Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best Fiber Optic front sight?

Maxximuss

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed Dawson adjustable rear with the .125 wide deep notch and FO front .100 wide by .285 tall. Shot a match today and it took 3 stages to get it right but I really like the combination. Well worth the money.

Edited by AICS308

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Dawson's have a flat edge that runs the border of the rear sight which probably means harder to damage

The front fiber sits lower so it might be more durable but less bright

Dawson also has a confusing number of choices for size

The differences are probably negligible between various sights. I like Dawson sights but I recently tried Ameriglo fiber optics since it is $20 for a front sight and $20 for a rear. Even these cheap ones actually work pretty well but the sizing is weird. 

I'd be tempted to try this combo next time in the future

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ameriglo-glock-pistol-rear-sight-black-night-sights.html?_iv_code=AR-AP-REARBLKNS-GL-405L

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ameriglo-fiber-rod-style-night-sights-front-sights-only-for-glocks.html?_iv_code=AR-AP-FBRODFRNT-GF-165-130R

46 minutes ago, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

Dawson's have a flat edge that runs the border of the rear sight which probably means harder to damage

The front fiber sits lower so it might be more durable but less bright

Dawson also has a confusing number of choices for size

The differences are probably negligible between various sights. I like Dawson sights but I recently tried Ameriglo fiber optics since it is $20 for a front sight and $20 for a rear. Even these cheap ones actually work pretty well but the sizing is weird. 

I'd be tempted to try this combo next time in the future

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ameriglo-glock-pistol-rear-sight-black-night-sights.html?_iv_code=AR-AP-REARBLKNS-GL-405L

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ameriglo-fiber-rod-style-night-sights-front-sights-only-for-glocks.html?_iv_code=AR-AP-FBRODFRNT-GF-165-130R

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Problem with sights is like holsters, easy to get a collection of those with little to no use after testing.

Vogel has a signature sight now. Very similar to the TTIs I think, but should have a little more light around the front. I'd like to try them.

The Taran .125 rear notch .115 front seems like it'd be awful tight on short slide.

I use a Warren Tactical set on my 17, like them a lot, front is plenty bright and not too wide, really like the U notch rear, have gone to it on just about everything, wish the rear was serrated (they serrate the 1911 model :huh:), and/or had a better finish. POI with most loads is a couple inches high at 25yds.

On my M&P I'm going to try an AmeriGlo serrated U notch rear and probably get a skinny Dawson FO for the front.

Like many have said, sights are probably too personal to declare a best.

30 minutes ago, ThomasPI said:

Any particular reason? What others have you tried?

I tried the stock Glock sights, 3 dot sights, Warren Sevigny, and Trijicon HD's.  I actually shot well with just the stock sights but wanted a red fiber front for faster acquisition.  I then tried the Warren sights.  They were good but I like the Dawson rears better with the serrated back.  I have the HD's on one of my carry guns, the G26, that I shoot in GSSF and IDPA.  That sight actually does well for me too, plus it's a good carry sight.  Dawson has great service too and a nice website.  They replaced a front sight for me free off charge (needed a different height).

If you're talking Glock, then Taran is definitely the way I'd go... except he still doesn't make a rear adjustable sight, and when I asked him about it (years ago) he acknowledged that the height of his sight would be wrong to pair with an adjustable rear.

If you're talking about a standard dovetailed sight, I see that Infinity now makes a front sight that uses the same concept as Taran's sight.  Be prepared for Infinity prices, of course.

4 hours ago, Pilot172 said:

I tried the stock Glock sights, 3 dot sights, Warren Sevigny, and Trijicon HD's.  I actually shot well with just the stock sights but wanted a red fiber front for faster acquisition.  I then tried the Warren sights.  They were good but I like the Dawson rears better with the serrated back.  I have the HD's on one of my carry guns, the G26, that I shoot in GSSF and IDPA.  That sight actually does well for me too, plus it's a good carry sight.  Dawson has great service too and a nice website.  They replaced a front sight for me free off charge (needed a different height).

I also did not like the Warren front sight.  It did not cover the hole completely, plus would always come loose, even with locktite.  The Dawson has a recess that fits into the hole and a flat top that covers it completely.

I tried the TTI sights and prefer the Dawson's. I like a bit more sunlight between my sights then what the TTI's showed. Also I have the Dawson's on all my other pistols so I also like to keep them consistent. 

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, ThomasPI said:

Shot with Dawson Precision Sights today, FO Green rear and Red front adjustable. GOT to get a set, now to try to find a discount source since Dawson direct will be surely higher. Any suggestions ?

Just buy from Dawson.  They have free shipping.  I just bought some comp sights from them today along with some other goodies.  I think the sights were $2 cheaper on Amazon.