Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sightron 1 X 7 scope

Steve RA

I am still baffled how anyone can say the glass is equal to the Swaro. I did not have them side by side, but the optical quality of the Swaro is certainly superior.

It is a good buy for the magnification, but, it is very heavy and has a terrible reticle.

I have ditched all

My Swaro optics and replaced them with Sightron. No regrets about making the switch.

My only regret is spending the big bucks on the name, and not comparing 'less costly' offerings from other manufacturers.

Whoops. I still have a fav pair of Swaro binoculars... And I won't be replacing them anytime soon.

Mark, the optics are as good as the Swaro. I have both scopes. The reticle does suck but new reticle in 2013 for the Sightron. Also, the Sightron only weighs 3.8 ounces more than the Swaro and you gain 1x on the top end. The Swaro has way better field of view, better reticle, and better illumination. It also costs at least $1700 more. The Sightron matches it in glass and tracking and bests it in magnification. The Sightron is fantastic for the price.

Edited by 1760yds

Overall I think Sightron glass is the best for the money. I have been running the 1-7 for close to a year and I love it. The reticle is the only thing I would want to change. With that said, the vast majority of our 3 gun shooting poses no problem for this scope. The glass is so clear and crisp, I can't tell any difference between it and a swaro. If sightron would listen to me I'd tell them to put in their 2 moa reticle. I don't see the daylight reticle get better, that alone would double the cost of the scope. More later, evil eyes from wife at her families Christmas party.

For a 3Gun scope...the magnification seems good but I just dont know how you can get away with that reticle if you are serious about 3Gun..... if you go to a lot of matches especially across the 3Gun Nation circuit.... you really need a BDC reticle to be competitive.... a 10" flasher at 423 yards across a valley in TX is not an easy target to hit....even with a BDC reticle....without it.... you better be really good or it would be a very difficult shot. For the money I would rather have a Leu VX-VI 3Gun.

As for the glass.... Swaro quality???? I would have to see that to believe it.

• 4 months later...

I just bought one, but haven't run it in a match yet. Hopefully next weekend. I used in on a side match a couple weeks ago and was very happy with it. Yes, the dot reticle sucks, but I can live with it for now. It's a fairly large scope compared to the typical 1-4x variety, both longer and heavier. The required eye relief is also noticeably longer. I tried a PEPR mount, but it just didn't quite feel right. I put it in a Larue SPR-E and it's perfect. The Larue gives me 1/2" farther forward and it's just a little lower than the Burris mount. As already mentioned, the glass is very nice and clear, but that's almost a given with the Sightron SIII line. I don't care about the illumination at all as I never seem to use it anyway. I'll probably just take the battery out so that it can't leak and ruin anything.

I was at the NRA show and Sightron was there. There was a 1-7 with a MOA hash marked reticule. I wasnunder the impression they only had a. #4.

I would prefer mil based but could deal with MOA.

Do any of you have this reticule?

The dot covers about 2" at 100 yards.

That's at 7x which is about 14" at 1x in a 2nd focal plane scope. Most people don't even use a dot on their pistol that size. It has tons of hashes that cover a lot of the viewing area and just make things way too busy.

post-8246-0-46827700-1367894224_thumb.jp

The dot covers about 2" at 100 yards.

That's at 7x which is about 14" at 1x in a 2nd focal plane scope. Most people don't even use a dot on their pistol that size. It has tons of hashes that cover a lot of the viewing area and just make things way too busy.

i have two of them one with each reticle the dot is no where near that big on 7 power it dosent even cover up my 4x5inch target at 400 yds the moa reticle has super fine/tiny lines/hash marks that dont get in the way of anything

but what do i know i acctually use them :)