Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After how many rounds do you oil, maintain, completely disassemble you

AnimalCustoms

Basic cleaning and inspection before every match, extractor (AFTEC) and firing pin monthly, complete tear down (trigger group) once a year. YMMV, depening on climate conditions, powder, selection of cleaning methods, bullet material, lubricant and other factors.

At least once every two weeks, but sometimes I live fire practice three times a week. Always before a match. It's better to find a broken part or repairable damage before the first stage of a match that you paid a buck twenty to enter.

BC

I dunno, whenever I feel like it? This is art, not science. Production guns get done rarely, Limited guns more often, Open guns most often. But even the Open guns get cleaned no more often than every 5 matches or so, and then mostly to clean the extractor. If you're cleaning your gun every match, either your gun sucks or you're wasting precious hours of your life.

The only exception is following a dust storm, in which case I'll usually have to do not only a full cleaning, but pull the grip off.

I dropped my Steel Master in the dirt, so I had to completely disassemble and clean (threw all parts in my ultrasonic cleaner), reassemble, lube, and it's good to go.

But before that, I only completely disassemble and clean after 5k rounds.

I wipe off feed ramp every time I shoot. Other than that not often.

Yep, that's about what I do for my open gun. I use the swabs midway sells. I lock it open, wipe the breech face/extractor hook, the feed ramp, and add oil if it seems dry. It gets a full tear down once to twice a year, usually one practice session or club match before a major. (I never like to take a gun to a major that doesn't have at least a couple hundred rounds on it).

To be fair some of this depends on what you use for powder and your environment, also on how tight your gun is (and I believe how lightly it is sprung).

On the other hand if having a spotless gun makes you happy, then that's what you ought to do :-)

I am anal. I field strip and place in the Ultra Sonic after each match. First off its only one match or crud so it comes off easy. I start the next watch cleaned and fresh lube.

Buy doing this my 22LR always runs. My stock and open guns seldom if ever have a problem.

Waste of my time?

Well, it takes about five minuets to files stip, the its in the Ultra Sonic and all the work is done. Another five minutes to reassemble and oil. So a 10 min job. To me that is really nothing. Plus I feel it improves my scores because I do not worry about failures of any kind. Not saying they never happen. But very very few.

JFWIW

Plus I feel it improves my scores because I do not worry about failures of any kind

I worry much, much more about a clean gun malfunctioning than a mildly dirty gun, because the latter has proven that it works.

Plus I feel it improves my scores because I do not worry about failures of any kind

I worry much, much more about a clean gun malfunctioning than a mildly dirty gun, because the latter has proven that it works.

+1

If I'm at a multi day match I will clean the feed ramp and chamber after each day. I clean the top end of my 1911 after 500-700 rounds and the bottom at 1000-1500 rounds. New recoil and firing pin spring after 3000-5000 depending on the gun/loads.

It is not a big deal and I like to see how things are holding up.

My open gun I pull the upper apart and clean before every match. The lower probably every 5000 rounds or so. Probably doesn't need it that often but I like having it clean. My limited gun doesn't get cleaned near as often. I try to keep it oiled as well as the feed ramp and chamber clean. The rest of it gets cleaned whenever I feel like it.

I tear my 2011 down once a week. Necessary? Heck no. I could get by just fine but ensuring the chamber is clean, rails lubed, and grip screws are right, but I love mechanical objects.

I enjoy taking it down and putting it back together. I never grew out of my "Legos." :)

Hardly, ever. Maybe before a big match, like a week, so I can get some rounds down it again.

I shoot Open, so basically I clean feed ramp with the pinky finger and add oil, good to go. My gun is a custom STI by GANS, locks up tighter than a whales blow hole and runs like a raped ape. Dirty, dirty dirty, I like my open guns a little on the dirty side. Ain't that a Confederate Railroad song?

Anyways, if its built right, it's gonna run, even with a little dirt. Or, if a little sludge locks it up, I'd find a new builder, JMHO.

Never understood it, all the cleaning. Hmmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...