Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Build a jig out of light ply to ensure the stock is square and cut her with a miter saw, or even a miter box and box saw. Some hand files or a dremel and you'll be set. Being 5'6" I have to cut down every shotgun I own. Ive done no fewer than 10 and all look good... Even the 1100 I cut down when I was 15 years old, really is an easy task if you are moderatly handy. If you can open up your loading port, a stock is easy peasy.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any gunsmith should be able to fit and grind a recoil pad. I just did it the redneck way. I cut the stock with my miter saw and ground it with my belt sander clamped on a bench. Any decent smith should have a bandsaw, jig, and disk sander to get the job done right.

Yeah? Please name one that works on 3 gun shotguns.
Accurate Iron won't shorten a stock? What about Steve Rose? That stuff isn't rocket science, nor are the jigs pricey.

He's done a few and told me that was enough.

Build a jig out of light ply to ensure the stock is square and cut her with a miter saw, or even a miter box and box saw. Some hand files or a dremel and you'll be set. Being 5'6" I have to cut down every shotgun I own. Ive done no fewer than 10 and all look good... Even the 1100 I cut down when I was 15 years old, really is an easy task if you are moderatly handy. If you can open up your loading port, a stock is easy peasy.

I wouldn't try one. It looks like it requires precision. Opening a loading port requires very little of that.

I wouldn't try one. It looks like it requires precision. Opening a loading port requires very little of that.

See I would think different. I cut 3/4" off mine, it was easy. I did monkey up the butt pad though, but I plan to replace it with a Kick-Eez anyway. I haven't touched my loading port yet.

See I would think different. I cut 3/4" off mine, it was easy. I did monkey up the butt pad though, but I plan to replace it with a Kick-Eez anyway. I haven't touched my loading port yet.

Loading port is material removal with the only defining line being the one that holds the follower in. You don't have to remount and fit anything or make it look nice as it's gonna be bare metal no matter what you do. I know I'd cut that stick at an angle and Id but shooting high or low forever.

Any gunsmith should be able to fit and grind a recoil pad. I just did it the redneck way. I cut the stock with my miter saw and ground it with my belt sander clamped on a bench. Any decent smith should have a bandsaw, jig, and disk sander to get the job done right.

I saw on FB that Steve Rose built a M2 for Katelyn Francis. I bet he did a lot of chopping to get it down to her size. The benellis would take a lot more work with those clip in pads.

Jesse, that is a funny post, you of all people claiming to not have precision, ive seen you shoot! :lol:

I know C-Rums has cut down SLP stocks. {shrug}

I cut my M3000 stock 1" with a miter saw and still used the same screw holes to re-attach the stock recoil pad. I did have to drill the holes deeper with a 5/32" drill. I also had to recess the holes about 3/16" to allow for the recoil pad to fit in(see photo below). The toughest part of this whole procedure is to remove the material from the back side of the recoil pad so that it goes up inside the stock. And, as I stated before, shaping the Stoeger pad was tougher than any other pad I have worked on.

FYI, freezing rubber makes it a lot easier to work on. You can actually drill holes in it if needed.

post-24626-0-46936100-1391904155_thumb.j

+1 on freezing the pad. Also, use a BRAND NEW disc on the sander, or if finishing by hand, use fresh wet-or-dry paper lightly wetted with wd-40 for finishing up the pad edges. When you can feel the pad getting squishy again, back to the freezer. Takes a bit of time and several freezer cycles if hand-sanding, you can usually finish it in one shot with a disc sander. I use two discs, rough with 80, finish with 180. If you go finer on the grit the pad just melts from the increased surface contact. Then a light blend with 1" wide strips of abrasive cloth and the WD.

I think I found a good buy on extended choke tubes. Beretta MobilChoke are the correct ones, right? CDNN has them for $12.99. They have Cyl, Imp, Mod and Full. I was thinking about getting the Imp and Mod.

I bought a Cheap diffusion choke from cdnn once too.

Did it work for you or was that the firat and last time

I never patterned it but it had rifling just like my $70 Briley so I don't see why it wouldn't diffuse or spread the shot the same. I think it sold along with one of the many M1's I've sold along the way.

Legal definition of barrel length ATF uses is the distance from the face of the closed bolt to the end of the barrel. If you drop a cleaning rod down the bore until it touches the bolt and mark it, it should be close to 26". Some types of guns have more barrel inside the receiver than others (bullpups for instance), so some type of standard had to be developed.

Good info Tom, you were exactly right...distance from the bolt face to the end of the barrel is 26" on the nose.

I think I found a good buy on extended choke tubes. Beretta MobilChoke are the correct ones, right? CDNN has them for $12.99. They have Cyl, Imp, Mod and Full. I was thinking about getting the Imp and Mod.

Yes those are the correct ones. I bought some for my Benelli, they seem like good chokes and you can't beat the price.

Broke down and grabed a 3000. The lgs had one that had a small nick in the reciver so they knocked off another $20 off the already low price of $449. Plus I had a $25 gift card so that was a pretty easy one on the pocketbook;-) now comes the fun part of breaking it in and hacking it apart! Need to do a loading port and shorten the stock

Hi - I'm just getting started and decided on an 26" M3000 for my first 3gun shotty. I've read this entire thread, but I have a couple of questions still:

- Is there an enlarged bolt release that works as-is or with only minor mods? (have the usual hand/power tools, but no mill)

- Is there an upgraded charging handle that drops in?

I can't post hyperlinks yet, but I saw that CDNN has a 5-pack of extended choke tubes for $40. "Beretta 12Ga Extended 3/4" MobilChoke Package, 5-Chokes New Factory Item# BEREXT4PK". Are these appropriate?

I'll pick up the MOA/Nordic +6 mag extension. It sounds like the standard Nordic 12Ga low-drag follower works fine (SKU: FOL-SG-12-00). Do I need to order a spring separately? Should I get the barrel clamp or ignore that for now?

Thanks!

Ross

I believe the Taran Tactical charging handle is a drop in. I've got a Nordic Components lightweight bolt handle but did have to dremel a bit off of it. Here's the one I bought. http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/bolt-handles/nc-bolt-operating-handle-for-remington-versa-max-12-gauge/

I don't believe there are any bolt releases that just drop in. Every one I've seen from TTI to NC to Ar.. requires a drill and tap. You would think that someone would just come up with a pre-tapped button for use.

Yes, the standard low-drag follower is a fit but not the Nova one. If you get an MXT kit the spring will come with it, otherwise order the tube alone and a spring.

As far as a barrel clamp, I got one for mine because I've got a 26" barrel and got the +9 tube to go with it so there's about 7" of mag tube that sticks out past the barrel. I figure if I'm going to dump this in a barrel for 3 gun then I might as well have a little more stability. Your mileage my vary, though.

Edited by iswope

Hi - I'm just getting started and decided on an 26" M3000 for my first 3gun shotty. I've read this entire thread, but I have a couple of questions still:

- Is there an enlarged bolt release that works as-is or with only minor mods? (have the usual hand/power tools, but no mill)

I can't post hyperlinks yet, but I saw that CDNN has a 5-pack of extended choke tubes for $40. "Beretta 12Ga Extended 3/4" MobilChoke Package, 5-Chokes New Factory Item# BEREXT4PK". Are these appropriate?

I'll pick up the MOA/Nordic +6 mag extension. It sounds like the standard Nordic 12Ga low-drag follower works fine (SKU: FOL-SG-12-00). Do I need to order a spring separately? Should I get the barrel clamp or ignore that for now?

Thanks!

Ross

I believe the Taran Tactical charging handle is a drop in. I've got a Nordic Components lightweight bolt handle but did have to dremel a bit off of it. Here's the one I bought. http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/bolt-handles/nc-bolt-operating-handle-for-remington-versa-max-12-gauge/

I don't believe there are any bolt releases that just drop in. Every one I've seen from TTI to NC to Ar.. requires a drill and tap. You would think that someone would just come up with a pre-tapped button for use.

Yes, the standard low-drag follower is a fit but not the Nova one. If you get an MXT kit the spring will come with it, otherwise order the tube alone and a spring.

As far as a barrel clamp, I got one for mine because I've got a 26" barrel and got the +9 tube to go with it so there's about 7" of mag tube that sticks out past the barrel. I figure if I'm going to dump this in a barrel for 3 gun then I might as well have a little more stability. Your mileage my vary, though.

The Taran Tactical charging handle is not a drop in fit. it must be turned down slightly, but this can be done very easily using a drill and sandpaper. PM me if you would like me to explain how to do it. Also I believe that MOA Precision is working on a drop in charging handle.

As for the bolt release, the existing release must be drilled and tapped but this is a relatively simple process. We have a complete tutorial on this install here http://youtu.be/lKuLALLhzsQ.

Those should be the correct chokes.

I have been running the +6 extension for a while now without the clamp and havent had any issues. Anything longer and i would suggest it though

Thanks!

Ross

If you buy a complete Nordic tube, nut and cap it comes with a spring. If you're just buying the tube and a cap you probably need to order a spring. Buy 2-5 of them as you want to have extras around.

The easiest bolt release I've seen is this one that mimics the old Dave's Metal Works tab. I think this one maybe courtesy of KurtM at Red Neck Tactical but i can't see everything on my phone.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-related-parts/benelli-rapid-bolt-release-tabs-prod61488.aspx#.Uvj5RFr8UUk.facebook

Thanks!

Ross

If you buy a complete Nordic tube, nut and cap it comes with a spring. If you're just buying the tube and a cap you probably need to order a spring. Buy 2-5 of them as you want to have extras around.

The easiest bolt release I've seen is this one that mimics the old Dave's Metal Works tab. I think this one maybe courtesy of KurtM at Red Neck Tactical but i can't see everything on my phone.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-related-parts/benelli-rapid-bolt-release-tabs-prod61488.aspx#.Uvj5RFr8UUk.facebook

Barrel clamps are nice but not a necessity.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser