Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

December

benos

What is the most valuable shooting lesson that you have learned, here or anywhere?

Safety is RULE #1. - Treat the Gun Ias if it is Always Loaded until YOU have cleared it. When loaded Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target!

Edited by Rob Tompkins

Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.... Lesson learn during a live fire demo. As I was running acrossed a large open field just as fast as I could to keep up with the rest of the unit. I suddenly lost my feet out from under me. As my face hurdled towards the ground with nothing I could do to stop it. I hit the ground at the same time firing a live round towards my right. Little did I know this round came inches from hitting my sgt at the time. Before I could pick myself up off the ground I recieved the hardest football punt kick to my backside I have ever felt in my entire life. Needless to say ol sgt never had to correct that issue with me again. Nothing like a danner boot to the rearend to let you know never ever have you finger on the trigger unless you are ready to fire.

I have tried many strange things that folks have said help them.

shoot with both eyes open is one.

I guess they were trying to tell me to keep at least one open...

I tried a lot of advice as best I could.

for me it comes down to this place every time.

I know the first thing that wrecks my aim is any kind of 'excitement.'

Any thing that causes doubt,concern, worry, will cause excitement. And a little is a LOT.

when I am sure of what I see, the pistol in my hand, and have no causes for distracting myself.

I am true and can run out a magazine quick

I recall one time at the range when I self coached; "don't get excited, just look, then shoot."

I stopped for a bit and was thinking, "that was backwards, coach,... ummmm can you say in in forward?"

I realized the word I wanted exists; Serenity.

this was the lesson:

Find serenity in your shooting or you will miss a lot.

miranda

eta: an 'e'

Edited by Miranda

Trigger Press. You can make it pretty far without great trigger control but eventually it will hold you back. If you get to that point you will be in serious trouble because you will have a lot of work to undo the sloppy trigger press you've ingrained. Learn proper trigger control.

When I was shooting skeet I got this advice from a multiple time world champ. No one on this field can beat you. The only way you won't win is if you don't do your part. Ie as long as you don't miss your unbeatable.

Edited by EkuJustice

Open myself up to learn more.

Although I liked many responses in this thread, that one is my favorite. It was several Moderator's favorite too.

If one always keeps that in mind, there will be no limits to what you can do, or where you can go.

PM inbound.

Thanks to all for contributing!

be

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know its late but...

keep your booger hooker off the bang switch until you are ready to fire

your brain is the ultimate safety

do not wear brown jersey gloves while shooting slugs from a Ithaca Model 37, one could break their nose...(yeah learned that that hard way at an early age)

practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...