Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex PST 1-4x vs what?

Can anyone recommend a different 1-4x for the same price or less than the Vortex? I'm almost ready to commit but wanted to ask for opinions. I've considered the MTAC but would like an MOA/MOA reticle and more precision. Thanks

I just went though this process, and for the money, the vortex gets my vote. After reading the threads here I was pretty much sold on either the mtac or tac30. Then I looked through one and lost interest. At least for me the reticle left a lot to be desired. Sure I'd love to pony up and buy once cry once with the razor hd but I just can't justify that amount of $$ given how much I will likely use it.

Ive ran the vortex on my jp15 since I bought it. I thought about upgrading to a 1x6 razor but after ironman I dont think ill need to. Made all the mandatory hits on long range steel and the scope has a rock solid lifetime warranty.

I've done the TAC30 (which is optically pretty close to the MTAC) and am currently running the Vortex PST 1-4x. Easy decision-- Vortex!!! The reticle is far superior, in my opinion, but that's all a personal preference. If you do go the Burris route, it's still a great scope, but I'd recommend the MTAC due to improved controls: worth the extra $100.

My vortex just came in the mail and seems very impressive. $399 from cameralandny.com

Choosing a mount was tough until I found a straight American Defense scout from Bravo on clearance. It looks great on my mono upper

Thanks for the advice.

My vortex just came in the mail and seems very impressive. $399 from cameralandny.com

Choosing a mount was tough until I found a straight American Defense scout from Bravo on clearance. It looks great on my mono upper

Thanks for the advice.

+1 on Cameraland. And the AD mount!

Thanks for the advice.

Can you post a link for the mount?

Thanks Kevin

I started with the Burris MTAC then quickly transistioned to the Vortex 1-6 HD2 and I am glad I did. I run the Burris PEPR mount and it works just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

hey vortex buddies,

can you suggest some 30mm mounts that are somewhere between 1.1 and 1.25 inches high? Right now I got a JP mount, which is 1.5 high and it is a little too high for my natural hold... There are so many products out there but I can only find outliers... like too low or too high...Appreciate your input.

p.s.: Vortex is a hidden jewel in gun optics... These forums pointed me to Vortex and I am glad I did not go with the flow...like getting leupold or burris or whatever else. I am totally amazed with my razor hd 1-6. Now, I am going everything with Vortex. I just got Ranger 1000 (rangefinder) and about to buy a long distance hunting scope. My simple advise: do not buy anything else but Vortex whether 1-4 or 1-6 for 3G.

thanks,

Eli

Enjoy the scope. Vortex customer service is excellent. They promptly replaced my scope two times when I had reticle issues. They even email out a fedex shipping label while talking on the phone. You'll love your scope.

Enjoy the scope. Vortex customer service is excellent. They promptly replaced my scope two times when I had reticle issues. They even email out a fedex shipping label while talking on the phone. You'll love your scope.

Sounds like their customer service has to be good.... to make up for the crappy scopes they sold you???

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to pull the trigger on a vortex scope also, for those of you who run it in 3 gun did you get the capped or open turret version? I'm thinking about getting the capped version so that when I dump the rifle in barrels it doesn't accidentally change the turret.

What do y'all think?

Capped for sure.

capped, there is no need to fiddle with the turrets with this reticle after you get a solid zero.

Thanks for the replies guys. That's what I thought but I just figured I would confirm with the BEnos wisdom.

Side note I got to look through and handle this scope on the rifle of guy squaded with me at a local match today, after that I'm pretty sold on it.

Capped for sure.

capped, there is no need to fiddle with the turrets with this reticle after you get a solid zero.

Thanks for the replies guys. That's what I thought but I just figured I would confirm with the BEnos wisdom.

Side note I got to look through and handle this scope on the rifle of guy squaded with me at a local match today, after that I'm pretty sold on it.

+1 for capped. I never worry about it on tables, or in barrels, or in trash cans, or wherever when grabbing or abandoning the rifle.

I'd be interested in a lower mount also. My Warne RAMP sees ok for that, but curious on other options a fraction of an inch lower.

Thanks for the advice.

was that a sale price ? looks to be $479 now ? If I can find one for 399..... Im in !

Thanks for the advice.

was that a sale price ? looks to be $479 now ? If I can find one for 399..... Im in !

Don't remember exactly, but I think I got my uncapped from them for about that price as a "factory second." They said that it was a return, but from what I could tell, I don't think the first owner did anything more than open the box.

I had a chance to run mine in a match today for the first time. The illuminated reticle worked well on the short range hoser stages. Having the hash marks helped on long range steel. Managed to hit all the plates spread from 150-400 yards. I'm pleased with my choice. For a budget scope it fills the bill nicely.