Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W new barrel for M&P

open67

Tried the Zero's and didn't see too much difference. Seemed like they might want to group a little tighter but the MG's just seemed a little more consistent. Didn't give an extensive test but shot a couple of groups.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I asked about the new barrel for my M&P FS, Smith & Wesson told me that Midway had them.

I ordered a new barrel from Midway and sure enough it's the new one. Very obvious difference between the old barrel and new barrel with the increased twist rate.

I called and ordered a new barrel (Part 425520000) from S&W for my M&P 9 Pro (5in) this morning ($77.36 shipped). The customer representative said that it might be up to a year before I get my new barrel. Now the waiting begins.

I will probably change out the locking block when I get the new barrel.

I called and ordered a new barrel (Part 425520000) from S&W for my M&P 9 Pro (5in) this morning ($77.36 shipped). The customer representative said that it might be up to a year before I get my new barrel. Now the waiting begins.

I will probably change out the locking block when I get the new barrel.

a year.......holy moly

Just bought my daughter her first handgun yesterday. It's a M&P 9 Pro Series CORE with the 4.25in barrel. How does one know if it has the older barrel or the new one? Or do I just need to call S&W with the serial number?

I'm a 2011 shooter and not familiar with these type of guns.

Thanks

Just bought my daughter her first handgun yesterday. It's a M&P 9 Pro Series CORE with the 4.25in barrel. How does one know if it has the older barrel or the new one? Or do I just need to call S&W with the serial number?

Thanks

Lucky kid! Take the pistol apart and look on the underside of the barrel on the flat forward of the locking lugs. You'll probably see to small dimples on the flat. That indicates the newer design 1-10" twist with improved lockup. If you've got on dimple it's still 1-10" but an older lockup setup. Good luck to the new shooter!

Thanks

Lucky kid! Take the pistol apart and look on the underside of the barrel on the flat forward of the locking lugs. You'll probably see to small dimples on the flat. That indicates the newer design 1-10" twist with improved lockup. If you've got on dimple it's still 1-10" but an older lockup setup. Good luck to the new shooter!

Took it apart and there is one dimple. Thanks for the info.

And I took it out and put 50 rounds of 124 grain NATO through it today. What kind of father would I be if I didn't test fire it first. :P

As a 1911 and 2011 only shooter I must say I was very impressed with this little gun. Accuracy was outstanding and the sights were dead on at 15 yards. Less recoil than I expected also. Very nice gun. If I was going to shoot Production this would be my gun.( In the 5" version)

• 3 months later...

So, I called S&W today. My M&P 9 Pro 5" is at about 45,000 rounds and I figured I would order a new barrel. Seeing how the barrel has been revised the timing was good too, although I never really had any complaints about how it shot.

I was explicitly told that they will not sell a barrel as a spare part and that I would need to send my gun in. Lead time was "several months" and possibly 3+ months.

This is completely unacceptable as a customer service policy. I can understand a backorder on a barrel of +++months, but expecting me to send in a firearm that will sit on a shelf until then is absurd. I can't believe they would expect me to miss out on 3+ months of matches until they get around to replacing the barrel, which is a completely user field changeable part. What if this was my Shield?? Would they expect a cusotmer to go without a CCW weapon for 3+ months? What are they doing? Are they fitting the barrels to the guns by hand? No... they aren't

If this is a change in S&W service and the trend they are taking I'll need to start looking at replacing their products in my collection with other manfuacturers starting at SHOT next week. Glock may start getting more business from me as a result. I had their new 9mm revolvers on my "to buy list" for this year and just scratched them off.

If S&W wants to be ridiculous and actually expect me to send in a gun for that long then by that token I should expect them to send out a loaner for those months.

Absolutely ridiculous and unfortunate too. I love my M&P, and really liked S&W prior to this change in CS attitude.

Broke down and ordered a KKM barrel for my 9L. The new barrels are much better, but when taking to KKM the guaranteed it would be more accurate or money back is what I was told on the phone. Also put my name on the list at G&R tactical for a fitted Storm Lake barrel for my Pro. About 6 month wait. If the KKM works out well might just stay with them. Can shoot well enough with the new barrels now, but can't wait forever on the Bar Sto ones.