Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any must have's for Mini14

TLD

And don't say "Change it to an AR." :D

I recently moved to CA and will be shooting my Mini. I have a Nikon 1-4 scope, raised cheek piece and muzzle brake. Extended mag release a good idea? Any other performance mods that are inexpensive and worthwhile?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that's a FINE looking Mini! Does your stock have more drop at the heal than the original?

Had a trigger job done on mine also, and loved it. I just sold 4, 30 round SS mags, they worked great. Had a muzzle brake on it, and it was a significant improvement. Also had 21 coats of hand rubbed tung oil on the stock (took me nearly a month to get it right!). Didn't make it shoot any better but wow it looked great.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Now that's a FINE looking Mini! Does your stock have more drop at the heal than the original?

Had a trigger job done on mine also, and loved it. I just sold 4, 30 round SS mags, they worked great. Had a muzzle brake on it, and it was a significant improvement. Also had 21 coats of hand rubbed tung oil on the stock (took me nearly a month to get it right!). Didn't make it shoot any better but wow it looked great.

Tar

That is the factory stock. I added a Karsten cheek rest. Makes a world of difference. It shoots really well with the brake. Now I need to zero it and see how it groups. Really, 2moa or better will be fine. My DPMS shot 2 MOA and the only disadvantage I had was first shot hits well past 300 yards, and since I don't shoot matches like that much, not that big of a deal. Edited by TLD

I bought the ranch rifle model, you know to use on a ranch, went after market stock trigger job glass bed, match ammo, reloads, scope with low mount rings, and still couldnt get it to hold on an 8 inch target at 100 yards. Its got the same effective range as my $25 12 gauge yard sale single shot.

I bought the ranch rifle model, you know to use on a ranch, went after market stock trigger job glass bed, match ammo, reloads, scope with low mount rings, and still couldnt get it to hold on an 8 inch target at 100 yards. Its got the same effective range as my $25 12 gauge yard sale single shot.

I know it will do at least 8" at 100 yards with irons.

I know it will do at least 8" at 100 yards with irons.

Dang - my Benelli M2 shoots slugs better than that. Why not just get an AR and be done with it?

• 7 months later...

I have a Mini as well, but it's an older one from the mid 80's with a super thin barrel. From what I've heard, they are hit and miss, and mine must be a hit, because it shoots almost as well as my AR. I did one of the DIY accustruts up front, but I don't know that it is really worth it. I haven't dumped a ton of lead down the barrel, so I don't know whether it helps with heat dissipation and accuracy as claimed or not. I do know that it added a ton of weight up front though, and I'm not sure that I like it.

I had a ranch in the late 80's and it was by far the most inaccurate centerfire rifle I've ever owned. It is now long gone, replaced years ago by an AR.

Mine was a manufactured before they came out with the Ranch model. Still have it in the back of the safe. Couldn't bring myself to unload it on some unsuspecting individual. Less than 30 rds through it in 30 years. Even fewer rounds found on the target.

Why do you think the A-Team never hit anything with their Mini-14's?

:-)

Mick

I had a ranch in the late 80's and it was by far the most inaccurate centerfire rifle I've ever owned. It is now long gone, replaced years ago by an AR.

I believe the problem with the original guns were poor quality barrels. The newer models, (didn't they come out with a "Varmint" model or something?) are supposed to be pretty good. Not a Mini guy by any means but if you have one and the barrel is junk, replace it and have a decent rifle. Far cheaper than selling at a loss, and buying something new, that a CA resident is going to have a hard time getting.