Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical sequence question

dsmw5142

I was designing stages for this months match and I had an idea. I was wondering if it is illegal or problematic for any reason to have a "tactical sequence" stage where the shooter starts behind a 8' long wall. The targets are partially hidden with barrels so that some can be seen from one side and some from the other.

So basically they would have to, for instance, start on the right, move left and then back right again. I don't see anything that would prohibit it, but I've never seen it done before.

Thanks.

I can see nothing in the Rule Book that would prohibit the COF you have outlined. But, I can see a lot of shooters asking "What is the relevance, and why not just double tap each when you see them from your position of cover instead of all that running back and forth"?

It's not the type of scenario that Tactical Sequence was intended to address... i.e. being confronted with multiple targets in the open and without cover at a relatively close range. I could envision some degree of shooter discontent.

It's not the type of scenario that Tactical Sequence was intended to address... i.e. being confronted with multiple targets in the open and without cover at a relatively close range. I could envision some degree of shooter discontent.

Agreed. Tac sequence has a rationale; it's not meant to be arbitrary.

If you want shooters running around behind cover and re-engaging targets, that's actually not a bad idea. That might fly with the shooters.

The question would be if... in Vickers scoring... the shooters 'stacked' the target on the first engagement and then just blasted rounds quickly in the general target direction as they made their second run on it. My suggestion for a 'two to the body..first... then re-engage later with one to the head'... would be to make it Limited Vickers scoring. Each round counted, and each round must count.

COF description might read "Limited Vickers scoring: Engage each target with two rounds to the body before any target is engaged with one round to the head, scoring shall be two body shots and one separate head shot... and only one head shot shall score. Any body shot that strikes the head shall be scored as a miss." The COF description is the current Bible, and that would cover any whining.

That would get you the need to move behind cover and re-engage targets... but might run afoul of the provisio that Limited scoring should not be used in scenario stage... and basically is just for Standards type stages.

But, I think it would fly. Bill it as a "Standards Stage, no cover garment required" and go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're shooting from cover, Tac Sequence is not appropriate. Setting it up as a skill test (movement and target reengagement) and scoring Limited Vickers would be okay.

Mark,

Don't do it. You can not combine tactical sequence and tactical priority on a set of targets. Like Crusty said above, tac sequence is not appropriate from cover.

Koski

Addendum page 10:

Tactical Sequence may not be combined with Tactical Priority (near to far or from cover) on the same targets.