Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wst in 45 acp

bodene 5

who uses this in 45acp ? just tried it tonite with a 200 lswc some test loads man was I impressed so far with my groups going to make some more and chrono those 4.5 @1.265 in a 21 a10 shot group was unreal

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who uses this in 45acp ? just tried it tonite with a 200 lswc some test loads man was I impressed so far with my groups going to make some more and chrono those 4.5 @1.265 in a 21 a10 shot group was unreal

I've used the same load with excellent results in a couple of different guns. Shooting the Bayou 200 SWC.

WST is my preferred powder in .45acp. I've done a similar load that was also quite accurate.

Precision 200gr RNFP 1.205" OAL 4.55gr WST

G21 749.7 FPS

G30 716.5 FPS

Precision 200gr RNFP 1.205" OAL 4.7gr WST

G21 788.5 FPS

G30 750.5 FPS

• 3 weeks later...

WST is all I have ever used in 45acp both with 200gr Laser Cast SWC @ 1.250 oal and 230gr Laser Cast 230 LRN,,,,,,I use a little less powder than most as the Laser Cast seem to crono better than some of the softer bullets,,,,,power factors and grs of powder will vary a little depending on the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I use WST with the 200 BBI SWC right now. With CCI primers and 5.1 grains of WST, I made 180 PF at both SS Nationals and Area 5.

It was a bit odd, as I'd chrono'd the round on a friend's chrono and it came out at 174ish there. I could probably back down to 5.0, but I'm shooting a sectional this weekend and don't want to go minor.

It's a good powder, very comfortable to shoot in that configuration, not much smoke and burns clean. Gun doesn't get nasty dirty. It smells good, too!

I use WST with the 200 BBI SWC right now. With CCI primers and 5.1 grains of WST, I made 180 PF at both SS Nationals and Area 5.

It was a bit odd, as I'd chrono'd the round on a friend's chrono and it came out at 174ish there. I could probably back down to 5.0, but I'm shooting a sectional this weekend and don't want to go minor.

It's a good powder, very comfortable to shoot in that configuration, not much smoke and burns clean. Gun doesn't get nasty dirty. It smells good, too!

4.2gr WST with 230gr Precision or Bear Creek black bullet at 1.210. 170pf out of my Kimber and STI 45's. Soft, clean, accurate

Same recipe using 230 gr plated from Xtreme Bullets. I make them 1.220" and they cycle my Remington R1 fine. No puff of smoke after (amazing what a difference plated makes). I can't comment on the recoil since I don't pay attention to that too much. I CAN tell you it will put them really close together for USPSA if I do my job.

• 1 month later...

I shot some S&S 230 gr LRN this afternoon over 4.3 gr WST which were very accurate loads off a bench rest at 10 yards that I also shot reasonably accurately on range at 10 yards out of my S&W government model E-Series. Averaged 750.5 fps for a Power Factor of 172.61. My only problem was that it was so smokey while shooting I could hardly see. I did shoot late in the afternoon not long before dark and don't know if that contributed more to the smokiness or not. Very soft shooting load that I really liked, but hate that it was so smokey. There appear to be a number of you shooting a formula very similar to this one. Are you experiencing the smokiness? Is there a solution? Didn't know if I bumped it up a little whether the smokiness would go away.

Today I shot the same 230 gr S&S LRN over 4.5 gr WST, OAL 1.255. Just might be my new favorite load. Though not quite as smokey as the other day, it was still a little smokey, but probably the most accurate reload I've done (though admittedly haven't been reloading that long). Averaged 767.7 fps with an extreme spread of 24.31 and a standard deviation of 10.53.

Today I shot the same 230 gr S&S LRN over 4.5 gr WST, OAL 1.255. Just might be my new favorite load. Though not quite as smokey as the other day, it was still a little smokey, but probably the most accurate reload I've done (though admittedly haven't been reloading that long). Averaged 767.7 fps with an extreme spread of 24.31 and a standard deviation of 10.53.

I shot some S&S 230 gr LRN this afternoon over 4.3 gr WST which were very accurate loads off a bench rest at 10 yards that I also shot reasonably accurately on range at 10 yards out of my S&W government model E-Series. Averaged 750.5 fps for a Power Factor of 172.61. My only problem was that it was so smokey while shooting I could hardly see. I did shoot late in the afternoon not long before dark and don't know if that contributed more to the smokiness or not. Very soft shooting load that I really liked, but hate that it was so smokey. There appear to be a number of you shooting a formula very similar to this one. Are you experiencing the smokiness? Is there a solution? Didn't know if I bumped it up a little whether the smokiness would go away.

You want to see smoke? Try Titegroup. All uncoated lead bullets smoke, but Titegroup takes it to a level that has to be seen to comprehend. WST is pretty low smoke, maybe not THE lowest, but it's in the low end of the spectrum.

I went back to the 4.3 gr WST. Shot some 4.5 gr loads and some 4.3 gr loads at same shooting trip. The 4.3 didn't smoke any more than the 4.5 and were just as accurate, but lighter recoil. Very pleasant to shoot.

Used my Alpha Chrony on my loads. Turns out 4.2 grains and 1.22" is only 666 average with plated bullets from extreme. Shortened them to 1.21 to see if that makes up for the lack of speed. Only reason I found out was I had extra time at the range and setup the chrony for someone else to test their bullets.

I've been using WST in .45 for years.
The nicest thing about it might the sound- it's actually quiet. And it's even advertised to be: "low report", I think they say. That contributes a lot to the sense of softness.
I'm at 4.3gr with 230s, either SnS or Bear Creek molys. I might take another tenth out but...

Here's the catch: WST slows down in the heat. I actually use more in summer and less in winter. It's not a small thing, either.
My partner shoots .40, using the SnS 200gr round-nose (SnS sponsors her). The normal load they suggest with WST is around 4.0gr.
We settled on 3.9gr. At the April Indiana Single Stack Sectional, it went 176 in her (slow) 1911.
It went 168 in the Limited gun in June.
Come July, at the Riley Indiana Sectional on a 90-degree day, with a bullet that was a grain light, it went 163.8. Minor.
Absolutely the same setup on the same press and checked again and again.
The gun's going to the Nationals with an extra two tenths or even more. Just sayin'.