Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone 5 Ugh...

Sarge

OK I consider you all my "google" for obvious reasons.

What is the best case for these things? We got otter boxes but they sure made the phone awful big. I need something smaller that will fit in one of those APW phone cases. I crawl around too much at work to go unprotected and the otter box is too big and too "sticky" to fit in a pocket.

I see magpul has made one that is hard plastic with a shock absorbing inner coating, but of course they are on backorder just like every other thing they make.

I also looked at the forums on it last night and I'm thoroughly confused. I managed to get it to where I could post but I don't see any other features like searching and viewing new content, PM's etc. Is that stuff available with the right app? Where do I find said app? Or am I expecting too much out of the forums on a phone?

Thanks guys I am in seriously unfamiliar waters with this gadget.

Otter boxes suck. Get the Magpul, or I have one made by Incipio. It rocks for simplicity & minor protection.

For searching, PMs, and new content use the White "4-square" symbol in the upper right-hand side of the screen.

Edited by Chris Keen

I had an Otterbox Commuter on my 3GS & liked it, but am returning the one I got for my 5 as the fit & finish suck. I was going to replace the Incipio Dual Pro Shine, which I like, but which I dropped, causing the back to peel. I'll probably wait for the Magpul Bump at this point but would recommend the Incipio Dual Pro.

Yay, you got the 5!

I have the Otterbox "Defender" for mine...ya, I'll be the first who likes the brand. I had an Otterbox for my last smartphone & decided to get another one.

Yes, it's a little bulky. I need mine with the holster (for work), so it does add some bulk, but I'm not the type that needs super thin cases.

Matt has the Magpul one & I do think its nice as well.

Yay, you got the 5!

I have the Otterbox "Defender" for mine...ya, I'll be the first who likes the brand. I had an Otterbox for my last smartphone & decided to get another one.

Yes, it's a little bulky. I need mine with the holster (for work), so it does add some bulk, but I'm not the type that needs super thin cases.

Matt has the Magpul one & I do think its nice as well.

I'm the second to like the Otter Box. We're both running them on iPhone 4's, and I suspect we'll be running them on the iPhone 5 replacement as well.

I love the idea of the LifeProof case -- but it costs 4 times what an Otterbox cost on Amazon. (That might not be a valid comparison though -- the iPhone 4 Otter Boxes were ~ $18; the ones for iPhone 5 might be more expensive...)

If the prices are close, I might spring for the Life Proof....

The Otterbox Commuter for the 5 is around $22.

ETA: Reason I'm returning mine to Amazon is because it won't allow me to operate the lock button and the port covers don't stay closed. Don't know whether it's a design flaw or I just got a poorly molded one, but the hard plastic also has edges that aren't present on the 3GS version I had. It just doesn't seem as well-executed to me.

Edited by diehli

ETA: Reason I'm returning mine to Amazon is because it won't allow me to operate the lock button and the port covers don't stay closed. Don't know whether it's a design flaw or I just got a poorly molded one, but the hard plastic also has edges that aren't present on the 3GS version I had. It just doesn't seem as well-executed to me.

You must have a bad case? I got the defender and it works as advertised and the finish is great.

You must have a bad case? I got the defender and it works as advertised and the finish is great.

Not that it matters now, but I had the Otterbox for months. Dropped my phone twice on concrete and it survived. Worth every penny.

If you're not needing a water proof or rugged application case I really like my Mophie. I've had them for my last 2 iPhones and waited to get the iPhone 5 until Mophie came out with the case for them. They have a 1700milliamp battery built into the back. I'm a heavy user and the factory battery usually won't take me past 4pm at which point you flip a little switch and have a full charge ready to go. The case will protect your phone, does not have a screen saver (which I detest anyway) and only makes your phone slightly thicker. The slight thicker makes it easier to hold on to for me.

Anyway, something you might want to check out. Are they for everyone? Nope, but I like them.

I also looked at the forums on it last night and I'm thoroughly confused. I managed to get it to where I could post but I don't see any other features like searching and viewing new content, PM's etc. Is that stuff available with the right app? Where do I find said app? Or am I expecting too much out of the forums on a phone?

I am not sure where, probably at the bottom of the page, but you can choose to view the forum from your phone as a regular web page, and not a mobile page.

Mobile view seems to work best. You will sacrifice things like being able to see who started a thread, and how many replies there have been to a thread, but you wont have to scroll back and forth in order to read that info, simply scroll up and down.

Kevin, pressing the white 4-Square thingy in the upper right hand corner is where you find search, PMs, and New Content functions. :)

Thanks Chris. Once you showed me that it made things a little easier. I'm slowly getting the hang of it and I'm confident within a few short weeks I'll be saying, "why in the heck did I wait so long to get this thing?"

I see magpul has made one that is hard plastic with a shock absorbing inner coating, but of course they are on backorder just like every other thing they make.

Your search foo must be weak! :rolleyes:

Everyone from Amazon, to eBay, to Sears! has the iPhone 5 cases in stock.

Kevin, pressing the white 4-Square thingy in the upper right hand corner is where you find search, PMs, and New Content functions. :)

Thanks Chris. Once you showed me that it made things a little easier. I'm slowly getting the hang of it and I'm confident within a few short weeks I'll be saying, "why in the heck did I wait so long to get this thing?"

I Don't know, but the Samsung Galaxy 4S release date (Mar.14th, 2013) is right around the corner! ;)

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Beats-Apple-iPhone-4S-as-4326751.php

Your search foo must be weak! :rolleyes:

Everyone from Amazon, to eBay, to Sears! has the iPhone 5 cases in stock.

The Bump model?