Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec springs

RCC1

I bought several sets of replacement springs when I bought my first AFTEC extractor. Gave one set to a friend that managed to lose one while cleaning his gun. The others are still in the parts box.

I figure I'll shoot it until it gives me a problem and then change them out.

Possibly not the best answer but that's how I handle it.

Bill

• 8 months later...

I have not changed mine in a year and a half. I keep spares just in case. Most likely I'll lose one before I wear them out.

How many rounds have you fired in a year and a half? The reason i asked is because i don't know if my aftec extractor or just the springs is the problem of my open gun after shooting 3-5k im having extraction issues.

I have not changed mine in a year and a half. I keep spares just in case. Most likely I'll lose one before I wear them out.

How many rounds have you fired in a year and a half? The reason i asked is because i don't know if my aftec extractor or just the springs is the problem of my open gun after shooting 3-5k im having extraction issues.

Since that post of mine I have shot another season with it. I probably have 15k - 20k on the springs total. This is on a 9MAJOR Open gun. Sounds like something is amiss with your gun.

Takes about 5 minutes to replace the springs and see if your extraction issues are resolved.

Pat

Extractor may have gotten chipped bent or broken.

Channel could be gunked up.

Could be the brass. Is it a 38 or 9? If it's 38 could be not set up to run SC?

Thank's for the info! I will try to check my extractor for any damage. I will shoot it at the match tomorrow, hopefully the gun won't puke on me. Im running a 9major.

Pat makes a good point. You will always find help on the forums but it goes much faster if you give as much info as possible. Since it's a 9 you will probably get words of wisdom like, "9MAJOR won't extract reliably so you need to switch to 38Super" :). I have so far not had any major issues with my Cheely 9 running like a top. I did have some feeding and extraction issues once but found my gun was so dirty it would barely cycle by hand. I was used to shooting Glocks and tried to run it all season without cleaning. lol. That extractor tunnel gets really dirty if you don't keep an eye on it.

Keep us updated!

I run Aftec and have learned the hard way that replacing the springs and cup is better than the alternative.

First time I probably went 3 seasons and then spent a couple matches with a hiccup or two. Discovered that one leg of the cup broke off. (Cup is the little thingy that holds the springs down by the way)

Second was probably 2 years later after replacing the springs and cup. Couple matches with a couple hiccups and, get this, one of those little springs broke in half! Go figure.

Thank goodness I was only shooting local matches when these incidents happened. Stuff like this comes out of the blue and would have jacked a major match up big time.

I now try to replace every spring in the gun every winter, I include the Aftec springs and cup. YMMV, oil changes can't hurt though!!!

I was having probs with my gun kinda like you explained, would run great one day terrible the next. I replaced every spring in the gun tried every different load imanigable and still couldn't get it straightened out, by the way my problems were ejection issues with a aftec. I called Derek at millenium customs and he had my gun running over the phone in 10 minutes great guy really knows his stuff, I would recommend reaching out to him.

I had a spring fail after about 20k rounds and then the spring cap failed at about 25k (both "wings" broke off). The gun ran fine with a bad spring but it had FTE's w/ the broken cap. I carry spares now and inspect the parts carefully when cleaning. .

My experience is simliar to the above post.

I'm probably only at the 6k-8k round mark with my LTD gun, but I have never changed the SPRING.

I say SPRING, becasue when the gun was new (this year) I had problems with the round not wanting to slide under the extractor. Just for investigation purposes, I removed the rear Aftec spring, and the gun has run 110% ever since.

I can wiggle/deflect the extractor with the tip of my finger, but the gun extracts/ejects perfectly.

6 years and counting. 40 cal standard infinity pistol. Clean every 500-700 rounds including extractor channel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I clean about the same if not after every match. I don't even think about those little Aftec springs. Lol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

This sounds bag but I've never changed springs on any of the aftec's I've had, in both 9mm and 40sw. They just seem to keep going and since they're such a pain to install, why change them. I'm sure eventually I should change them, but I try not to fix what isn't broke. 

I'm not sure if it's just my experience or not, but I had them give up on me rapidly at a match last week when the gun (Open 9 Major) had been 100% through several matches prior.  First stage was a 7 round classifier and the gun ran perfectly.  Next stage I had a failure to extract.  Chalked it up to ammo and went on to the next stage where I had a failure to extract on every one of the last 12 rounds of the stage.  I took it over to the safe area and thought the extractor was cracked or something because there was so little tension.  Turned out both springs were done.  The gun didn't have very many rounds through it which makes me suspect they were bad out of the package.  Popped in a pair of new springs when I got home and it ran through 100 rounds flawlessly.

Edited by tyler2you