Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA question

jlamphere

I have not shot USPSA, so this is a nooby question for sure. I have been following several of the reloading discussions and am just wondering what advantage is there to loading 9 major over 38 super? 9 major seems to really be pushing the limits of that cartridge and so why shoot 9mm when 38 super can make PF with much less hazard? Just wondering, not looking for a battle for one over the other.

I can certianly understand the cost factor. That is a big reason I shoot 9mm in IDPA, even though I really like shooting a 1911 in .45. I did not know if there was something else in the performance of the 38 super vs. 9mm that would factor into the decision. Thanks for the info.

I did not know if there was something else in the performance of the 38 super vs. 9mm that would factor into the decision.

Actually, there is ...

Only advantage of the 9mm major is the ease of finding 9mm brass, inexpensively, without having

to pick it up after shooting it.

The .38 super does have other potential performance advantages - more flexible with powders, longer OAl

which feeds "better" in the .38 super mags, probably lower pressure at same PF, etc. But, these are all

pretty much hypothetical unless you need the last 1% of advantage that's holding you back from being

a Grand Master.

In reality, the 9mm major is just fine ... and cheaper/easier. :cheers:

If you buy once-fired 9mm brass and leave it lay after a single loading to major, the cost vs. 38 super ends up being a wash. I have heard of many people getting 10-15+ loads out of Starline 38SC brass. I took a batch of a few hundred WIN and FC 9mm cases and loaded them to a 175PF with 115gr bullets 6 times before I started noticing loose primer pockets. I have seen maybe 5 split cases since I started loading 9-Major, and it never caused a problem in my gun. I usually catch them when they make it into the sizing die....it takes NO effort.

I can still get 9mm brass fairly cheap ($20/K), so its 9-Major for me. Would I like to have a 38SC barrel fit to the gun some day? Of Course! I really want to see what this N105 is all about.

I switched from .38 to 9, just so I could quit worrying about finding my brass. Happy to report that I don't even give brass a thought anymore.

I had some .38 supers that I had reloaded well over 15 times at Major PF. So cost can be negated if you are willing to pick up your brass. Also if you work big matches that are loss brass. Range staff usually gets everything on their stage. Big bonus.

If I had my druthers, I'd go back to .38. For me the recoil impulse was better. But that's me, might not be you. As it is, I'm pushing Master in Open shooting a 9 and not picking up squat. +++++

I'll make GM and never look back with my 9.