Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red necks and geeks!

The more I look at the people who do this sport, the more I realize that there are two groups of people: red necks and geeks, and some types of hybrid in the middle: geeky red necks and red necky geeks.

Am I the only one to see it this way?

So what are you?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, so many things to add to this!

Nanotechnologist trying to be a redneck is probably a good description, the mostest fakest thing you will see at the range I suspect, but at least I don't drive my wife's Prius to the matches. :goof:

"You know you're a Red Necky Geek if you have calculated the standard deviation AND kurtosis of your .40 S&W competition reload velocity...and have the graphs posted above your reloading bench, right next to the Duck Commander poster!"

Maybe its just AZ?

Around here its all kinds:
old / young
fat / skinny
slow / fast
tall / short
pleasant / not so
helpful / not so
tacticool / practicool
amateur / non
all colors

I think we all walk away from the match happy though.

Edited by Roscoe09292010

"You know you're a Red Necky Geek if you have calculated the standard deviation AND kurtosis of your .40 S&W competition reload velocity...and have the graphs posted above your reloading bench, right next to the Duck Commander poster!"

Kurtosis? I hope your sample size is large enough to warrent noting the Kurtosis, otherwise you are just living a fantacy. (OMG, I am even nerder than I thought and I don't even have a DC poster!). :blush:

Maybe its just AZ?

Around here its all kinds:
old / young
fat / skinny
slow / fast
tall / short
pleasant / not so
helpful / not so
tacticool / practicool
amateur / non
all colors

I think we all walk away from the match happy though.

Agreed. I am old, fat, slow, tall, pleasant, helpful, cool, amateur and all colors.

The more I look at the people who do this sport, the more I realize that there are two groups of people: red necks and geeks, and some types of hybrid in the middle: geeky red necks and red necky geeks.

Am I the only one to see it this way?

So what are you?

I've noticed the same thing. My crew is pretty geeky.

I don't fit in either of those profiles, but I love shooting clays with my Serbu Super Shorty and occasionally bring up heteroskedasticity when somebody starts spouting out "statistics".

Take your pick.

While it might be easy to profile that way, the reality is the shooting community is quite diverse. At least it is here in SoCal.

I think I be a Red Neck. We have a Country Store down the road a short drive where you can find the entire cast of Deliverance out front now and again. I have never heard Banjo music at a match however.

Bob

I don't fit in either of those profiles, but I love shooting clays with my Serbu Super Shorty and occasionally bring up heteroskedasticity when somebody starts spouting out "statistics".

Take your pick.

While it might be easy to profile that way, the reality is the shooting community is quite diverse. At least it is here in SoCal.

First of all, if you have ever spent time in this man's area, diverse is just the beginning. I find the types and numbers of folks that shoot in SoCal is amazing. For those of you who mock "Kalifornia" or whatever, would probably be surprised at the numbers of folks that do shoot, and quite a few more than a few disciplines.

Jocks, cops, nerds, moms, dads, daughters, sons, hotties, out-of-towners, kids, old folks, competitive folks, gruffians, ruffians, jackrabbits, tortoises, snakes, and lizards, they all seem to shoot at our club.

JZ