a CZ SP-01 in USPSA so I like to training with it. Shooting double action after a while is a workout. So I also use the SIRT, it is a block frame laser training pistol with weighted magazines. It will also accept some glock Mags.

I was skeptical as most at first, I did a lot of research, and contacted Andrey from iMarksman. We talked and explained everything and I got it for my birthday. Once you get it set up it is addicting. Time will fly by and you get immediate results.

Would I buy it again, Yes...

I seems like a lot of money up front, but when you caculate gas, range fees and ammo, it will pay for itself very quickly.

I have built the Ben's 15 Min Dry Fire Stages in my system and works great. Andrey said he is working on the USPSA targets to add. Once he does that I plan to build as many classifier stages I can to also work on.

More to come.

How did you like the iDryfire app for the iPhone? I'm wondering how it knows the shot placement, is there also some kind of calibration procedure? I didn't get that from their short demo.

How did you like the iDryfire app for the iPhone? I'm wondering how it knows the shot placement, is there also some kind of calibration procedure? I didn't get that from their short demo.

iDryfire app has no calibration process - point at the target and dry fire.

I'm wondering how it knows the shot placement

iDryfire doesn't really know the shot placement - it basically 'watches' your target area, and snaps a picture/stops the timer when it detects a sudden change in light intensity - the detected 'burst' from a laser light. (so background can't be too bright or app won't work) You need to look at the picture (if you didn't call the shot) to see what your placement/scoring was for that one shot.

iDryfire app has no calibration process - point at the target and dry fire.

Andron - are you with iDryfire/(iMarksman)? Are you thinking of doing something that will track more than one shot/first shot for iPhone?

I've been playing with the android version, interesting concept but not too practical for my use since the phone needs to be almost on the target, and for me to be far enough away, makes starting the program a hassle. If I want to save a pic, have to move up to the phone, then back to the start position. All in all is not telling me anymore than I see with the sirt laser.

For iPhone users, just a heads up that the iDryfire app is still buggy.

It does what it says it will do - show you time to first laser hit after a buzzer.

But after phone goes to sleep, and you 'wake' it, the app is messed up: the buzzer will beep ever few second regardless of what you do, the camera autofocus and orientation gets messed up (targets that fit in the screen now too big), and the contrast detection is messed up, it asks for a darker room, even if you just shot with same lighting conditions.

You can work around that bug a little by setting long delay for your phone to sleep, while you are dry firing. Or by force quitting the app every time the phone wakes up, and restarting it.

• 4 months later...

I'm with Cyburg! I have had mine up and running for about two months and I love it! It or me has a few bugs but the repetitive high volume training with my SIRT/iMarksman setup is already showing its worth. I am a hair short of Master and I have been involved with this sport for four years as of today and I have seen so many shooters spend far more than $700 for for a new pistol or a head cam or any number of new things to improve. And they for the most part don't... If I told you you could reach two to three higher classifications for $1200 at the start of your journey (SIRT/iMarksman) would you take it?? Only you can answer that..:) I received my SIRT a month after turning B and made A 9 months later. One year later I am sitting at 83.65% and very confident as a shooter.

I don't work for either company also.

I put together a short clip, I incorporated a few of Ben's 15 Minute Dryfire stages from his book.

Once I got it all set up and tweaked the sensitivity for the sensor camera, I was off. I set up a few stages and saved them to the list and got started. Once you either click or shot the stage name in the list list it shows the stag and then, shooter ready, stand by, BEEEEEP. Draw and fire.

Cyburg thanks for posting! I will chat with Andrey when he gets back from the Shot Show, but if I drag my trigger at all the program will read the hit at the place it leaves of as apposed to where I initially hit. Does your's do that?

Kent

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an older post now but have some useful information to add. There isn't a whole lot of information or reviews about iDryFire on the internet, this was one of only two different forum posts I could find about it.

Spent over two hours trying to set this up, one issue after another. The software and driver files that came with the camera were corrupt. I had to request that another set be sent to me. After I obtained a new set of software (which had to be verified and took about 20 hours of waiting), the camera was then not detected by my computer. I received an error about the device itself malfunctioning. The iDryFire software itself kept crashing as soon as it opened. I tried this on two different PCs. I do not recommend buying this product. Great in theory, but useless in practice.