Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to USPSA; critiques needed!

Sarcoblaster

I shot my third USPSA match this past Saturday and I'm officially hooked! Much better than standing and blasting away at paper. The first match I ever shot was in limited division because I didn't know any better and ended up 19th out of 42.

After realizing I should've been shooting in production due to the equipment I have, I placed 7th out of 22 on my second match (http://uspsa2.org/match_results/match_disp.php?match=20121110&club=NRG#overallproduction) and 6th out of 28 on my third match (http://uspsa2.org/match_results/match_disp.php?match=20121208&club=NRG#overallproduction).

Here are some videos of me shooting various stages:

I'm mostly doing it because it's fun, but due to my competitive nature, I want to get much better. That having been said, looking at my overall and stage scores in the links above (look for Randy Chung) as well as the videos, what are the most obvious things that I can improve on? Please be straightforward, you won't hurt my feelings!

Thanks!

Randy

Dude how long have youbeen doing this? I can say that you look pretty smooth and un-hurried. I think if you just keep doing what you're doing you will progress well. You could shoot with some shooters in your area who are A, M, or GM shooters if you know of any. They will usually not mind squadding with you at locals, and if you are like me you can make really good friends with some of them and learn a lot from them for free.

Some people take classes, and if I had the time or money, I would take one. Your reloads looked pretty good. You didn't seem to fumble getting your mags in that one stage, and that is where you can tell if someone can reload well or not. Not when it is on the belt, standing still, but rather when it is on a table that you have to pass on the way to another position.

What are your points like at this time? What percentage of available points did you get?

Edited by JimmyZip

Hey dood not bad!

I shoot at Norco as well, hit me up next time you go.

As far as your shooting you are well a head of the rest..

You can hit what you aim at!!

As far as improvement goes its all about the little things..

Keep doing what your doing and you will get faster :)

There's allot to learn ahead, and lots of new ideas to get used too..

See you at the range!

Cheers,

Los

Posted two more videos below for further critique (only let me post 2 at a time).

To answer the questions posed:

1. I've only shot USPSA three times, but have been shooting for about 6 years and have some formal training.
  2. As for percentages of available points, if I'm reading the results correctly: 67.59% for the most recent match and 69.22% for the one before (both percentages within production division only).

Looking forward to improving and have fun while doing it. Been lurking on this forum for a short while and picked up one or two little things that I applied with success on the last match.

carlosa: sounds good, I'll PM you the next time I plan on shooting Norco Running Gun.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Randy i also shoot at Norco. Carlos is dead on. You are way ahead of the curve. Looks like you are squadding with Jojo. Excellent person to get information from. Watch Jojo's video's and pay attention to his foot work. I curse the steel stage every weekend.

Some little things from the first video would be target engagement order. You shot the first 3 targets left to right. I would have shot them right to left, that way you dont get stuck in that lean on the target behind the wall and can "flow" through the others and maybe even start moving up before you are done shooting. With the No shoots there, you may not get much of a head start moving, but any little bit is better than none. Also, You get really far into the ports with your arms/gun. Unless there is a hard angle shot, usually staying out of the ports will be faster and less chance of hitting your gun on something. If you go into the port, you have to come back out. If you stay out, you are already out and ready to move quicker. You will gain more time in the non-shooting stuff than you will by trying to shoot faster.

You are definitely off to a good start. Just remember, shoot as fast or as slow as you need to in order to make your hits. Then do EVERYTHING ELSE quickly.

As for percentages of available points, if I'm reading the results correctly: 67.59% for the most recent match and 69.22% for the one before (both percentages within production division only).

I'm guessing that's hit factor percentage based off the top shooter. If you look at the individual stage results there should be a column for points. Compare that to the maximum available for that stage and you can figure out how many points down you are. Judging by the video I would guess you are shooting almost all A hits.

You look like you are shooting really good, especially for a new shooter. My one critique would be that it looks like you are taking too long to take your shots. Especially the first shot coming into a port. You don't have to have a perfect sight picture, just good enough to get most in the A zone. Try practicing getting the first shot off while you are still moving into the port, and start moving out while you are shooting the last shot.