Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

220 grit run lengthwise with the tube, then 320, 400, 600 run wet with WD40. Alternate between a cross-hatch polish and lengthwise to prevent digging grooves. 600 with WD, run in the direction of contact is plenty, though it does not hurt to go farther as Jesse did. You may have to start rougher than 220 if it is really bad, but the roughest on I have seen took about 15 min total starting with the 220.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went conservative - 400/600/1500 and didn't try to get all the marks out, just smooth and improve. It did make a noticeable improvement in how the piece felt during manual manipulation - did it make a difference for live fire? Dunno if it was significant or not. Partially there's the whole break in thing happening for me at the same time I'm mucking about with abrasives.... Did hand it to a JM930 shooter at the range the other day and his eyes lit up and he said 'SMOOTH' after he played with it a bit. :)

Any word on when th M3K JT pro series is coming out? I heard it might be postponed because of PETA and a Beaver labor dispute or something? Congrats Jesse and thanks for all the pro input on this shotti

What has everyone been using to cut the buttstock down and how much can you take off safely (I would like to take off about 2")? Thinking maybe a band saw ???

I used a 10" Dewalt miter saw set at 90 deg. It worked great. The hard part is grinding the stock pad to go up inside the stock. I have switched to the Kickeez pad and not only is it easier to work with and easier on the shoulder, but it also doesn't have to fit up inside the stock. You will have to drill an extra hole in the kickeez pad though which is pretty easy when you drill it when it's frozen.

You will also have to drill the holes deeper in the buttstock. You shouldn't have any trouble cutting 1.5".

Edited by Ryan N

I just sent a good customer a couple pictures of a hammer modification for easier cocking, which also reduces battering of the sear hooks. On most of these shotguns, if you remove the trigger group and cock the hammer by hand you can feel a catch where the hammer spring plunger is actually camming over the nose on the rear of the hammer. If you ease the hammer back forward slowly, it will grab and then pop over the nose, right before it engages the hooks. On a brand new gun, it may even come to a complete stop before it engages the trigger! By increasing the size of the radius on the back of the hammer, it noticeably increases the smoothness of the transition, and increases the hammer velocity (and therefore striking energy) while reducing battering wear on the trigger and disconnector hooks. See pics for more details.......

Thanks for the input Boom!

Tom

post-48876-0-67996600-1398289589_thumb.j

post-48876-0-16675300-1398289610_thumb.j

I just sent a good customer a couple pictures of a hammer modification for easier cocking, which also reduces battering of the sear hooks. On most of these shotguns, if you remove the trigger group and cock the hammer by hand you can feel a catch where the hammer spring plunger is actually camming over the nose on the rear of the hammer. If you ease the hammer back forward slowly, it will grab and then pop over the nose, right before it engages the hooks. On a brand new gun, it may even come to a complete stop before it engages the trigger! By increasing the size of the radius on the back of the hammer, it noticeably increases the smoothness of the transition, and increases the hammer velocity (and therefore striking energy) while reducing battering wear on the trigger and disconnector hooks. See pics for more details.......

Thanks for the input Boom!

Tom

Very interesting. Have you compared it to a Benelli?

In general everyone seems to be able to run Wally World (Federal 7.5 -3 dram 11/8 shot) Through there M3K these run at 1200 FPS. i'm looking for some help finding the lowest velocity, or FPS ( SLUG) that will run Reliably along with Accuracy out to at least 100 yards . If you've done any testing with slug, Please share it

Just wondering but what size extension would sit flush with a 28" barrel? And what are you guys using to carry these? it definitely doesnt fit in my 46" bag.

I too am looking for a case. I have a +8 on my 26" and its overall lengths is ~57". Longest case i can find locally is roughly 50"

In general everyone seems to be able to run Wally World (Federal 7.5 -3 dram 11/8 shot) Through there M3K these run at 1200 FPS. i'm looking for some help finding the lowest velocity, or FPS ( SLUG) that will run Reliably along with Accuracy out to at least 100 yards . If you've done any testing with slug, Please share it

After initial polish attempt of mag tube I could not reliably run anything under 1250fps.

My list from testing so far. M3k with a +8. All birdshot testing done with 8 shells in tube. Slug testing was done with 1 in chamber 2 in tube.

Good

Winchester AA 12ga 3Dr 1oz #8 1290 FPS

Winchester AA 12ga 3Dr 1oz #7.5 1290 FPS (over 200 shells now)

Winchester AA 12ga 3Dr 1oz #7.5 1300 FPS

Estate 1 1/8oz #7.5 1250 FPS

Estate 1oz #7.5 1290 FPS

Remington Heavy Dove #8 1255FPS

Slugs: Remington Sluggers 1oz

Bad - anything under 1250. Some would cycle a few times before the FTE but they all would do it.

Federal 1 1/8oz #8 1145FPS (FTE)

Federal 1oz #8 1145FPS (FTE)

Estate 1oz #7.5 1145 FPS (FTE)

RIO (dont remember all the info) (FTE)

Winchester Supertarget 1 1/8oz 1145fps (FTE)

Slugs: Remington Low Recoil slugs (FTE)

I am going to polish to a mirror polish like Oskino up above and try run through these again.

Edited by NickO

NickO I was trying to figure out based on the different brands of (Slugs) that others are using . Whether that's 1300, 1500, or 1600 FPS "OUCH" that would run reliably in a Stoeger M3K. Granted there are differences between shotguns, but The over GOAL would be reducing the amount of "Felt recoil"= Faster sight acquisition. :goof:

NickO I was trying to figure out based on the different brands of (Slugs) that others are using . Whether that's 1300, 1500, or 1600 FPS "OUCH" that would run reliably in a Stoeger M3K. Granted there are differences between shotguns, but The over GOAL would be reducing the amount of "Felt recoil"= Faster sight acquisition. :goof:

I'll be experimenting with different slugs soon. The Remington low recoils shot nicely and on paper at 30 and 50yrds, just wouldn't cycle my bolt.

a friend with a M2 uses some fiochii low recoil slug that I plan to try next.

1300 Truballs run in mine.. 100%

1200-1oz speer lawman 100%

1300-7/8oz Fiocchis, Depends on the lot. either 100% or 25% from case to case.

ANYTHING over 1350, regardless of brand 100%

Remington Reduced Sluggers (1200-1oz I think) 100%

I haven't tried any of the low recoil stuff again since I shortened the plastic spacer behind the recoil spring. Not sure if they will run now like the lighter bird shot does. Can't check this weekend as I am qualifying on my motorcycle and won't have time to shoot. :(

Edited by openclassterror