Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 170mm Mag question?

slinginlead

Ok, I ordered me a Glock to be built by By Bob Carver. I know it comes with one standard magazine and I have 4 - 17 round magazines.

Should I order a SJC big stick or two and a couple of Dawson base pads?

Or should I order the conversion that Bob has on his web site and convert a couple of the ones I currently own?

I am going to shoot open in 9mm major. Pic of the gun I ordered.

thank you

Shane

post-43720-0-80659200-1369689279_thumb.j

I'd personally wait.. Talked to Taran Butler (Taran Tactical Innovations), and we discussed a 170mm basepad. He will be moving forward with this project. Also his 140mm basepads are second to no one.. Check em out.. I love all of mine.. No issues and come with great springs.

I'd go with a Taylor Freelance base. Nothing against Taran or the guys over at SJC, but the TF extension has been around quite a while and has the bugs worked out, and is not a cut-down 33rnd Glock mag either.

I ran two big-sticks with TF bases when I started shooting Open with a Glock .40, and I never had any problems. In fact, you can generally get 1 more round than they advertise that it will add. 28-29 rounds in 9mm should be fairly easy.

I've been using my G-17 Mags with Arredondo + 5 bases, built strong,easy to put on & clean with my Carver G-17 9mm Major Open Glock.BTW Bobby Carver is one of the nicest people out there building custom guns-always makes time to talk to you or e-mail you if you have a question..

When I emailed Bobby and asked him to call me, he did. It was 8:00 at night and spent an hour on the phone with me. He answered all my goofy questions and made me feel comfortable. I am not going to name any companies but there are a few that make some open guns and I have sent emails and left messages and to this day I have never received a phone call back.

I have 2 SJC built 170mm mags that is sitting and collecting dust since I sold my SJC open gun last year. Used for maybe 6 matches and holds 28. PM me with a reasonable offer if interested.

McGlock, this is a quote from Taran Tactical "We do not have any new Glock base pads in the works at this time, nor do we have any in the development stage, I'm afraid."

So I am having to come up with something different.

I have a Taylor Freelance +10 base pad on it's way. I have seen some at matches, some worked and some didn't. The last one I saw that was having problems made me wait till now to get one, I will test it with several rounds before using it in a

match.

I am hoping for the best, my Open Glock is a flawless piece of machinery now, don't want any problems.

Got the mag extension in yesterday, I read their instructions and installed it. All I could get in it was the "plus 10" as advertised ( I had read different places that you sometimes could get a round or two more).

On the first full capacity load, I ejected them out with my finger and the follower hung up in the bottom of the mag. I

took it apart again, filed some more on the edges of the magazine bottom like instructed and made a couple passes on the

top leading edge of the follower. Loaded her up again and it worked.

I need to go and shoot it before I call it a success.

First impressions are good, the 27 rounds in that mag give added weight to the Glock. I like a heavy pistol.

My SJC runs 100%. No extension/end of mag joint for the follower to get hung up on. If you're handy, you could probably make your own with a 33-round mag, an Arredondo base pad, a long spring, a dremel tool, and some epoxy.

It got harder to get an extra round in the extensions when Glock introduced magazines with the current narrower taper a few years ago....

The earlier, slightly more boxy mags are usually good for an extra round -- and will usually fit the gauge without the filing needed by the newer mags, which are apparently a smidge longer....

McGlock, this is a quote from Taran Tactical "We do not have any new Glock base pads in the works at this time, nor do we have any in the development stage, I'm afraid."

So I am having to come up with something different.

Kinda funny cause i talked to the man directly at a match.. We discussed it in detail... We'll see...

Hello: I would just get 2 +10 Taylor Freelance base pads and some Arredondo base pads as well. Most stages now have a great place to reload so you may get by with 2 big sticks and 3 140mm mags. I am finding I am using my 140mm mags more and more since stages are single stack friendly now. Thanks, Eric

Agreed, I have been using my 140mm mags because on a 32 round course I was going to have to reload no matter what kind of mag I had.

I shot a larger match recently and they had two or three 24 - 26 round courses and if I had had the "Big stick" I wouldn't have had to reload. That is what I wanted it for mainly.

• 3 years later...
On 5/27/2013 at 9:56 PM, BlueOvalBruin said:

I've needed to put a lot of work in the followers to make the 170 work with the Taylor freelance extensions. There was some mismatch in mine and the rounds and follower would get stuck. But after the tuning they work 100%.

What tuning did you do?  I am having the same problems and am very frustrated! 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2013 at 7:34 PM, McGlock said:

I'd personally wait.. Talked to Taran Butler (Taran Tactical Innovations), and we discussed a 170mm basepad. He will be moving forward with this project. Also his 140mm basepads are second to no one.. Check em out.. I love all of mine.. No issues and come with great springs.

Taran's work well. The only issue I have is that I can get one more round in a mag with the Arredondo basepads than his, so I use a mix of both. Both seem just as reliable. Taran's are easier to take apart.