Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KettleBell for Cardio? Suggestions?

Mark K

I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 three days a week. I am thinking of adding some cardio, but cannot run for various reasons. I was doing rowing machine which I really like, but since I am already doing heavy squats with SL5x5, I don't want to duplicate that movement.

Have heard some good things about using a Kettlebell for cardio, but don't know a thing about it. Is there something that will work, again without heavy knee dips or thigh involvement?

If you make suggestions and there is a Link to a demo, I would appreciate it.

Mark K.

I don't know how much carry-over there is from strongman to your activities, but GPP work - pushing wheel barrows, longer sets w. light weights, etc - builds a different capacity than running.

But, we usually only did the light stuff as speed work - it was a great way to bump up your heart rate, so that just a walk would keep a high heart rate.

If you can't run, joint issues or whatever, swimming is great for cardio. Most YMCA's and many fitness centers have heated pools that are nice in the winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq9AGcSPmzI&playnext=1&list=PL829DA166260B0F53

This video doesn't involve swimming or kettlebells but if you can find a Hula Hoop, it looks like a good workout. She's in great shape.

Edited by toothguy

Running - Have some muscle cramping issues from Gulf War Syndrome, but mostly bad knees - impact of running is out. Used to Cycle extensively, but time constraints make it not a good option, though I have my bike on a stationary trainer, and use it occasionally. Mostly, I like higher intensity of 20min or so workouts. Also, with heavy squats schedule in weight lifting routine, I would rather let legs get some break. Let's just leave it at that.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

mark you would be amazed at what you could do with a tractor tire if you have the space. by flipping it , dragging it and attaching a rope to it and pulling it gives you a great cardio workout and a very strong core. by comming up with a routine and adding some plyometric exercises you will get results you could see and apply to your shooting sport. i've been doing it for awhile and its greatly improved my flexability and speed. create your own routine and do it 3 times a week...

• 4 weeks later...

I incorporate KB's into my daily Dryfire routines.....How you would do that while isolating the legs I have no idea..... I have found Crossfit in general to be a perfect workout for what I do....... short & intense.... explosive power..... I have a video of me doing burpees then going right into dryfire.... Hope ya find a suitable solution

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I know this is an old topic. I hope you are still working with kettlebells, I have been for about 5 years now and I love em. Lately I have been working a lot with Geoff Neuperts stuff but there are many different instructors out there who have good programs to follow. If you haven't already check out Enter the Kettlebell by Pavel that to me is the ultimate starting point. And try to get the heaviest kettlebell you can lift. Right now I am using double 32 kgs but I had to start at 16kg when I first got into it. It has done wonders for my grip strength and overall endurance and strength/power. Good luck keep shooting and swing away comrade!!

• 1 month later...

Try hitting the punching bag (heavy bag), it is one of the best forms of cardio you will find and you can virtually eliminate the use of your legs depending on how stationary you want to be. I would get the heaviest bag possible though for that reason, the lighter it is the more it will swing, and the more you'll have to chase it around. You can also find bags that have a D ring on the bottom so that they can be anchored to the floor as well. That would be the best choice in my opinion.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are looking for a great cardio workout, Kettlebells are the way to go.

Try this tabatta style KB workout.

20s KB One arm Swing

10s Rest

20s KB Other arm Swing

10s Rest

20s KB One arm Snatch

10s rest

20s KB Other arm Snatch

10s rest

20s KB One Arm Clean & Sqaut

10s Rest

20s KB Other arm Clean & Squat

10s Rest
REPEAT X 6

Start with one round, and once your cardio improves add in additional rounds as you can .

• 2 months later...

Swimming hands down is the best for you. It will increase your lung capacity like no other and improve your resting heart rate. Learn any stroke from a Master's swimming course - it really doesn't matter which one, and then hit the pool in the mornings to loosen you up for the rest of the day and for your lifting workouts. There is no real pushing against load with your legs, so it's a great recovery tool too.

Running - Have some muscle cramping issues from Gulf War Syndrome, but mostly bad knees - impact of running is out. Used to Cycle extensively, but time constraints make it not a good option, though I have my bike on a stationary trainer, and use it occasionally. Mostly, I like higher intensity of 20min or so workouts. Also, with heavy squats schedule in weight lifting routine, I would rather let legs get some break. Let's just leave it at that.

Thanks,
Mark

• 1 month later...

Conceptually, I think what you're going for is to get your heart rate to 65%-85% without running or other pure cardio activities. Grinder workouts are very good for those - these can include kettlebell exercises. A generic grinder will last 30 minutes and you'll get your heart going quickly because the entire workout is non-stop.

Do a brief warm up however you like and then 4 to 6 iterations of multiple exercises, again nonstop. One generic one I do is:

12x clean and press (you can use 2x dumbells instead of a full bar)

20x sit ups (put a medicine ball on your feet)

12x burpees (include or don't include a pushup)

12x medicine ball slams (can sub in a kettle bell exercise)

20x mountain climbers

Do that entire thing 4 times in a row but change the number of reps each go around so that youre not slowing your pace down significantly - again, the goal is to get the HR in 65-85% and keep it there. So on the second go around you could do 10, 18, 10, 10, 18, etc.

PM me for more info or alt exercises

Tom

• 1 month later...

Elliptical , jump rope and stairs climbing are good short cardio workout.

I sometime do 100 jump rope and then climb 5 flights of steps come back down jump rope 100 again and so forth for 20 to 30 minutes huge calorie burn and cardio blast.