Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .308 AR10 barrel?

silverphoenix

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

JP uses Lilja barrels,  Rainier Arms uses various vendors from Wilson on up.   Sounds like you may be interested in some precision, but also just shooting some ball in it.  As you already found out, the bigger the gun, the more things cost.  The more precision, the more the cost. Spinta Precision had 308/7.62 barrels from $199 to $249 may fit your budget.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Like scopes the barrel is the foundation for a rifle. You might want to go up slightly on ur barrel price. A  great barrel  is BSF barrels i have bought 3 in the last 4 months and so far pretty great  two in bolt guns and one in a gas gun

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2012 at 2:06 PM, silverphoenix said:

I have a Fulton Armory AR10 upper with FA/DC and am looking to get a BCG, Barrel, and Rail so I can put it on the SR25 pattern AR10 lower I have.

What would be the best manufacturer/ type of barrel to get for long range precision shooting? Stainless Steel or Melonited? Length? Twist?

Unless you get unlucky, any new barrel will out-shoot you.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a .308 instead of these sexy new calibers that wont be around in 10years once the fad wears off...by going with .308, you accept the ballistic penalty that comes with it, but you also accept:

1. the longer barrel life,

2. availability of components, and

3. factory match ammunition for those times when the airport looses your case with ammo in it, or you simply forget your ammo when traveling.

You did not mention how far you plan to shoot & what sort of matches you'll be rocking the AR-10 in...the asnwers you provide should dictate your barrel length.

If this is really your precision rifle rig, I recommend you get a 24" barrel.

• 4 months later...
On 11/29/2012 at 7:02 PM, KTKlaus said:

I haven't seen a decent quality 308 barrel for less than 250 (retail). Criterion/Fulton Barrels work quite well, and with a decent price tag. Another option is Rainier Arms, which is what I have been using on my LR308 builds and come with 3 different levels from Select, Match and UltraMatch. With 175SMKs getting sub MOA.

I recently built two 308's based on Aero precision uppers and lowers, with toolcraft nib BCG's. One of them has an $85 Spinta precision barrel, and the other is a lightweight build using a Faxon pencil 308. The Spinta shoots Federal Nosler polymer tips with every round touching, and the Faxon is about 1.5 to 2 MOA with those rounds. 

I will be replacing the Spinta with a $485 Stainless Proof Research barrel to see if that improves accuracy further. I will keep the Faxon, as that 308 build is only 6 LBS, and makes for a great hunting rifle.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:16 AM, Rod603 said:

I see no one is saying anything about ballistic advantage barrel, are they not any good? Just bought one for my 308 build.

I built two 308's with BA barrels on Aero upper/lower. Although they shoot straight, i find they jam much more frequently than other brands. Their chambers qre probably tighter and less forgiving with crappy cheap ammo. 

• 3 weeks later...