Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Bag Checklist

I would like to know what pieces of gear people take with them all the time when they are going to shoot. This can be either in a competition or just a practice range session. I am just curious if I am missing anything really important or anything that would be nice to have. Here is my list.

- Primary Pistol

- Back Up Pistol

- Ammo

- Leatherman

- Eye/Ear Pro

- Magazines

- Holster and Mag Pouches

- Water

- First Aid Kit

- Spare Parts

- Roll of Masking Tape

- Pens and Sharpies

- Water/Snacks

• 3 weeks later...

Fire extinguisher.

This has saved my life about 10 times now. Seriously, like buildings on fire we may die, or the truck with the increments in it is on fire. Increments are the tiny charges used to shoot mortars, an are god awfully flammable. A bad fart will set them off.

Set of hex/torx wrenches for your optics.

A hammer, especially if you're bringing your Mosin Nagant out.

Anti-fog lens wipes.

Binoculars or spotting scope.

Can of CLP and a rag.

I'd add a stapler, shot timer, cleaning kit, small set of punches & screwdrivers, dummy rounds, and notebook to your list. I like to write down what I did, times on drills, things that went well (or didn't) , and ideas for future range trips.

Plastic trash bags to stow your gear in if it rains.

Video camera and tripod if you want to record yourself for training puposes or for posterity.

Some ranges are short on places to sit. I bring a folding stool.

I've been on ranges in 100 degree plus weather with no shade. Folding chairs with built in adjustable shades or umbrellas are common gear on some local ranges I frequent. Some folks with custom carts will even have patio table umbrellas attached to them.

I use "Note Everything" (Android App) with durable checklist notes to make sure I bring everything I need to a match... Who could remember all the stuff listed here?

http://www.softxperience.mobi/146-1-Features.html

It's similar to a grocery list... Input all the items you want to remember to take to a match, then go through the list while you are packing your range bag and/or car... Items clear back to the master list when you click them... Makes it very easy to see if you've missed anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know what pieces of gear people take with them all the time when they are going to shoot. This can be either in a competition or just a practice range session. I am just curious if I am missing anything really important or anything that would be nice to have. Here is my list.- Primary Pistol- Back Up Pistol- Ammo- Leatherman- Eye/Ear Pro- Magazines- Holster and Mag Pouches- Water- First Aid Kit- Spare Parts- Roll of Masking Tape- Pens and Sharpies- Water/Snacks

How about a timer and targets!

I also converted a sit and stand stroller into a range cart which holds my range bag and cooler.

Edited by stick

FWIW, I have two bags. Primary is a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/JUMBO-E-D-C-VERSIPACK-65p1319.htm that I carry on my shoulder and only has enough ammo to do the match/practice, water, sunblock, primary gun, flitz towel, timer, muffs, and a few basic tools and bandaids. All the other necessary crap mentoned above stays in the backseat of the truck in the big bag... and pretty much never leaves the backseat, unless an unfortunate event happens, and I have to walk out to the parking lot to fix something. Also, I keep my ammo in Zip-lock freezer bags of 100rnds apiece and transition the bags from loaded ammo to picked-up brass as the day progresses, if practicing. This is post-back surgery me talking...

Edited by jkrispies

• 2 weeks later...

I like to have both muffs and plugs in my bag, depending on what shooting I'm doing. Always nice to have an extra set or two of eyes and plugs...inevitably someone will forget, or for if you take a friend to the range.

Stapler and extra staples for sure.

I like to make a list of duty gear as well...mag pouches, mags, holsters, etc....as well as firearm accessories...slings, vertical fore grips, quick disconnects, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I have two bags. Primary is a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/JUMBO-E-D-C-VERSIPACK-65p1319.htm that I carry on my shoulder and only has enough ammo to do the match/practice, water, sunblock, primary gun, flitz towel, timer, muffs, and a few basic tools and bandaids. All the other necessary crap mentoned above stays in the backseat of the truck in the big bag... and pretty much never leaves the backseat, unless an unfortunate event happens, and I have to walk out to the parking lot to fix something. Also, I keep my ammo in Zip-lock freezer bags of 100rnds apiece and transition the bags from loaded ammo to picked-up brass as the day progresses, if practicing. This is post-back surgery me talking...

Now this is makes sense.

I usually leave my bag in my car, only carrying around the stage bag from my old big SC bag. Ammo, sunblock, drink and snacks, pen, scoresheets, mag cleaning gear, overlays and rulebook in the bag. That plus a stool and I'm good. I might take an occasional trip back to the car for extra ammo or food/drinks from the cooler if/when needed.

Less wear and tear on the old bod. I could get a wagon or cart like a lot of folks I see, but loading and unloading it from the car, packing and unpacking it, just doesn't seem worth while.

Less is more. My wife proved that to me when she insisted we travel abroad for periods ranging from 3 to 8 weeks with nothing more than one carry-on bag per family member for each trip. We lacked for nothing, and didn't (couldn't) lose baggage, never waited for baggage pickup, and could all fit into one taxi from the airport.