Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finder / file selection sequence ?

benos

When I was on Mac OS 10.5... If I had a folder open, and a column of files going down the right side of the desktop... If I opened one of the files (by having the file selected and hitting the keystroke: Command + Down Arrow) - then closed the file, then hit Command + Tab to select the Finder, then hit Down Arrow to select the next file (to open it) - that sequence worked as described.

Now with 10.6 that no longer works if a folder is open on the desktop. If a folder is open, in the above sequence, after I hit Command Tab to select the (file I just closed in the) Finder, the selection moves to the folder rather than back to the file I just closed.

Which is a giant PITA because I can no longer open and close I column of files in the finder w/o having to reach for the mouse.

Seems like there should be a way to fix that. Very un-Mac like if there isn't.

be

What view mode are you using in finder? It seems to be working for me. (Now, I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8.4, and you're still on snow leopard, so you're 2 full versions backleveled. I don't remember what snow leopard did in that regard; I was just learning mac at that point and upgraded to lion after a couple of months.)

If you're in THIS mode, I can do everything you describe off the keyboard with the key sequences you describe. I'm using the left and right arrows to go between columns.

post-2179-0-45131600-1372256397_thumb.pn

Thanks Bill.

I never transitioned to "View: Columns" mode. All my folders are in "View: Lists" mode.

I think I remember seeing a setting that controlled the selection / tab sequence, somewhere once, in some odd place. Now I can't remember where I (thought I) saw it.

I'm betting you can arrow to files because your files, in View Columns mode, are in a folder, not just each setting by themselves, on the actual desktop.

You mean list mode like this?

Okay, in this example, if I Cmd+down-arrow to open the file Scan 131270013.pdf, he launches adobe acrobat and then pulls in the pdf

If I then cmd+W to close the file (but leave the app still open), my focus is still on acrobat. Cmd-tab takes me back to finder. (If I had Cmd+Q to close acrobat entirely, focus would be brought back to finder directly.)

Now I can down-arrow to the file Scan131270011.pdf or any other and Cmd+down-arrow to open that one.

So I guess I must not be understanding what you're saying or still have the wrong scenario, because this all seems to work in mountain lion.

post-2179-0-50809300-1372340136_thumb.pn

Thanks again Bill.

Maybe the attached screenshot will help clear it up.

if I open file Test 1, then close it, then Command + Tab back to the Finder, the selection goes to one of the open folders (as opposed to Test 1, so I could arrow down to Test 2).

post-171-0-28405600-1372374811_thumb.jpg

Don't know. I've got two finder windows open and I used the mouse to single-click on (to establish focus) and cmd+down open something residing directly on the desktop. It opens. Cmd+Q closes the file and the app, and then on my machine focus is returned to the desktop and the same file and I can arrow around the desktop to open the next file, even with 2 other finder windows open.

Weird.

Thanks again Bill.

I'm pretty sure, when I first got this machine, I found a setting somewhere that had to do with "tab sequence," but now I can't find it. I'll dig around some more...