Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use plated 147gr bullets

KentG

I'm a bit nervous I'm going to run out of reloads before I can get more 147's from DeltaPrecision. Montana Gold runs almost perfect but also way back ordered. The bayou bullets not so much. Thinking of trying to source some plated RN 147 9mm. Berry's? Anyone use plated with success?

I use Xtreme 147 plated. Have shot 20k + of them with no problems. Everyone I know shoots them here in Northern California. If you buy in bulk (25K) you can get them for about the same price as Bayou or BBI. I load 3.2 N320 @ 1.145" w/ CCI makes minor no problem. Also just started loading a few thousand with Solo 1000, which is a nice alternative and easier to find than N320. All in all, cant say enough good things about Xtreme bullets. A great company to deal with as well.

Well Berry's isnt taking back orders, I have a notificaion email set for Rainier and Xtreme wont let me do anything but a wish list. Need to check Midway and see what they have shaking. Crazy.

I am now loading 40 caliber, 155 grain Berrys, for my open gun. I started doing this about a month ago, for practice loads, saving my Montana Gold's for matches.

How do they preform for me, I bet you are thinking? Well, I get the same point of impact . . . whew! That was my biggest concern, as I waited for the Berrys to arrive. Now regret that I purchased only 3,000.

As for grouping, the Berrys spread out an inch to an inch and a half, compared to MG's.

My conclusion; they are great for practice, and I would not hesitate to shoot them in a match, should I run out of my favorite.

Plated are what I use pretty near all of the time - no more lead for me - in my 9mm, .40S&W, 45 ACP and 38 Special.

I'm running 147's for my 9mm (Frontiers) and they are great. I have Berry's 124 HP's and am not having any issues with them.

I shoot mostly berrys plated. A guy local to me organizes an annual group buy and we get distribution prices when we get enough orders together. Usually buy enough to last me a year of shooting. Doesn't mean we get them any faster than anyone else though.

More on topic, I actually ran some 147s out of my 5.25 9mm. Pretty accurate on top of red dot ( 4.0) and a tack driver with unique ( 6.0gr ). OAL out to 1.150 and crimped at .377 had zero issues. Also made up a small batch on titegroup just to see how the recoil would feel but I can't remember off the top of my head how much powder I used.

I was lucky enough to get some 147gr Frontier CMJ's when Cabela's had them on their site. Just shot them for the first time in our State IPDA championships, performed flawlessly. I use 3.3gr of Titegroup set @ 1.15 OAL for right around 900 FPS. This is out of a 5.25 XD-M.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...