Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open gun holster ?

cecil

I want to order a holster for my upcoming new toy.. a STI STEEL MASTER... anyone have any ideas/opinions on the DAA -- CR Speed or Ghost holsters.. for obvious reasons i want a holster that will retain my pistol safely and allow quick draws and easy re-holstering..

because of all the shooters that have been using the above holsters i thought i would poll yall's vast knowledge on which holster to buy..

please elaborate on your preferences and why !!

thanks

I have had all 3 and the DDA Race Master was a pain. If you don't hit the trigger guard slot dead square when reholstering you have to reset the lock mechanism. I have the Manny Bragg Holster that I am currently using and like it the best. Next would be the Ghost with the CR Speed third and DDA RM last.

I just received my Safariland ELS System rig with the 014 Holster, 773 Mag Pouches and ELS Belt. I am just getting it setup and really like the quality and adjustment features of the ELS System. I cannot give an opinion as I have not even had it long enough to use it in practice.

Use the race master here. I have no issue holster in the gun at all. It took me a little bit to get use to holstering it due to being new to the race holsters but the lock is solid. If you plan on using it for one type gun use the racer and save some bucks. I went racaster as my primary is an sti with a backup glock. So one holster does both with a couple min and 40 dollar block swap

Original Ghost! I find the DAA holster to be a pain. Like said above, if you dont hit it just right it's awkward, and it's a little too tight for me. Plus I just can't get used to that weird locking mechanism.

The Ghost is like an old shoe, it just fits comfortably. :)

The CR speed is the worst of the 3. It's very unsafe in my opinion. I used to have one, and could draw the gun with a good yank, even when locked.

Edited by Chris Keen

Original Ghost! I find the DAA holster to be a pain. I just can't get used to that weird locking mechanism. You mean the flick of a finger to unlock and lock it?

The Ghost is like an old shoe, it just fits comfortably. :)Kind of like Converse All Stars. The basketball shoes I wore in the 70's! There have been hundreds of improvements in shoes over the years.

I still have not experienced the difficulty in holstering a gun in the Race Master. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

I have 3 RaceMasters and love them. All my STI pistols fit in it perfectly, no modding at all. The Glock insert was a little tight and had to file it slightly. No problems reholstering either. The RM is smooth and I love the lock lever. I have owned almost all the holsters on the market and this is the best for me.

Currently using the Racemaster. I like the security of the holster yet the draw is quick. If you need to start a stage with the lock on its very quick to disengage the lock with your middle finger while drawing. With the lock on that gun aint coming out. Bought mine before the Racer came out otherwise I'd have probably bought that.

Started with a CR Speed, the RM is a way better holster. Even with the lock on the CR speed did not feel secure. and no dicking around with adjusting a muzzle cup if you have Limited/Open STI's.

I have been using the CR Speed for many years.

The CR is the only holster with 3 bearing points, and properly adjusted, is in my opinion the most secure and has the most consistent draw.

If you feel your CR is not holding the pistol/revolver securely, I can just about guarantee that it is NOT setup properly. A quick email to Rescomp will help you fix the "problem" in short order.

I saw a pistol get stuck in one of the other mentioned holsters due to a small amount of dirt getting stuck in the block/wedge. Luckily it wasn't loaded. Holster body had to be broken apart with tools to remove the gun.

Cr speed has nowhere near the most secure lock and can be drawn through the lock. The race master when locked is not coming out without breaking the trigger guard off. The cr might have been the way to go back in the day but there have been plenty if better holsters since then come out

I have been using the CR Speed for many years.

The CR is the only holster with 3 bearing points, and properly adjusted, is in my opinion the most secure and has the most consistent draw.

If you feel your CR is not holding the pistol/revolver securely, I can just about guarantee that it is NOT setup properly. A quick email to Rescomp will help you fix the "problem" in short order.

I saw a pistol get stuck in one of the other mentioned holsters due to a small amount of dirt getting stuck in the block/wedge. Luckily it wasn't loaded. Holster body had to be broken apart with tools to remove the gun.

Ahhhhhh, not even close.