Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carlson do everything a choke are supposed to do with out the price of a Briley or Pure ($$$) Gold's

We are shooting 3 Gun not sporting clays.

I use 3 chokes.

Close=Cylinder

Medium=Lt Mod

and who the hell put that target out there!=Im Mod.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

What chokes are you all running for 3-gun events? I'm looking into extended chokes for a m3000. Do crio chokes work?

I've decided to listen to KurtM (god save me!) and this year I've been running a single choke for everything, namely LM. I haven't gone as far as soldering it in place, but I went with the Briley Spectrum extended beretta/benelli Mobil choke and I've been quite happy. I figure if I end up needing to use one of the 3 chokes it came with during a match, then I'll order another Briley for that size/constriction.

Edited by Vlad

Anyone looking for a M3k Champion Firearms had a few instock today for 575.Their number is 979 693-9948 also my local gun shop has a m3000 26 inch instock 325 232-7501

Hope this helps

Craig

Edited by craigsteffek

I bought one at Cabelas in Delaware today. They just got it in yesterday. It's also has the new style load port like the one a few posts ago. Price was $629.99 OTD.

I bought one at Cabelas in Delaware today. They just got it in yesterday. It's also has the new style load port like the one a few posts ago. Price was $629.99 OTD.

Please try out that new port and let us know how you like it...please don't mod the port until you try it.

Please try out that new port and let us know how you like it...please don't mod the port until you try it.

I don't think I need to grind it. The way it is now there is no need to insert the tip of your thumb into the tube to get the shells to catch. You can keep the tip of your thumb pointing outward and use the side of your thumb. Just kinda sweep em in there. I think practice is all that is needed, not a Metabo.

Maybe... My new press already broke, my MKA is at tooth and nail, I sent my primary rifle to Nordic, my new pistols wont be here for another month... I think mostly I just didn't have anything to play with. Lol

Should have kept the 650! I just ordered low recoil rounds for the shotgun only match.

I just got my Benelli extractor and spring in. I'm debating swapping them in my M3000 even though I'm not having problems with shells ejecting.

New tech on the extractor issue- I really don't believe in the long run that replacing all these extractors and springs is going to be necessary. I have some pictures to show what I mean. In almost every case where we have had a Stoeger come in due to extraction issues, we have found scratches on both sides of the extractor as shown in the first picture. If you push the extractor to one side or the other of its slot in the bolt head and try to pivot it, you can feel it bind on the sides of the slot. It feels kind of gritty, like sandpaper. After removing the extractor, small burrs are evident right at the top edges of the slot. My son's shotgun began having extraction issues at the MGM Junior camp after many months and at least 2,000 rounds of flawless function. After getting back, I decided to trouble-shoot instead of just replacing every part in sight. So, I used a diamond coated needle file to remove the burrs at the mouth of the slot, and flat-polished the sides of the extractor on 600 grit paper to remove the burrs along the scratches shown in the pic. After re-installation, drag on the sides of the extractor was significantly less than before. On Saturday, we had a local 3gun match, and my son shared the shotgun with another shooter. Between the two of them there were nearly 200 rounds fired with no more extraction issues, FROM THE SAME LOT OF AMMO that was giving 1-2 FTEs per magazine load earlier in the week at the camp.

So, in conclusion, the Benelli extractor may be a Band-Aid fix. If your extractor looks like the pic, it is only going to fix the problem until the new extractor is also binding up. Check for burrs in the extractor slot. The slightly stronger spring may help overcome the drag, but I put the Stoeger factory spring back in and it worked fine once the underlying cause was addressed.

post-48876-0-88419100-1438307141_thumb.j

post-48876-0-91777800-1438307154_thumb.j

New tech on the extractor issue- I really don't believe in the long run that replacing all these extractors and springs is going to be necessary. I have some pictures to show what I mean. In almost every case where we have had a Stoeger come in due to extraction issues, we have found scratches on both sides of the extractor as shown in the first picture. If you push the extractor to one side or the other of its slot in the bolt head and try to pivot it, you can feel it bind on the sides of the slot. It feels kind of gritty, like sandpaper. After removing the extractor, small burrs are evident right at the top edges of the slot. My son's shotgun began having extraction issues at the MGM Junior camp after many months and at least 2,000 rounds of flawless function. After getting back, I decided to trouble-shoot instead of just replacing every part in sight. So, I used a diamond coated needle file to remove the burrs at the mouth of the slot, and flat-polished the sides of the extractor on 600 grit paper to remove the burrs along the scratches shown in the pic. After re-installation, drag on the sides of the extractor was significantly less than before. On Saturday, we had a local 3gun match, and my son shared the shotgun with another shooter. Between the two of them there were nearly 200 rounds fired with no more extraction issues, FROM THE SAME LOT OF AMMO that was giving 1-2 FTEs per magazine load earlier in the week at the camp.

So, in conclusion, the Benelli extractor may be a Band-Aid fix. If your extractor looks like the pic, it is only going to fix the problem until the new extractor is also binding up. Check for burrs in the extractor slot. The slightly stronger spring may help overcome the drag, but I put the Stoeger factory spring back in and it worked fine once the underlying cause was addressed.

So how does this explain extration issues out of the box?

If the burrs are bad, the extractor may be hanging up from the get-go. Keep in mind that when the bolt closes, the extractor cams out completely off the rim of the cartridge when it hits the breech cut in the barrel, and doesn't re-grab until the bolt head rotates out of battery. If the extractor is sticking in its slot, it may not rotate inward consistently to get a good grip on the rim every time.

Is this something that will be done on M3000s and M3Ks that have the Competition package done by MOA? Just wondering if the parts will be swapped with the benelli versions still and then i should still polish the parts when the shotgun arrives at home.

Thank you for your dedication to quality. I look forward to having my shotgun worked on my your shop.

Edited by roadie3

All shotguns going forward that leave our shop will be checked for this issue and deburred. Faulty extractors will be replaced. The P3K Signature gun will have the Benelli parts installed per Pat's request unless he changes that requirement at some point in the future.

It takes 5 minutes to remove the extractor, polish the slot, and check for free movement. Like polishing the magazine tube, if it needs to be done to ensure reliability, it will be done before we put our name on it. Period. I will also mention it to Stoeger in the hopes that the issue is addressed at the factory, so nobody running a Stoeger will have to worry about it. But for now at least, I can only assure that for the ones that go through our shop.

Anyone looking for a M3k Champion Firearms had a few instock today for 575.Their number is 979 693-9948 also my local gun shop has a m3000 26 inch instock 325 232-7501

Hope this helps

Craig

Champion Firearms also has M3000 26" in stock for $475 + $25 for shipping. I was able to have my M3K shipped directly to MOA Precision to have work done.

Anyone have a video on how to replace the extractor and spring?

I'm a visual learner and the exploded view in the manual does nothing for me.

My thoughts are if I'm going to check the extractor for issues, I might as well just polish it and install the benelli parts I have.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Anyone have a video on how to replace the extractor and spring?

I'm a visual learner and the exploded view in the manual does nothing for me.

My thoughts are if I'm going to check the extractor for issues, I might as well just polish it and install the benelli parts I have.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'll see if I can get a few minutes free tonight to knock out a quick video. Will let you know if I can.

H