Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xdm 5.25 40 versus sti edge

moonshoxx

My buddy shoots the M&P in Limited and with all the upgrades necessary to be competitive he's into it for over $1300. Still nowhere near my Edge. Buy once, cry once, and the resale is much better on a S_I gun if you decide Limited isn't for you.

that is what i am thinking large. I have a limited G35 now and i can seem to give it away even with all the upgrades. I was just wondering whether to go XDM and match my production gun or just bite the bullet and go STI

that is what i am thinking large. I have a limited G35 now and i can seem to give it away even with all the upgrades. I was just wondering whether to go XDM and match my production gun or just bite the bullet and go STI

They're two different animals. You can still shoot production with your tupperware but if you look at the top 10 competitors in Limited at any of the matches you shoot, I'm certain that you'll see a lot more 2011's than modified production guns. I would be surprised if my buddy could get $700 for his M&P, but I'll always be able to get good dough for my STI. Limited is a highly competitive arena, and there's a reason the top guys shoot what they shoot. The exception being the odd Glock guy but ehh.

Personally I love beating the STI guys with my MP 40. Its 95% the Indian when it comes to this game. If you arent at the best of your ability an Sti isnt going to help you.

Just because most of the top guys shoot them doesnt mean you need to. Get to A or B class with the fundamentals and then reward yourself with an sti to take your game to the next level

Personally I love beating the STI guys with my MP 40. Its 95% the Indian when it comes to this game. If you arent at the best of your ability an Sti isnt going to help you.

Just because most of the top guys shoot them doesnt mean you need to. Get to A or B class with the fundamentals and then reward yourself with an sti to take your game to the next level

The whole point is.... Why buy twice?

Recoil won't go away but it will radically reduced. Glocks and M&P types are extremely light guns. 2011's weigh a ton in comparison.

You need to shoot both side by side to realize the vast difference.

Shoot an Open Glock and an Open 2011. It's like a stick of TNT going off in your hand with a light Glock. same principle.

If you are mainly concerned with recoil, see if you can find a Sig X5 .40 Competition to shoot. Its a heavier, all steel gun. In Limited, I shoot the X5 even though I own a Dawson Precision STI Edge. I definitely prefer my X5 to my Edge. I get better results and performance. The only downside is capacity. With extended basepads with .40s&w I get 17+1. But the X5 is crazy accurate and eats recoil. For the record, I also at one time shot an xdm40 5.25. Excellent gun! But the results I get in Limited are much better with X5 and Edge.

i will have to check out this sig x5 as i honestly have not heard of it

I have one for sale: http://www.brianenos...opic=162187&hl=

Am somewhat local to you so if you would like to come see it/handle it, let me know.

It also looks like the X5 you have for sale is the L1 model, which has an adjustable trigger. So to tune the trigger you don't need to send it off to a gunsmith or do any work yourself. You just use the tool that came with the Sig X5 L1 and you easily and quickly adjust the trigger to your liking with trigger weight, pretravel, and reset. I also have an X5 L1 model (in addition to my X5 Competition model) and it's really sweet.

+1

Bob Vogel almost won the 2012 Pro Am Open Division using his Limited setup Glock.

There are plenty of upgrades you can do to an XDm to make them compete with the 2011 (I.E.: heavy tunsten guide rods, stainless steal mag wells, etc...).

I believe the only advantage the 2011 have is the trigger. In my opinion, there is no better trigger system than the ones in 1911/2011 handguns. The right gunsmith can make then absolutely sweet.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Edited by szhttm

After starting in Limited with an XDM40 in 4.5" with some mods and then moving to a Brazos HP Edge, I can tell you its almost night and day.

The triggers are way different going from a pivoting trigger on the XDMs to the straight pull trigger of a 2011. I think it allwos you to stay on target better without the increases tendancy to pull the muzzle down when firing. The trigger pull is also, IMO, smoother on my Edge. Granted there are some sweet trigger jobs on XDMs, but I prefer the Edge. The Edge has a shorter reset as well.

The magazine capacity is the same, I got 20 for the XDM and get 20 in each of the STI mags with Dawson Basepads. However, I think the reloading and magazine insertion is easier on the edge because the STI mags taper way down at the top compared to the XDM.

I like that I have a place to index my strong hand thumb on the thumb safety everytime on the Edge. On the XDM, it can kind of hang out there with just an indent at the top of the grip for thumb placement.

I don't like the wide front sight that comes with the XDM lines. I think a narrower front is better for competition shooting, unless you need the wider front sight because of your eyes.

The recoil is very different. My Edge takes away a lot of felt recoil.

If you are still deciding between an XDM 5.25 and an STI Edge, get the Edge. I know its more expensive, but they come up on the classifieds here fairly regularly. Get one with low rounds and a few mags and decide what you want to do. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and get a 5.25.

I also have some experience in this area. In fact I built my XDm Limited Gun specifically to show that it can in fact run with the big dogs. This year was my first competing in Limited and I took 2nd Place 'B' at Area 5 and 3rd Place 'B' and Indiana. As far as recoil goes I've had several people say they feel the polymer gun absorbs more then the all steel so it feels softer. This is probably a personal preference and opinions will vary.

However if you think a heavier gun helps manage that recoil (which I do too) I can tell you my gun weighs in at 42 oz which is right up there with the 2011. In fact STI's website lists the Edge at 37.6 oz so I'd say I'm doing well there. My trigger pull is 2lb 4oz and has extremely short travel; easily less travel then most standard 1911/2011 platforms. A full blown custom 2011 I'd say is slightly shorter and provides more feel on the reset but mines pretty darn close.

You just have to have someone set it up that knows what they are doing. A bone stock Edge to a bone stock XDm the Edge will win all day long. A full blown custom XDm from a good smith is a pretty sweet platform and hard to beat. Sure a full custom 2011 would be better but at a much higher price tag.

Nothing wrong with a 2011 though; I really like them myself. But I think an XDm holds its own all day with them. While I also like the M&P platform I don't think you can get one set up in Limited trim quite as nice as the XDm. Certainly not as heavy or balanced up front with the choices of tungsten guide rods.

In summation I'd say depending on your skill level it might not matter so just go with what you like. For me personal I think I'd shoot just as badly with either platform and since I like the XDm's that's what I went with. Just for reference here's a couple videos of me shooting the XDm for you to see for yourself what you think.

I have been shooting Canyon Creek madeover XDs and XDMs since 2007...I went over to the dark side last spring and bought a used 2011 (also built by Rich at CC) and have totally fallen in love with the platform...I have shot the XDM once since last march...at a steel match

there is no comparison between a custom 2011 and a custom XDM.....

see if someone will loan you and older backup STI and shoot it for a half dozen matches and then decide

I have been shooting Canyon Creek madeover XDs and XDMs since 2007...I went over to the dark side last spring and bought a used 2011 (also built by Rich at CC) and have totally fallen in love with the platform...I have shot the XDM once since last march...at a steel match

there is no comparison between a custom 2011 and a custom XDM.....

see if someone will loan you and older backup STI and shoot it for a half dozen matches and then decide

Can you give some details as to what / why you like it more? I'm very interested in hearing your opinion since you have first hand knowledge of both since Rich's gun are some of the best XD's out there for limited division. I could see where a bone stock XDm wouldn't compare but Rich's guns are fantastic.

Thans!

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue with one to pick. For about $500 more I could have got into an entry Edge but I wanted to be different. So many people have S_I's and I wanted show them that a polymer gun can hang with a 2011. Parts are a lot easier to get for the 2011 and you can find a lot more information on how to fix issues with them and what loads/powders run best in them but Canyon Creek and Pistol Gear have come a long way in the last year or two. I have also noticed that a lot of guys running 2011 are not the most friendly and most of them have some ego issue they need to get over. I am not saying all of them have this but a few do and I never want to be like that. I guess I made my pick because it is different and a little cheaper. I am sure I will cross over to the dark side in a few years but for now I will stick with my Canyon Creek XDm 4P+.

I went with Dawson competition ready xdm. Can you guys share some idea as to how to increase weight. I am filling guide rod with tungsten and have dawson ice Magwell. Recoil is my biggest opponent. I thinking lead or tungsten tape somewhere inside but not sure. Any help????

Mine came with a tungsten guide rod in it and SS mag well. The weight is very noticable when compared to my Production 5.25 9mm. They sell tungsten mag release also. I also like a really heavy bullet because it helps with a more push than muzzle rise recoil feel. Some people like snappy recoil and some like a push. I would just suggest reloading with a good powder (I use N320), lighten your slide, and use a little bigger spring. My .40 has just a little more recoil than my 9mm (both are 5.25 XDm's).

I went with Dawson competition ready xdm. Can you guys share some idea as to how to increase weight. I am filling guide rod with tungsten and have dawson ice Magwell. Recoil is my biggest opponent. I thinking lead or tungsten tape somewhere inside but not sure. Any help????

In USPSA and if you are participating in the Production Devision, the rules state that you can't change the origianl weight of the firearm by more than 2ozs. You can add more weight as you like if you are participating in Limited, Limited 10, and/or Open. Since you are adding the magwell, I assume you will be participating in the Limited, Limited 10, and/or Open.

A few options for you:

1. http://www.shop.canyoncreekcustom.com/product.sc?productId=11&categoryId=13
  2. http://www.shop.canyoncreekcustom.com/product.sc?productId=12&categoryId=13
  3. http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=167&categoryId=37
  4. http://www.pistolgear.com/
  5. http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/

How much weight you want to add/taken off the firearm is mostly a personal choice and what works best for each individual. Some want weight taken off, some like a little weight added, some want to add the most weight possible, and then there are those in between.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Can't say I've shot both in Limited. But big difference I saw between my friend's Production XDm and my Open STI is the size of the grip right behind the trigger. Regardless of which grip insert you put in the XDM (I used the Large, pointed the muzzle up nice & high) you'll still have the same small area of grip between the grip safety and your 2nd finger. If you're looking for a gun for small hands (teenager, wife, sister, etc) then the XDm probably wins out. Not that you want to shoot thumbs-down, but to try a gun out it's good to see if the prospective shooter can get their thumb-tip to reach down and sit on the last digit of the 2nd finger. If not, the gun's probably too big in the grip for them.

Already posted a couple times about the 2.1 pound trigger that Springer put on my friend's XDm. Seriously amazing. That gun's trigger travel is about 1/8" compared to just over 1/16" on my 2011. Both have very short resets, the 2011 is just a little better and of course it's straight back & forth. If you can get the XDm Limited gun weight up to 42 oz like a poster here did, you have 2 gun platforms that are pretty close and it comes down to preference, hand size, spare parts availability, and cost.

I put my support thumb under (not on) the XDm frame and used a Vogel-type grip that worked really well. No complaints there. But now in 2013 there are almost unlimited amounts of leverage available in Limited (Go-Guns, DAA Adjustable) as bolt on parts. Also unlimited sight radius and you can choose to have the front sight not move from the barrel. All that is much easier to do (but not cheap) with a 2011.

Edited by eric nielsen