Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Franchi Affinity for 3 gun?

GuyC

I am looking to purchase a duck/dove gun that can also be outfitted for 3 gun in the off season. I like the Affinity by Franchi, it uses the same technology as the Benelli M2, and is owned by Benelli. I have found extended mag tubes for it, but no after market barrels shorter than 26". The Affinity is only $700 and the reviews seem to be great. I got to look at one at a local store and it seemed to be a quality gun. What do you think?

I have looked for used Benelli's, but there not many out there around the $700 price range. I think it just might be the time of the year. Around March I could probably find a lot of them for sale at a reasonable price.

I recently purchased an affinity for 3G. I looked into others like the Benelli, versa max or mossberg JM but found they were either not affordable for me or seemed to be unavailable. In my research I stumbled onto the Affinity. After researching it I found one and made the jump. My first impression was I made a good choise. The fit and finish were good and it handled and mounted great. I have an extension tube and will begin modifications to include lifter weld, shell stop polish, loading port bevel and installing an oversize bolt release. Right now I only have about 100 rounds through it (mostly walmart Federals plus a few slugs and reloads). No issues so far. Function is perfect. Recoil seems right there with my buddy's Benelli M2. Can't wait to really put it through it's paces but the weather is starting to turn colder. At this point I think it's a really good shotgun. Well worth the money.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Stearns

I am not just looking for a 3 gun shotgun. it also needs to be a hunting rig. I think the only thing I would do to it would be add a mag tube extension. I may have to call Briley because you now have me curious why. For $700 it looks hard to beat. I have yet to find a review saying that it doesn't run.

It's ironic that this threat popped-up. This week I too had the same question and got the same response from Briley. I didn't want to stall the gentleman I was speaking with as I'm sure he had guns to work on so we didn't go into any detail about why the Affinity wasn't comparable to the M2. One must assume that a business whose bread and butter is customizing shotguns know what they are talking about. I'll be interested to see how Dwight's rig works for him as he runs up the round count.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the affinity another workout with slugs this week. It is grouping 5 shots into 3" at 50 yds with the group centered about 3" left of POA. This was with the improved. cylinder choke tube. Without the extension the group was about the same size but about 6" high left. I tried the modified choke tube and it grouped at POA but the group doubled. I just got a light modified and will give that a try next. I now have 265 rounds through it (100 Walmart Federals, 100 reloads, 25 low recoil buckshot and 40 low recoil slugs). The gun shoots great. Zero malfunctions. Now I just need to learn to load it. Oh well, that's what winters are for.

Dwight

• 5 months later...

I'm running an Affinity with a Briley tube (everything else is box stock) and it works just fine. Others keep commenting on how light the thing is, but I don't think the recoil is worse than anything else I have shot, and more mild than my mossberg 500.

Correction...I'm running an extended Carlsons light modified choke...otherwise stock.

Edited by love2shoot

• 2 years later...

Well, here is my Franchi Affinity with TTI lifter installed (as well as charging handle and safety). Nordic extension tube. Briley bolt release milled to fit (but TTI will also work).
SVGtN6M.jpg
xL88TXa.jpg

Edited by Steppenwolf

• 8 months later...

I too have a Franchi Affinity all set up for 3 gun. I have around 700 rounds threw mine so far and not one problem. That is including both federal 100 round value pack and the winchester univeral. It does not take the same extension as the beneli m2, but nordic makes an extension that fits it. Mine is out fitted with TTI lifter, safety, bolt release, and a nordic oversized bolt handle. Also the serial number is no where near the loading port so you can open it up to your hearts content. I highly recommend them. Watch for deals I picked up mine new off of gunbroker for $630.