Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement sights for Steyr M9A1

PacMan

I need to swap out the current trapzoidal (or whatever they call this weird sighting system) sights on my M9A1. I know Dawson doesn't make one but I am willing/able to do some filing to fit a new sights set in so my question is what is the closest to the Steyr factory dove tail for both front and rear? From another post it appeared that Springfield XD possibly is the closet match for the front dove tail, what about the rear?

Thx!

First go on Steyrclub.com and search the threads there. XD sights will work, but the base of the dovetail has to be filed slightly to fit. Steyr sells standard 3 dot night sights which are a direct fit, but I might recommend the PT rear sight and the Dawson Precision FO front sight for XD My link Any gunsmith will have no problem installing the XD sight, or you can do it yourself if you are patient and can use a file. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Yep, PT went out of business, taking my 1911 slide & sights with them, as well as the parts of quite a few others. They just vanished into the night. I'm sure they resold the parts for spending money.

3 of my Steyrs have PT rear and Dawson XD FO sights. 2 of my Steyrs have Trijicon night sight sets.

You might ask Trijicon for plain rear sight or a plain set, measure the front and order the correct height from Dawson. Trijicon told me they have to make the Steyr sights on demand, so why not skip the needless expense for tritium if this is for a game gun?

For my PT combos, I think I ordered the .205 height and filed a small bit off the top metal for perfect POI, but I'm not sure it was the .205". I do know i sent the slide to Richard Dawson and he or his shop measured and told me which to buy.

"PacMan" if you are on the front range, connect with Tom Freeman aka "Hoser", who runs matches in Pueblo & Co Springs. He made master with a Steyr M9 and I think cut his slide for Novaks or something. He told me it was a giant PITA and would just cut the sights next time. I found with the XD sights, you just have to keep filing and be patient.

ETA: If you don't NEED Fiber Optic, the Trijicon sights are pretty good, IMHO.

Edited by ben b.