Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 Timney trigger vs AR Gold trigger

PursuitSS

I have both and prefer the Timney. The AR Gold is a 2 stage, even though the first stage is very light. It does have a good break. The thing I don't like about the Gold is the reset- it's mushy.

I have not heard reports of issues w/ the Timney firing when dropped, but then I don't shoot w/ anyone who has a habit of dropping loaded guns either.

Haven't used a Timney but the Gold has a secondary intercepting sear which catches the hammer if it is released from the primary due to a drop. The advantage to this setup is that even if dropped, an AR can still be fired intentionally by the user without pulling on the charging handle to reset the hammer. Trigger pull will be a heavier and single stage but after this shot trigger becomes two-stage again with a light pull. The disadvantage to this setup is that engaging the safety is slightly more difficult as it now has to work through two sears (though disengaing the safety is still a smooth and easy operation).

If you want a qualitative description of the trigger pull, think of the AR Gold as a custom 1911 trigger for your AR. Light take up (1st Stage), crisp break (2nd Stage), and very short reset (but not as positive a reset as other AR triggers though much shorter).

I have both as well and I'm with Bryan, while the gold is nice and short it feels a little flaccid on the reset and can be almost imperceptible when dealing with cold weather and adrenaline of competition. For bench shooting I'd take the gold but for competition I'll stick to the timney it just works better for me and my style of shooting, and it is by far the the cleanest and most consistent break and reset of the triggers I've used thus far.

I'd quibble a little bit on wording in some previous comments. The reset is crisp, but subtle. But yes, calling it imperceptible in cold or fast competition seems accurate and fair. It's a step function graph, but not a large value difference from one moment to the other. I still like it overall, but a single stage with a stronger (while still crisp) reset could be nice too. I personally don't ride the trigger and use the reset to tell me when to fire again. I'm not sure that would be easy to do with an AR Gold trigger. However, I realize that many others do.

Edited by michael1778