Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Scope for Heavy Metal Optics Divsion AR-10?

cbmax

Hi All,

I just ordered a Larue Tactical PredatAR in 7.62 with a 16 inch barrel. God knows when it will actually be delivered.

Anyhow, I want to use the rifle for Heavy Metal Optics Division and FL hog hunting.

What scope would you recommend? Within reason, money is not an issue. I have beeing looking at the IOR Valdada Spartan in 2-12X36. I am looking for something with a little upper end magnifcation if possible. I also want to keep the the rifle as light weight as possible.

Given the intended usage, what would you recommend?

CB

I would think for Florida hog you would want a seriously fast true 1x. I used to hunt them with a red dot, but where I was hunting was jungle and you couldn't see more than 40 yards ever in any direction. Maybe go the 2-12 but put a 45' red dot for when they charge?

Depending on the matches you want to shoot, I think 2-12 might be overkill. If you shoot mostly Eastern PA matches (where I did for a few years) there are NO ranges past 200 yards, so anything higher than 6x is overkill. I ran a Trijicon 1-4 with triangle, and loved it on anything out to 400 yards (when I shot in WV). the true 1x seems to make it more that worthwhile on anything inside 80 or so yards. Keep in mind, I have young eyes. A bunch of fellow shooters went for the Swaro/Leupold/bushnell 1-6 and did more than OK with it around there.

Maybe check out out and see what you think? I really believe quality low end is more beneficial, at least to me and how I shoot.

Think about how far you will shoot with it. The old school of thought on magnification is one power for every 100 yards.

I just ordered a Leupold mark 6 1-6x for my Knights, though I dont have it yet so I cant comment either way, good or bad.

George

The difference between swaro and vortex is mostly in the reticle. Pick the one you like. Don't skimp and get something with less than 1x at the bottom.

Moving from 4x to 6x is about $1k...that is a lot of scratch for 4 or 5 shots, none of which I missed with 4x, and the 1x guys hit them too.

Division does not matter...Dialing is SLOW and too prone to screw up...low profile is better across the board. I've seen a stage or two where there was a target that might have been okay to dial for...but you have to remember what to dial, and then turn it back. It is easier to remember where to hold.

You should look at the Sightron 1-7. I have one and its amazing. In fact, when they come out with their newer reticle in 2013 I'll probably sell my Swaro 1-6. Optics planet has them for $689 with free shipping. It has true 1x on the bottom and 7x on top.

I run a 1-4 power, and regularly practice on a 7" plate at 300 yards with no issues as long as i do my part. For your intended purpose a 1-4 or 1-6 would be perfect for hunting/3 gunning.

If you want a high power optic my best advice is to buy two high quality quick detach mounts, and run a 1-X in competition and hunting, and throw on the high power optic anytime you plan on reaching out to touch something, which that gun is capeable of doing. My larue mount has no zero change on my Predatar 5.56 and its been removed alot of times for load development with a 20 power optic.

I'm running a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 on my .308 AR.

I'm a pretty new shooter, but I think it's a great scope. Glass is clear, it has capped turrets, it's easy to adjust the dials etc. I have the plain duplex reticle... I do wish I had a different reticle, (They have other reticles to choose from.) but it's 1-6 and sub 1000.00. Might wanna look into it.

I would love to have a swaro, but it's pricey. If you aren't super determined to have a 1-6. I really like the Meopta ZD 1-4. The reticle looks simple and fast. Obviously the Vortex is good as well.

Edited by GregSmith