• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I'll let my name do the talking. 

Yes - born, raised, and resident of Mississippi. 

Yes - can spell Mississippi. 

Yes - I do shoot a Glock in open.  ( I know, everyone just deducted 20 IQ points from me.)

Quite a diverse group you meet at matches. Aside from the occasional nutjob regardless if they are extreme red or extreme geek the vast majority are great people. Still fun to interact with the different personality types. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pfffft, bsand is hardly brown at all, and if he doesn't talk, you can't tell he is from Canada.

I'm Norwegian/Dane and I'm darker than bsand for half the year.

At work I'm a geek, at home I'm much less so.  On the weekend, I hunt, fish and play at the range every chance I get.

I drove my old Dodge pickup to a match and no one noticed, drove my BMW to a match and heard about it from several people!

We have almost as many hippies here as San Fran, but I've never noticed any at the range.  Must have thinned the herd before I joined.

We also have one black man who I've brought to the range a few times, I think we are getting him hooked on recoil.

Most on my squad are geeks, including three programmers, but they all get along with the plumber and the mechanic.

Whenever I mention how nice and helpful most everyone is at the range, folks who don't shoot often reply "They have to be polite, everyone is carrying a gun!"  I don't buy it, I believe that nice folks tend to shoot as a hobby.

• 1 month later...

Hillbilly from deep in the North Carolina Appalachians. Raised on a farm, worked construction to put myself through college, degree in electronics, can fix anything, even the crack of dawn and a broken heart... 

Motorcycles, hotrods, 4x4s, Off-road racing, UROC, XRRA, ECOR, F-TR Long-range. Done a little of darn near everything.

Had a gun as long as I can remember. My wife got me into Clays and pistols.

Always had pistols but was into long-range rifle. One of the first dates we went on was to the range. She brought two range bags full of pistols! Told her right then I was going to marry her!

USPSA fits my schedule the best of all the shooting comps, so that is where I landed and love it!

5th generation NY Yankee. 90% redneck, 10% geek with ADD.

That 10% really loves to see how things tick and has gotten me in deep trouble at times.

The Redneck part keeps me sane and alive !

We have a diverse crowd from every color spectrum and financial ladder rung at our matches.

Burning powder is the common denominator.

Massachusetts estate planning attorney with an LL.M. in tax law = total geek

Former Marine Corps Precision Weapons Repairman and likes building motorcycles = total redneck

Never gone hunting and doesn't want to = total geek

Active in a sport developed to improve hunting skills (Trap) = total redneck

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

What i find amazing, Geek or Redneck, is that the best shooters are usually from warmer climates than where I'm from. (South east, South West, and Mid west states)It amazes me how good the competition is when I see folks shooting in Florida, Texas, Arizona, and the videos posted on this forum are impressive. Just when I think Im getting good, I see how good the rest of the country shoots, its humbling to say the least. 

What i find amazing, Geek or Redneck, is that the best shooters are usually from warmer climates than where I'm from. (South east, South West, and Mid west states)It amazes me how good the competition is when I see folks shooting in Florida, Texas, Arizona, and the videos posted on this forum are impressive. Just when I think Im getting good, I see how good the rest of the country shoots, its humbling to say the least. 
They have an advantage, they get to shoot and practice all year round, cold states get downgraded to dry fire or indoor range practice during the winter months.