Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Steelmaster as an open gun?

lojak

Hi all,

I'm really tempted to try open, as many of my friends do, but I'm leaning toward an STI Steelmaster in 9mm minor rather than .38S/SC or 9mm major. I have a few reasons, first and foremost is ease of getting ammunition. The condo I live in does not permit reloading, and I just don't have the space for a proper set up with a progressive press. That may change in the future, but not for a few years. The other big factor is comfort - I really don't like the blast in the face from .38S/SC. I've also got some concern due to weight + recoil, since I have carpal tunnel and my dainty wrists are a wee bit sensitive to that. Finally, I do not want to invest in a custom gun, since that will raise the final cost over two thousand dollars.

I would add an Aftec extractor, likely have the trigger tuned and then fire a thousand runs to work out the gun before I start competition. Beyond that I'd deal with whatever issues came up. While I want to shoot open, I'm not planning on achieving GM status. I enjoy shooting, first and foremost, but I'm not trying to make it into the record books.

So, to my learned colleagues, I ask this: Is the Steelmaster a reasonably viable pistol for Open minor? If not,why and what would you suggest? I'm also curious to know what type of holster folks are using, and if STI mags are reasonably acceptable or should I invest in SVI mags (assuming I can get those in a timely fashion here in Canada).

-- L

Edited by lojak

I own 2 STI Steel Masters... shoot 9 minor... both my pistols run on.. 115 gr Winchester white box.. 115 gr Remington Factory ammo and my 124gr HP reloads.. its a fun gun to shoot in Open class...

Hello: Pass on the steelmaster and get a TruBor in 9mm. It will shoot 9mm minor or major with just a recoil spring change from 9lb to 8lb. STI mags are fine and you are limited to 10 rounds anyways so some 140mm or 126mm mags with stops and spacers and you should be good. 9mm minor is alot of fun to shoot. Thanks, Eric

Dude, go with the steelmaster. It sounds like a perfect fit. It will feed anything you get off the store shelf, and if you can reload it will like you even more. Stick with factory STI mags. You won't need to tune them, just make sure they have the spacer and 9mm follower. Aftec and a trigger job are good, and you may or may not need to tune the ejector to keep the brass from throwing high and getting jammed under the optic mount. I have both a Steelmaster and an SVI IMM Open both in 9mm. The STI Steelmaster is the only one that isn't picky, not fickle, always goes bang, and shoots anything off the shelf.

Judging by your criteria id go with a steel master. You could check out the trubor in 9mm also. a little bit of tweeking and you can shoot minor and major from it. I have a trubor shooting 9 major and the gun shoots

great. Recoil isn't bad at all and the sound doesn't make the shooter want 3 pairs of ear pro(the next to you still might). You don't need an aftec extractor but they are a great tool to add to the gun.

Trigger job would be my top priority. Im picky about my triggers but that's just me. Since you aren't going to reload I think the steel master would be a decent fit for your needs, but don't rule out others like the trubor, or match master(match master is a bit snappier in with major loads) Some people have are having some issues with the steel master for functioning so it might be worth your time to search around the forums and see what their problems are and how to maybe fix it. If your getting some stove pipes because of the cmore mount like lee said you are going to have to either tune the ejector or ya can always pick up a 90 degree mount for the optic.

Look into a freedom gunworks custom. their open builds start at 2600. So, you could have something like a trubor or steelmaster for 2600. Add 300, that's a number of customizations. It will come with a better trigger, and be a much nicer gun all around. When I talked to them last, they were about 4 months out.

Thank you very much guys! Much appreciated!

I've looked at the Trubor and retail in Canada it is the same base price as the Steelmaster, though I've been hesitant based on the few comments I've found from folks who run the Trubor as 9mm minor. There seems to be more tuning required to get it to run versus the Steelmaster.

I'm in total agreement regarding a trigger job. In terms of physical feedback, the trigger is probably the most important component, for me at least. Lousy trigger = lousy experience, so I'll have that done by the 'smith who I'll probably order from.

Thanks for the tip about Freedom Gunworks - I'll definitely consider them when I choose a custom gun. Being in Canada though, a custom gun from the US introduces a bunch of extra costs and wait times. It typically costs about $200 - $250 extra for someone to arrange import through an exporter & importer. Getting the export and import paperwork completed usually adds 8 weeks to the delivery time. So it is only worth it when it is really worth it. As an aside, a lot of shooters here will arrange import of hard-to-get-in-Canada items like Springfield TRP's and HK45's, because those are seen as worth the cost. A Glock? Not so much.

Kosh79, a lot of people say that an Aftec is required for 9mm minor. I recognize that the 9mm minor and the Steelmaster have had users with FTE problems due to the brass bouncing off the optic mount and back into the chamber, and the solution to that is either an ejector tune up or going for a side-ways/vertical optic mount. Do you think the recommendations for an Aftec on the platform is incorrectly based on that problem, or is there another reason for your recommendation?

As for the spacers and stoppers, any recommendation on which to get and where? I haven't found anyone in Canada who carries those as a regular item, so I'll have to order from the US (and hopefully the components won't be covered under US export rules).

Thanks,

-- L

Edited by lojak

I just bought a steel master from Brazos, My 2nd one. I had them do the trigger and grip stippling and had it in hand in 2 weeks. I immediately removed the mount and changed it to a Cheeley 90 degree mountand changed the dot to a 12 moa. I tested loads in it sighted it in then practiced 6 stages friday, shot a 7 stage steel match saturday and another 5 stage steel match on sunday.So it's only got about 1000 rnds thru itso far. Not one ftf or fte or jam of any kind. The first steelmaster I had was constantly jamming as the cases would hit the original mount for the dot and fall back into the chamber area. The quickest way to solve it is either a 90 degree mount for the slide rider or a Cheeley RTS mount that sets the mount in the correct spot and gets the dot back further from the comp. I like the 90 degree mount better so far for the bigger glass area and the ability to change dot sizes and intensity.

Buy the 140 mags with the blocks to 10 rnds. The 126's are much harder to get into the gun on a speed reload. when you buy the mags get the 38sc followers and try them. one less thing to move in the mag with out the spacer and my gun feeds as well from either set up. I am told that a lot of 9mm shooters run the 38 sc followers instead of the 9mm follower with the spacer.

Normal extractors need to be bent in order to get more or less extractor tension and with the 9 and the 38 super comp you need to add a lot of tension due to the rimless base

The aftec uses springs to get that tension instead of bending

the ejector needs tuned to throw the brass more sideways out the ejection port than up

I got slightly sick of the filing and checking filing and checking so I just went with the 90 because it brings the dot closer to the slide and makes it easier for me get a quick dot and now I don't have to worry about the stove pipes

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. After shooting a Steelmaster and a standard length (custom) open gun, I've decided to give the Trubor a look. The 5" gun I shot felt better, and I'm lining up a chance to shoot a Trubor in the next week. If it feels right, I'll go in that direction. Many thanks for those on the board and off-line (particularly Sim and Pat H.) for their input.

• 3 years later...

Hi Lojak,

I am located in Canada and I am hoping you reply to this 4 years old topic.

I am now like you 4 years ago going to buy my first race gun. I am leaning to STI Steel Master. What is your situation now with your race gun?

FWIW:

i shoot 9major out of a STI open gun. 90% of the matches I shoot are outdoors but I do shoot a match on Thursdays indoors and run minor (130PF production loads) due to the noise. I change absolutely nothing except my zero for major and minor. 

The new STI's generally come with a recoil master recoil system and its not exactly favorable. Either pistol bought new will likely need a guide rod and a 7-9lbs spring. 

I would vote vote for a regular open gun meant to shoot major for two reason:

resale. A lot smaller market for the minor only guns. 

If you ever ever want to go major you can!

EDIT!!! Dang you necro post... now I look like the bad guy lol

Edited by ShortBus

You are right Shortbus. I am just thinking before that getting a pistol that runs 9mm major prohibits me from shooting 9mm minor (I have no reloading machine). On what I read, i just need to change the recoil spring, is this right? If so, I will go for Matchmaster or Trubor.

What do you think?

45 minutes ago, Orbit said:

You are right Shortbus. I am just thinking before that getting a pistol that runs 9mm major prohibits me from shooting 9mm minor (I have no reloading machine). On what I read, i just need to change the recoil spring, is this right? If so, I will go for Matchmaster or Trubor.

What do you think?

I dont have to change anything, it runs on both. YMMV. It's a 2011... your gonna tinker with it regardless of what model you get and ammo you shoot. Get the ones that checks the most boxes. 

Me, not a chance I'd buy a minor only gun.

i like

the trubor over the MM. little longer barrel

when I went open I bought used from here.   

Edited by ShortBus

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running a steel master for steel challenge and 3-gun and the occasional USPSA match for the past two years.  The gun is great but I have recently upgraded to a full size DVC it runs minor and major with no spring change.  I have run 115 grain and 124 grain factory and 124 major with no malfunctions to date.  All of the mags were already tuned from running in the steel master.  It will depend on how much those extra Major points are going to matter to you.

I recently purchased a steelmaster to use in steel challenge and as a backup to my uspsa gun,  unfortunately my major loads r to long for the steelmaster.  on the upside its a great steel gun..