Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Running 2-7x in 3-Gun?

mulrick

So I have been running a 1-4 Burris mtac30 on my dedicated 3-gun rig. Ill be honest, I haven't been impressed, I know it is a cheap 1-4 so I wasn't expecting much, but it really isn't a true 1x so I have been rolling to my Dueck Defense sights for everything in the 1-15+ yard range. I have really been getting faster using this and it got me thinking that I might be well served with a 2-7x scope, I shoot 3-gun in places where we can regularly have stages with 300+ yard shots and the extra mag is nice to have. I have thought about the new Leupold 1-8x but at almost $3k its a little hard to swallow considering that's about what my rifle costs, and I'm no professional.

I have been looking at the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 with the balistic fire dot. I like that it is 30mm, illuminated, and light weight (12.7oz) plus it seems to get favorable reviews. Also at just below the $500 mark, it seems like one of the best deals

So anyone else out there running 2-7? Id love to hear what you have to say.

You will find that almost all except for a few of the Open shooters are running 1x-4,6 or 8x. I believe that you might find a few Open guys running higher magnification scopes with mini-red-dots mounted in some type of offset configuration like the Warne RAMP, etc. I recently had a conversation about this with a shooting buddy and we discussed the possibility of him putting a 2 or 2.5x-10 or 12x on a 3G rig and adding 45 degree sights, but for now at least, I am going to stick with my 1-6.5x.

I get that. I might stick with the 1-4. I have a brand new 3-gun upper that is in pieces right now that I need to put together. I might try the 2-7x and see if I like it... if not, it can go on my longer range SPR type rifle.

I just got into multi-gun & not doing real well, and wondering the same thing.

I was thinking of trying 2x7 as my only sight - just wondering

if you're going to have the DD sights anyway, might be good

to go with a 3x9? You could use the DD's out to 50 yards

and use the 3x9 after that??? Just a thought - I haven't

tried it myself. :cheers:

I went from a 3-9, to a 2-7 to a 1-4, my scores going up each time.

You probably don't have the ocular adjusted correctly on your MTAC if you don't think it is 1x. That can cause some slight change and even accentuate the edge effects.

If you put in some time practicing shooting at 300 to 600 yards, you will get better. If you get more magnification, you will not. I usually stay on 1X for at least 80% of my rifle shots only going up in mag when I get past 100 yards. A 1-4 (or -6) is preferable, at least today, for 3Gun.

If I have said this once, I have said it a dozen times...if I had listened and not tried to reinvent the wheel when I started shooting 3Gun, I would have spent less money, practiced more and improved my skill set quicker.

Honestly, It's probably more "doable" now than a few years ago... there just doesn't seem to be nearly as much up close "hoser" rifle stuff as there used to be... if targets are close, they're occluded or small. I still wouldn't recommend it though. I run a 2-8 Nikon on my open gun, but I take most shots with the offset-mounted Eotech. If I ever go back to "the herd" (Tac Optics), I'll break down and buy a good 1-6 or something similar.

One thing I've noticed is that if you don't need true 1 power, it sure makes good scopes cheaper!

DanO

Honestly, It's probably more "doable" now than a few years ago... there just doesn't seem to be nearly as much up close "hoser" rifle stuff as there used to be... if targets are close, they're occluded or small. I still wouldn't recommend it though. I run a 2-8 Nikon on my open gun, but I take most shots with the offset-mounted Eotech. If I ever go back to "the herd" (Tac Optics), I'll break down and buy a good 1-6 or something similar.

One thing I've noticed is that if you don't need true 1 power, it sure makes good scopes cheaper!

DanO

This is why I am curious... let me reiterate, I have a dedicated 3-gun rig with a 1-4. But I have a new build going right now and my thought was to try some more mag. I really use my 45 degree DD sights for most shots that are in the 1 to 15 yard range... after that 2x isn't bad... worst case I can always put the 2x on my blackout build if I don't like it for my second 3-gun rig

Edited by mulrick

• 2 weeks later...

I run the Vortex Viper 2-7x35 with BDC reticile. They no longer make this exact model in the Viper line, but do offer it in the Diamondback line:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-2-7x35-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle/reticle

Overall I REALLY like what the 2-7x brings to the table over your standard 1-4x. A 1-6x is a great choice between the two, but not always easy on the budget. At our local 3gun matches we don't have a ton of wide open hose fest targets. A fair amount of hard cover and no-shoots along with reduced size targets thrown in makes me appreciate the 2x. Granted I do have to hunt a bit more than with a 1x, but I feel my accuracy is greater.

it is definitely not the "convential wisdom" among Tac ops shooters as almost all run a 1-?x. Good luck.

I run a Nikon Pro Staff 3-7x32 and a JP short range rifle sight mounted at 45deg. I'll use the 2x at 15-20 yards if there is tight hard cover or NS tgts, else I run the irons out to about 20 yards or so.

The 7x comes in handy shooting mini-poppers hidden in grass at 100 yards.

I run a 2-7 Leopold non-iluminated and DD at 45 degrees on my rilfe. My back up gun is set up the same but with a 3X9. I kind of like the 2-7 but I don't shoot many matchs and never get to practice. If I was more high speed low drag I would probably go with a 1-4 something.