Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets "New Coating"

jrbet83

Well I got to go chrono yesterday, nice 20 degree day. I only had 140gr 40s in multiple generations so that is the only comparison I was able to do. All rounds were loaded with mixed cases, 4.0 grs of Clays, WSP, and an OAL of 1.135. All strings are 10 rounds each average velocity.

Gen 3 coating 5 strings

Gen 1 coating 5 strings

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200 gr. Bayou Bullet New coating (black vs green) on Bayou Bullets seems to have an adverse affect on velocity, i.e. same load is slower. Will try 4.0 grains to see if that gets us closer to a 170 PF. 3.8 gr. N320 CCI Primer COL 1.195" Bedell 6" Old BB Coating New BB Coating High 842 821 Low 828 814 Spread 14 7 0 Avg 833 817 PF 167 163 0

This isn't very clean, but this is the results I got with the older coating and the newer coating. I have not performed any other comparisons since this initial test; however, I will definitely do some more testing before heading off to a major match. Each set data consisted of five shots.

Regardless of speed, the bullets are still just as accurate and still my preferred projectile.

Got into my supply of Bayou Bullets with the new "Gen 3" coating a while back and I had a chance to shoot them over my Oehler 35p. I shot 2 strings of 20 shots each of the Gen 2 and new Gen 3 coatings. The average muzzle velocity was essentially the same out of my 5" Les Baer with no difference in accuracy. Load data and results as follows:

230gr RN Bayou Bullet

3.9gr VV N310

WINLP

1.25 OAL

Mixed Brass

Gen 2 avg velocity 753 =173.1 pf

Gen 3 avg velocity 750 =172.5 pf

Overall, I like the new coating. It's even cleaner handling then the old coating, no smoke no smell and no barrel residue. As always, YMMV.