Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steyr L9-A1!

For Steyr fans this would seem like the best option for competition. Though I would have liked to have seen a 5" barrel, they increased the M9A1's from 4" to 4.5"

This one is definitely on my list!

I wish they'd make magazines that could take mag extensions. I have 6 M-series Steyrs and shoot them in Pro, L10, steel, & IDPA, and would consider this for a LTD gun if I could get 18-20 rd .40 mags.

A chum of mine has one but cannot seem to find a decent holster for them - this is used for IPSC, so it needs to be more of a "sport" rather than a "duty" type holster.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. :mellow:

Clive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Word of warning.

Before you commit to purchase, make sure you can get a good competition holster for it - nobody seems to manufacture any for this model. :angry2:

Clive

Get a piece of Kydex and bend one up? Take an existing Kydex holster that is close and put the hair dryer to it?

Word of warning.

Before you commit to purchase, make sure you can get a good competition holster for it - nobody seems to manufacture any for this model. :angry2:

Clive

Get a piece of Kydex and bend one up? Take an existing Kydex holster that is close and put the hair dryer to it?

That's what we ended up doing with an old SIG P226 holster I had lying around - but he goes green with envy when we all strut about with our Ghost, DAA and CR Speed race rigs - claims that's what's holding his scores back (in his dreams :D )

• 1 month later...

I just picked up an L9. The magwell seems very narrow compared to, say, a G34, but I had an M9 a few years ago and expected that. Luckily, I shoot with a very good kydex holster maker so I'll be able to try the L9 in a couple of matches soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking for some info fellow Steyr Buffs.

I contacted Steyr a while ago and these ship with 17rd mags now. The 15's are phased out for all M & L models. GREAT!

I unfortunately live where I can only purchase new magazines up to 15 rounds!

And my dealer cannot find a distributor who stocks the L9-A1 with 10 round magazines.

I would get one with NO mags if that is what it takes. I have mags already.

So I am am stuck here.

Has anyone seen this model available with 10 rd magazines?

I also inquired about the rectangular sights and if I understood correctly they are not available YET. But they are listed as an option on the website as are "Match sights". But the website also lists "15 cartridges" as standard so what should I believe.....

Does anyone know anything about ordering one with rectangular sights? Are Steyr Match Sights adjustable?

I've read at least one post on SteyrClub that the L9 they received came with rectangular sights.

"B-T" is a buddy of mine, and I have his guide rods for all of my Steyrs, But there is nothing wrong with the factory, plastic guide rod; it is not "crappy". The striker spring cups from B-T contribute a lot more improvement to the trigger than the guide rods do to the gun fxn. The B-T plug takes away the problem of catching the gap at the rear of the grip and is Production legal. I wouldn't mind if someone came up with a magwell for it, but not sure there is currently enough of a market for it.

• 1 month later...

Looking for some info fellow Steyr Buffs.

I contacted Steyr a while ago and these ship with 17rd mags now. The 15's are phased out for all M & L models. GREAT!

I unfortunately live where I can only purchase new magazines up to 15 rounds!

And my dealer cannot find a distributor who stocks the L9-A1 with 10 round magazines.

I would get one with NO mags if that is what it takes. I have mags already.

So I am am stuck here.

Has anyone seen this model available with 10 rd magazines?

I also inquired about the rectangular sights and if I understood correctly they are not available YET. But they are listed as an option on the website as are "Match sights". But the website also lists "15 cartridges" as standard so what should I believe.....

Does anyone know anything about ordering one with rectangular sights? Are Steyr Match Sights adjustable?

FYI - I just purchased a new L9A1 from a dealer that stocks the model with 10 round magazines. I live in NY state and had to go that route, I ended up buying an extra two mags to total 4 for use in IDPA. If you would like details on the dealer PM me and I will provide his contact info.