Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Can anyone here give me some input on using the Stoeger M3000 as a beginner getting involved with 3-Gun? While it's made in Turkey and not Italy, at around $450.00 is seems like a tremendous buy compared to the Benellis which share the Inertial Operating System.

It comes in a 26" barrel which would be legal for 3-Gun matches here locally. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one just to test for suitability as a 3-Gun tool. IN STOCK FORM it has 1500 rounds though it will no malfunctions.

500 of those were in one afternoon without any servicing. If this keeps up for a bit longer I'll take it down and see how

it is holding up. Then I will tube it, port it and run the crap out of it.

Reliability is the key for any shotgun used for 3 gun. Also accessories like magazine tubes, Easy loaders etc.The Mossburg 930 is up to the task without breaking the bank. They are being used in 3 gun and have passed the test so to speak.

I have one just to test for suitability as a 3-Gun tool. IN STOCK FORM it has 1500 rounds though it will no malfunctions.

500 of those were in one afternoon without any servicing. If this keeps up for a bit longer I'll take it down and see how

Thanks. Please keep us informed.

As a Benelli insider, can you reveal if there are any real differences between the Benelli and Stoeger Inertial Operating Systems? Thanks again.

Reliability is the key for any shotgun used for 3 gun. Also accessories like magazine tubes, Easy loaders etc.The Mossburg 930 is up to the task without breaking the bank. They are being used in 3 gun and have passed the test so to speak.

Indeed. I cannot find a company that makes a mag extensions for the M3000. Several make them for the M2000, but not the M3000 -- yet.

As a Benelli insider, can you reveal if there are any real differences between the Benelli and Stoeger Inertial Operating Systems? Thanks again.

Off the top of my head. The action spring is not behind the receiver. It is wrapped around the magazine tube.

The M3000 appears to be a significant quality level above the M2000.

The junction of the forend and receiver is smooth with no FN SLP or Versa Max "Step" that has to be cut away.

It accepts Benelli Super Nova tube extensions.

I think it is going to be hard to beat as a under $500 power tool.

Off the top of my head. The action spring is not behind the receiver. It is wrapped around the magazine tube.

The junction of the forend and receiver is smooth with no FN SLP or Versa Max "Step" that has to be cut away.

Thanks again for your insight. For what it's worth, you're by far my favorite 3-Gun pro. Good luck with your competitive shooting...

I actually had a question about the extension tube that you used. What brand was it, because I tried the Nordic Components tube for the supernova and it would thread on about 2.5 turns and then would just lock up. If there is something that I am missing please enlighten me because this would make an awesome 3-gun shotgun. I have put roughly 500 rounds through this gun without a single malfunction. Thanks ahead of time

I actually had a question about the extension tube that you used. What brand was it, because I tried the Nordic Components tube for the supernova and it would thread on about 2.5 turns and then would just lock up. If there is something that I am missing please enlighten me because this would make an awesome 3-gun shotgun. I have put roughly 500 rounds through this gun without a single malfunction. Thanks ahead of time

I don't know what to tell you….I just slapped it on yesterday for a test drive. It works great.

When I bought a nortic tube a couple months ago it came with a little piece of paper with all of their models on it. They had one for a m3500, I don't know if that would be the same as a m3000 tube or not.

• 2 weeks later...

The M3000 and the M3500 seem to share the same magazine tube, and for this year, it would appear that they have changed the tube design slightly over earlier models. There is an unthreaded portion of the magazine tube, forward of the barrel nut threads, ~.25" or so, that interferes with the Nordic Barrel Nut. If this is removed and cleaned up, the Magazine Extension Tubes should fit and function properly. As Mr. Kelley had pointed out, the shotgun works with Beretta/Nova extensions.

• 4 weeks later...

There is an unthreaded portion of the magazine tube, forward of the barrel nut threads, ~.25" or so, that interferes with the Nordic Barrel Nut. If this is removed and cleaned up, the Magazine Extension Tubes should fit and function properly. As Mr. Kelley had pointed out, the shotgun works with Beretta/Nova extensions.

^^^ This, I bought one of these for some of the new guys to try at our local matches, kinda try before you buy. I cut approx.5/16 off the mag tube and the Nova nut fit perfect. Up to that point it was a no-go. They look like they will be very similar to the M1 when opening up the loading port but the trigger guard assembly looks like it will need some attention unlike the M1. The lifter looks like the "old" M1 lifters so welding it up won't be quite the priority for these.

For a small buy-in, this gun looks like it will be good for the new/occasional shooter, especially after the test drives that some have posted about

There is an unthreaded portion of the magazine tube, forward of the barrel nut threads, ~.25" or so, that interferes with the Nordic Barrel Nut. If this is removed and cleaned up, the Magazine Extension Tubes should fit and function properly. As Mr. Kelley had pointed out, the shotgun works with Beretta/Nova extensions.

^^^ This, I bought one of these for some of the new guys to try at our local matches, kinda try before you buy. I cut approx.5/16 off the mag tube and the Nova nut fit perfect. Up to that point it was a no-go. They look like they will be very similar to the M1 when opening up the loading port but the trigger guard assembly looks like it will need some attention unlike the M1. The lifter looks like the "old" M1 lifters so welding it up won't be quite the priority for these.

For a small buy-in, this gun looks like it will be good for the new/occasional shooter, especially after the test drives that some have posted about

I just got a Nordic Components extension for my M3000. I got the tube model designed for the Nova/Supernova.

The barrel nut doesn't seem to be the same threads as the ones on the shotgun. I removed the 1/4" unthreaded portion of the mag tube but the NC barrel nut still doesn't turn all the way down.

I'm not running out of threads on the NC barrel nut. The problem is that the threads just stop turning.

I took a pair of slip jaw pliers and really cranked on that sucker.

It's a little annoying that I can't hand tighten/remove it though.

So you were able to screw it into place with the pliers after removing the unthreaded part of the tube? I have one of these shotguns and it has been totally reliable thus far. Wanted to run it in the local 3-gun matches but wasn't sure about an extension tube.

BTW, I'm new to 3-gun. My Stoeger 3000 is the 28 incher. Any problem running it in 3-gun?

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. I went ahead and ordered a Nordic extension (Nova/Supernova version) for my 3000. Had to cut off the unthreaded part of the mag tube on the shotgun as some have already stated. Also had the same difficulty as d-striker with threading on the new nut/tube. It would turn on about 2 turns and that was it. I sanded lightly (it took several repetitions) on the threads on the mag tube and on the extension nut until I could turn it all the way down tight (it still takes pliers for the last half turn or so). I used my dremel to bevel the inside edge of the mag tube where I had cut off the unthreaded part. I beveled it pretty good. It runs 100% with the Nordic follower. 12 rounds if you ghost load it (I have a 28 inch barrel but a 26 would match up perfect to the +7 extension). I know 8+1 is the max for Tactical class but most times you can load more after the buzzer. BTW, it runs 2.75 dram 1 1/8th ounce loads too. This shotgun has been 100% reliable for me both before and after the new extension. It will be my backup/loaner gun. Just need to send it off and have the loading port opened up.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a Nordic extension for the M2000 on the M3000? Or is that an obvious no-go that I'm just missing? Another question, does anyone know where you can get a replacement M3000 barrel? Or will a M3500 replacement barrel, which can be found, work in the M300?

Has anyone tried a Nordic extension for the M2000 on the M3000? Or is that an obvious no-go that I'm just missing? Another question, does anyone know where you can get a replacement M3000 barrel? Or will a M3500 replacement barrel, which can be found, work in the M300?

I have both and they are not interchangeable. Not even close.

Wow, very intriguing thread. I'm looking for an entry level 3-gun shotgun and am considering a Stoeger 3000. Other than the extension tube, what needs to be done? Welded lifter?

I am probably gonna have the loading port opened up but that will be the extent of my mods (with the extension of course). Not sure if this is the same on all the 3000's, but I can ghost load mine. I have not had it modded for that feature.

Wow, very intriguing thread. I'm looking for an entry level 3-gun shotgun and am considering a Stoeger 3000. Other than the extension tube, what needs to be done? Welded lifter?

I am probably gonna have the loading port opened up but that will be the extent of my mods (with the extension of course). Not sure if this is the same on all the 3000's, but I can ghost load mine. I have not had it modded for that feature.

Thanks Scoop. I've done massive research and I'm 99% sure I'm going with a 24" M3000 once they are back in stock everywhere, looking forward to messing around with it.

• 1 month later...

Hi all-

hate to resurrect an older thread, but have some fresh info to add. It appears that there was a running change in production on the mag-tube threads. The current m3000 threads are a metric thread with a different pitch than the Supernova. I bought a Nordic modular mag tube, and I ended up re cutting the threads in the removeable adapter nut to fit the stoeger. Luckily, it is slightly larger, so even with the recut threads there is plenty of metal for a good joint after re-threading. An easy enough lathe job for any competent gunsmith. I have been using it to compete in open class all summer with a 13 shot extension, which allows 15 total with the ghost load. ZERO malfunctions since the day I bought it. I am impressed so far. I am working with arredondo in an attempt to get a speed loader bracket that is not drilled for the cross pin so I can adapt it to this platform. It does not appear to be a drop in fit for any of the Benelli models. If I can proto a speedloader funnel that works for this shotgun I will probably make several. As far as I am concerned, this shotgun is the best-kept secret on the market in the bang-for-buck category. I bought it as an inexpensive backup, and it has become my primary shotgun on any match I can shoot without needing speedloader tubes.

Hi all-

hate to resurrect an older thread, but have some fresh info to add. It appears that there was a running change in production on the mag-tube threads. The current m3000 threads are a metric thread with a different pitch than the Supernova. I bought a Nordic modular mag tube, and I ended up re cutting the threads in the removeable adapter nut to fit the stoeger. Luckily, it is slightly larger, so even with the recut threads there is plenty of metal for a good joint after re-threading. An easy enough lathe job for any competent gunsmith. I have been using it to compete in open class all summer with a 13 shot extension, which allows 15 total with the ghost load. ZERO malfunctions since the day I bought it. I am impressed so far. I am working with arredondo in an attempt to get a speed loader bracket that is not drilled for the cross pin so I can adapt it to this platform. It does not appear to be a drop in fit for any of the Benelli models. If I can proto a speedloader funnel that works for this shotgun I will probably make several. As far as I am concerned, this shotgun is the best-kept secret on the market in the bang-for-buck category. I bought it as an inexpensive backup, and it has become my primary shotgun on any match I can shoot without needing speedloader tubes.

Awesome info, I appreciate you keeping us updated. I intend on buying the black 24" model for 3-Gun when they're available. So I'm guessing you're saying the new metric thread pattern on the M3000's is not a match for any other extension tube thread pattern offered by Nordic, correct?