Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets "New Coating"

jrbet83

Anyone that's shot Bayou's for awhile, know that Donnie has recently changed his coating; from what he told me, due to material shortages. Just curious if anyone has noticed any difference between the two, pro's or con's?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't comment on the difference but I just put 500+ through from the batch I received a couple weeks ago and my barrel is as clean as a whistle. Remarkably cleaner than what I experienced w/ the precision 185s I had been using.

What is being shipped now is the third generation of coating. When going from Gen 1 to Gen 2 my velocities were basically the same. I did have to increase the bell on the case mouth slightly to avoid cutting the coating (which caused the bullets to key hole). I just received some Gen 3 bullets today. I have plenty of gen 2 left and plan to chrono the same load with each bullet in the same chrono session. I will report the results for those that are interested.

A buddy of mine is getting consistent 30 fps slower chrono readings with the new coating.

I too am getting slower velocities, probably around that 30 mark.

The other thing that frustrates me about the whole situation, is my first order last year (his prices had just gone up) I got the dull dark green finish. Placed another order earlier this year (his prices had just gone up again) and received the order in two lots. The first lot was the same dull finish but looked to be about half the coating. I know he was having supply issues, so I'm assuming it was using less coating, to try and stretch it out as much as possible. The second lot was his new dark green shiny bullet. When I asked him about it, he told me "I was having major supply issues with the original coating material adding to the delays. I decided to go another route and use this new stuff." That's not, I've been testing new coatings and came up with this new and improved version. Plus, he never even mentioned the difference in coatings over the phone or emails. I had to contact him and ask what the deal was. OK I'm done with my rant, but just disappointing when it seems like his prices are going up and quality going down.

nxj412.jpg

Edited by jrbet83

A buddy of mine is getting consistent 30 fps slower chrono readings with the new coating.

The other thing that frustrates me about the whole situation, is my first order last year (his prices had just gone up) I got the dull dark green finish. Placed another order earlier this year (his prices had just gone up again) and received the order in two lots. The first lot was the same dull finish but looked to be about half the coating. I know he was having supply issues, so I'm assuming it was using less coating, to try and stretch it out as much as possible. The second lot was his new dark green shiny bullet. When I asked him about it, he told me "I was having major supply issues with the original coating material adding to the delays. I decided to go another route and use this new stuff." That's not, I've been testing new coatings and came up with this new and improved version. Plus, he never even mentioned the difference in coatings over the phone or emails. I had to contact him and ask what the deal was. OK I'm done with my rant, but just disappointing when it seems like his prices are going up and quality going down.

nxj412.jpg

I just ordered some of his bullets and the prices seemed okay to me, could be they're just getting more popular. On the other issue, have you really noticed the "quality going down"?

nxj412.jpg

You base the quality of the bullets on the color of the coatings?

I just received 3000 147gr bullets. Donnie quoted a 2 week lead time and beat it. I would suggest emailing him directly at bayoubullets@yahoo.com. I have always found him to be very responsive to both inquiries and orders.

I ordered 4k of the 147 9mm and Donnie shipped on the date he told me he would.

Donnie is trying to improve the coating on these bullets. The previous coating had a distinct odor and he told me the new coating eliminated the smell. I have not had had a chance to load any up, but they look great and leave no residue on your fingers (not that I could see anyway).

I think the cost is very reasonable. Remember lead is going up and Donnie does not control the cost of lead.

I'd be interested in how the quality is going down. I see different colors but I see no difference in performance.

I got shipments of all three colors and they all chrono'd the same with the 180 gr .40 bullet.

Verified at 7 major matches plus the Nationals, chrono did not change.

I have shot all three generations. The last coating is very slightly slower. I can adjust. Other than that and the lack of unusual smell when shooting the gen 2s they are the same. Great accuracy and smoke on a par with a FMJ. When I ordered the gen 3s Donnie told me about the new coating and the the costs for his materials had gone up. Fair enough. I don't expect him to eat the difference and I am still good with the price.

As far as lead times I would call and ask. He makes them in batches. My last order for 9mm 160s was shipped in a week but he was just getting ready to make some of those when I called.

You base the quality of the bullets on the color of the coatings?

No the fact that my 10k order came in two different coatings, that shoot a significant velocity different, that I have to tweak my load for both coatings to make sure I'm at the right power factor. Plus the fact that he went to the new coating, not because he thought it was better, but because it's the stuff he could get easier to fill orders.

Anyone that's shot Bayou's for awhile, know that Donnie has recently changed his coating; from what he told me, due to material shortages. Just curious if anyone has noticed any difference between the two, pro's or con's?

Material shortages, as in it was no longer available.

Some users say the new coating shoots slower and some have said they were faster.

Most users seem to be well satisfied with the new coating. Like most new things I am sure there will be bumps in the road.

The new stuff I am using is imported from Australia and has been used there for many years.

I will be a distributor for the stuff in the U.S. And I am working to develop a kit for the home caster to use.

Like always, I stand 100% behind what I sell, if you have a problem call/e-mail me perhaps we can solve it, if not send'em back and get your money back.

Many thanks to all the forum members who have and continue to use the bullets we make.

Donnie

225 324 4501

As should be apparent from his post above, Donnie is a standup guy with a great product. I am using up the last of my older generation bullets and will be placing an order for some of the new ones very soon. Playing around with a buddy's new ones, they seem to be even cleaner to handle than the old matte ones.

Donnie , do you have any idea when the new coating will be available for home casters? How fast will can you push the bullets? Joe alluded that someone has shot them 3000 fps with his coatings. I realize it will be a function of alloy, but what are your thoughts?

Thank you