Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

I've had similar issues with federal cheapo ammo, lot of bolt out of battery being driven down by the hammer to an annoying click. 

I've never had that issue (so far) with Remington GunClub or their next grade up (Remington Clay and Field?)

Having looked at some of the Federal shells that I had to eject, I'd say current federal ammo is trash, some had plastic run over the "brass", some  the base is all sorts of uneven and chewed up, for some the crimp is slightly bulging, etc.  It may be that the Stoeger chamber is less forgiving of this sort of thing or maybe other people are having issues too and not complaining as much, but changing ammo has solved the issue for me (so far)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 M3000's and the Federal bulk packs are hit or miss with them, one gun was firing them no problem then after a while it started to have the "click" every so often. The other gun had more failure to fires. I have ditched the Federal ammo and have gone to Remington Gun Club, 1 1/8 loads and so far they have been good. I have not had any failures since switching. Buying the Remington per case is about the same price as 3 packs of the bulk Federal and you know they will fire. 

Thanks Guys, I will try picking up a few boxes of Gun Clubs to confirm and then buy them by the flat.

I was hoping to use different colored shells for my birdshot vs slugs (I am using the full power Remington Sluggers atm).  But would like to try out some Fiochhi's, I haven't had good luck with other low recoil slugs from Remington or Federal.  They either don't hit the broad side of a barn or don't cycle.  But I guess I can find something that will work.

Only one of the matches I shoot currently ever uses slugs, the other one is strictly bird shot.

Edited by JohnnyD

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up my M3K a week ago and I have been practicing with it. I am completely new to 3 gun so I'm trying to figure out what's best for me to load shells. I have done weak hand load 4, weak l2 and quads and string l2 and quads. My problem is that when loading 2 or quads sometimes the shells are binding up as I insert. The lifter wants to push back down on them and hang up. Anyone else having this problem? Am in just not getting my angles down right? I also feel like i need to open the loading port more because sometimes I can't get the shells all the way into the catch. Any advice?

47 minutes ago, Rescue1 said:

So I picked up my M3K a week ago and I have been practicing with it. I am completely new to 3 gun so I'm trying to figure out what's best for me to load shells. I have done weak hand load 4, weak l2 and quads and string l2 and quads. My problem is that when loading 2 or quads sometimes the shells are binding up as I insert. The lifter wants to push back down on them and hang up. Anyone else having this problem? Am in just not getting my angles down right? I also feel like i need to open the loading port more because sometimes I can't get the shells all the way into the catch. Any advice?

Look at the Taccom Load Assist, its a flat piece of carbon fiber that attaches to the lifter. It will assist greatly at loading the shotgun. I tried the factory lifter as well as the TTI lifter modified for the M3000 and the shells would occasionally hang up while quad loading. With the Taccom load assist I no longer have that problem and my fumble factor when quad loading has greatly diminished. Plus its only a $10 part.

Also opening up the loading port is a must. I would highly recommend sending the gun up to MOA to have them open the port up, the work is top notch and will be what you need to load quads with ease.

I have seen questions posted about the compact stock but no one as provided a firm answer that I could find. Now that I own a M3K I can totally understand why people are cutting down the stock. I am short and stocky so this is on my short list to do.

1. Will the Stoeger Compact Stock fit the Mk3?

2. Is it more beneficial to just cut the stock vice buying the compact considering the compact is only .75 shorter?

3. What is the typical length to cut off from the stock?

4. I have seen many postings about MOA making a pre-fitted Kickezz pad for a shortened stock. Nothing is on their site for this, do you have to contact them?

11 minutes ago, Bam Bam said:

1) Yes, there is a compact stock for the Stoeger M3K, but out of stock.

3) depends on your LOP

Thanks for the information. I am new to shotguns so learning as I go. I looked up a video by Boyds on LOP and I will be taking some measurements this evening!

• 2 weeks later...
I am experimenting with light loads myself right now, but more in the area of playing with the recoil spring length (by this I mean the one around the magazine tube, NOT the one inside the bolt). I will post up what I find out over the weekend. My shotgun runs the 1200fps slugs fine, though the Fiocchi 1300s don't want to be reliable. Not sure why, as I have 3 different 1oz 1200 slug brands that all run 100%. All 1500-1600fps slugs run 100%. 7/8oz Aeros vary from one lot to the next, some 100% some not at all. Lightening the bolt on an inertia gun makes it cycle faster, but does not help it cycle lighter loads. Actually quite the opposite. Benelli work for light loads usually involves adding tungsten or something heavy to the bolt, which helps it resist the initial movement and compress the rebound spring in the bolt more before cycling. I think the Stoegers should be easier to play with because the recoil spring is more accessible, and weight could easily be added to the carrier extension inside the hand guard. I am working towards full reliability with 1oz 1145fps birdshot loads.
Most importantly, these shotguns really can't be counted on to run the lighter stuff until broken in. I have been having good luck using CLP for lube, thicker oils seem to slow it down.

Wondering if Tom can expand on this oldie but a goodie? Is the 3500 spacer the same? Would like to order a spare before cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2017 at 8:19 AM, muddywings said:

Wondering if Tom can expand on this oldie but a goodie? Is the 3500 spacer the same? Would like to order a spare before cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My M3K runs

Fiocchi 1150 1oz Slugs,

Herters 1060 1oz 7.5 LR

Herter's 1250 1oz 7.5 

Winchester 1145  1-1/8oz 7.5 Target loads

Winchester 1200  1-1/8oz 7.5 Universal ( Walmart pack)

Does not run

Fiocchi  1160 1-1/8oz 7.5  Shooting Dynamics

Herter's  1050 1-1/8oz  7.5 LR

This was comparing shooting at 8 targets me and my 13yr old son. Actually the 1050 Herters worked for him but when i moved they didnt work for me.

BB

I had issues with bolt bounce and the "click" and had Stoeger send me a new bolt.  It's been totally remedied so far.  Ran it with a 17 round tube this weekend and it ran good, with one malfunction, but I was shooting from a drop-turner activation box and it could have been me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, fresh meat here but I've read all 129 pages. I've recently got a m3000 sport so far I've swapped the trigger and hammer spring for the tti low recoil springs, polished the stock mag tube, and put in a benelli lifter, I've been trying a pistol grip stock for the past few weeks but I think its making it worse because I can grip it too tight. From the start I was having failure to feed where the fresh shell just sits on the lifter, this was when it was fresh from the box, I'm probably at around 600 rounds now mostly wally federal but lastnight I tried 3 boxes of remington (clay and sport?) with the yellow strip that says reloable sports with not as many ftl but still a few. All shells are 3 dram, I also get a stove pipe maybe 1 out of 10 failures and lastnight I had 2 where the bolt closed on an empty chamber with the remingtons. It's hard to say how many failures I have because it's extremely dependent on my grip, if I let the gun just float and keep my trigger hand open (not gripping the pistol grip just laying against the web of my hand) and just resting on my shoulder it seems to cycle ok, but then I start shooting good and forget to hold it like a cloud and I get a shell laying on the lifter. The lifter doesn't get locked up cause any movement to the bolt or bumping the gun makes it load. It's really getting frustrating, I shot 5 rounds of skeet lastnight and getting 20-23 but the malfunction shake me up then Im back to thinking about holding the gun rather then shooting.

Should I put it all back to stock then decide to send it back or should I continue swapping parts. To add I'm new to shotguns in general, just started trap before last winter so maybe it's me. I shot with a local (pro) and he didn't say anything about my stance or hold and he was pretty vocal about everything else.

Any help I'm all ears/eyes and thanks in advance.

No recoil reducer and shells was 7.5 and 8 shot 1 1/8 1200fps 3gram eq.

Edit: Think I'll swap the stock back to origanal but man that pistol grip feels so good. I don't have good luck with shotguns, got a silver reserve 2 SS that hits about 6 inches right and high. Buy once cry once but guess I'll never learn.

Edited by tjmiller
Add info

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:48 AM, tjmiller said:

Hi all, fresh meat here but I've read all 129 pages. I've recently got a m3000 sport so far I've swapped the trigger and hammer spring for the tti low recoil springs, polished the stock mag tube, and put in a benelli lifter, I've been trying a pistol grip stock for the past few weeks but I think its making it worse because I can grip it too tight. From the start I was having failure to feed where the fresh shell just sits on the lifter, this was when it was fresh from the box, I'm probably at around 600 rounds now mostly wally federal but lastnight I tried 3 boxes of remington (clay and sport?) with the yellow strip that says reloable sports with not as many ftl but still a few. All shells are 3 dram, I also get a stove pipe maybe 1 out of 10 failures and lastnight I had 2 where the bolt closed on an empty chamber with the remingtons. It's hard to say how many failures I have because it's extremely dependent on my grip, if I let the gun just float and keep my trigger hand open (not gripping the pistol grip just laying against the web of my hand) and just resting on my shoulder it seems to cycle ok, but then I start shooting good and forget to hold it like a cloud and I get a shell laying on the lifter. The lifter doesn't get locked up cause any movement to the bolt or bumping the gun makes it load. It's really getting frustrating, I shot 5 rounds of skeet lastnight and getting 20-23 but the malfunction shake me up then Im back to thinking about holding the gun rather then shooting.

Should I put it all back to stock then decide to send it back or should I continue swapping parts. To add I'm new to shotguns in general, just started trap before last winter so maybe it's me. I shot with a local (pro) and he didn't say anything about my stance or hold and he was pretty vocal about everything else.

Any help I'm all ears/eyes and thanks in advance.

TJ, while you may have other issues going on, ANY time that you have the bolt close on an empty chamber with a Stoeger, you 100% are not using shells that are powerful enough.  If the bolt goes all the way to the rear, then there is no way it can go forward without the lifter coming up...thus the bolt is not going all the way to the rear...meaning your shells are underpowered  If you are using 1 1/8oz 1200fps, then switch to 1250 or 1300.

51 minutes ago, 12Bravo said:

You will not be able to compress by hand. Disassemble the bolt and dump the spring out, it will be pretty obvious if it is broken. 

I got it out, it's not broke or look off but I can absolutely get it to smash a little with a bare hand pushing it against a table, with a plate to push down I can get it to move a good bit. Maybe I just need a spring.