Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why haven't I seen "these" more?

http://mgmtargets.com/plate-racks-dueling-trees/propeller-plate-rack

I shot one of these with a shotgun at a local Mill Creek PSL multi-gun match in Kansas and thought it was a blast to shoot.

I haven't been to a lot of big matches yet (see list below...its not much), and am a "newbie" to the sport, but these targets are FUN!

(2012 MW3G, 2012 Ozarks, 2012 Fallen Brethren, 2012 Arkansas USPSA Sectional Multigun, 2012 Missouri Area 3 Multigun, local matches at Mill Creek and CMMG)

They for sure are an interesting target. They are also a very expensive target. They are also 10 pieces of steel to reset, plus knowledge of the required procedure to get them reset, plus the fooling around it takes to get the thing to stay still at exactly horizontal until the next shooter gets a chance to deal with it.

I like big matches and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny- but when a target shows up w/ a bunch of plates, I get distressed at the time it takes- to reset.

As much fun as they are to shoot, I prefer reset to be easy.

And these are expensive for clubs to buy and use for local matches.

MCTS has a couple of them around here. Only other place I've ever shot them was at the charity challenge. Picture this:

Activated by a popper so its moving when you get to it... and you have a revo....

Not really a challenging target for most mid level and above shooters, if you can handle a star you can handle this. However it does eat the lunch of the new shooters/first match/ shooting my glock 26 guys and they never come back.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the Monthly matches I go to trotted one of these out, and Tyler is right, the Slower shooters were cussing at it and knee deep in mags before they were done. At $1500+ they aren't cheap either. Overall I like the concept and typically enjoy shooting moving targets more than static ones.

I like big matches and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny- but when a target shows up w/ a bunch of plates, I get distressed at the time it takes- to reset.

that was hilarious!

well done sir

Almost all of our steel is MGM, they make great targets.

However, the cost-benefit of this target makes it something only afforded as a luxury for most clubs.

Club I shoot at has one and uses it fairly often.

The MD/stage designers there are a devious bunch with cold black hearts and have put no-shoots or barrels in front on occasion which can make it difficult to speed clean. Like the star there are a few tricks and if all goes well it isn't especially difficult and can be shot such that the prop hardly even moves, but if you blow it and it starts spinning...well, that can be a challenge.

I don't consider resetting it to be hard. Two people can do it in a minute or three if they work together. Hauling it is kind of a hassle but is good exercise for old out of shape guys...or you can wait for the trailer to haul it.

All in all I like it and think the movers can add spice to matches.

Our club has a Polish plate rack, most people hate it. I will go and practice it with my shotgun. I load it up, give it a big spin, walk back and start shooting.

Hurley

• 2 weeks later...

These are expensive!

Reset on them isn't bad at all. There is a locking pin that holds everything parallel to the ground, then the plates are hung in place just like a star. Reset may take 10-15% longer than a texas star since the rig does not move when placing targets on it.

If your club has the dough for one of these, its a blast to shoot. If you are setting up a match that a lot of newer shooters are going to be at....make it a shotgun target instead of a pistol target. Even with a 5rd tubed Mossy500, this isn't that challenging of a target.

They are awesome targets... And super fun to shoot... The hitch for reset is to double check someone pulled the pin... I've seen a few reshoots because someone forgot to pull the pin after getting it all set up... Totally putting a barrel in front of it next match... Thanks!

First time I seem one of these I knew 5 17 round mags was not going to be enough haha. It's was fun to shoot and did ok on the first one. The second one I shot got to spinning like a airplane prop and I just shoot the other targets till it slowed down. MCTS has 2 of these (I think), but its a 3 1/2 hour ride to get there so I don't get to shoot them much.

What he said. These types of targets are fun the first few times but then the reset sucks. I love long range stages where all the steel is self resetting and I can rest my old legs.

What he said. These types of targets are fun the first few times but then the reset sucks. I love long range stages where all the steel is self resetting and I can rest my old legs.

Old legs??? When I was your age I used to run uphill both ways in the snow to set targets :roflol: