Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage design software

Wildcanine

I love using Sketchup. Tons on templates, and props in the warehouse and a lot of stages other people have already run. If you are new to design software it could take a little to learn, but if you have experience with that type of software it is super easy to use. I tried Inventor and SolidWorks first and found the simplistic design of Sketchup faster and easier to use.

I still just use PowerPoint with my own version of the USPSA images.

Sketchup is interesting but it's not all that intuitive. Plus, a stage diagram is really just a rough plan. We have one person who uses CAD to diagram and stills finds that it never quite looks the same when you actually set it up. You always end up tweaking things.

I use Sketchup, but mainly so I can verify distances to steel while I am laying out a field course. It is really frustrating when you start setting up a course and you find you don't have enough distance to put poppers where you thought you could and then have to redesign the course on the fly.

If anybody doesn't know already, if you click the little icon that looks like a folded map with a arrow pointing down you can import a picture from google earth of your range that is actually to scale then when you layout the stage you can make sure that what you want to do will fit in the bay you want.

Mike

When I started using Sketchup, I made bay templates tailored to the bays at our range. This was useful for seeing if a field course would fit into some of our smaller bays, and for steel placement as mentioned above. When the range owner started baffling the bays and put posts in to hold up the baffles, it became very useful to add the posts to the bay templates so we could judge shoot-throughs, target/wall placement, etc with the posts.

It does usually end up being off a little. Berms erode over the course of the year, so I made the realization that I can't push targets all the way out to the edges that were measured years ago. And not all of our walls are exactly 8' long. But for the most part, you can get it really close.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go here:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

And search USPSA Props. There are several to choose from. I don't remember which one I started with, but they probably contain most of the same stuff. I've customized a lot of props and targets since I downloaded a props bay and saved them to my default template.

Thanks, I'll add them to my existing props.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know of any software for stage design other than the one on USPSA website my computer isn't compatable

Thanks jeff

I'm in the process of building several stages and would like to try the USPSA software. So far unable to locate it on the website.

Can anyone direct me to the right location.

Thanks.

Bill

Hi Bill, it used to be on the NROI page, bottom center a link called "Course Design Tools" . I think there were a couple .zip files there at one time, but I just went to that link and now it just contains a .PDF with stage design guidelines.

Hope this helps,

Ken

I'm in the process of building several stages and would like to try the USPSA software. So far unable to locate it on the website.

All it is are some old PPT objects and they don't work well - won't even open in some versions of PowerPoint. I have my own version that you are welcome to if you want them.

On the USPSA website I found the pdf file but not the software.

Well, unless something has changed, there is no software. What they provide are some PPT objects that you can use in your PowerPoint diagrams.

What I ended up doing is creating two sets of PPT objects, one for a Stage Description and one set that is intended for use in a plan diagram (overhead) that is roughly scaled and are used with a set of scale templates of our shooting bays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Microsoft Visio is great tool.

There are a number of "great tools", IF you already know how to use them. For someone starting from scratch, with no experience with a particular tool, it may be a completely different story.

I find PowerPoint to be fairly easy to use and even created some templates with the ranges and props to scale for creating plan views. But give that to someone who hasn't used PowerPoint and who hasn't a clue what a plan view is, and they will be lost.

If you have not used anything yet, I strongly recommend sketchup.

The ability to do fly throughs, check 180s, vision barriers etc. is very handy. You can also create properly sized bays and create the entire stage layout in one image if you want. It really is the only that lets you do this while being able to import all kinds of pre-built models and create stage drawings that are accurate, to scale and ready for production without "adjustments".

The tutorials are very good and there are several stage "base" templates that already have targets and props included.

• 1 month later...