Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 03-05 Paper Poppers

Flexmoney

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot this one Open in 5.44 down 2 for a hit factor of 8.8235. I wouldn't be suprised if the high hit factor is around 11. This one is sure to become a favorite, easy to set up and it's an ultra-fast blast. Shot the paper first then the steel. Be careful going back to the first array to make up shots. A reload is required when moving between arrays, even after the initial engagement.

Lee:

As Sam would say, "You smoked me like a cheap cigar." What do you think? Steel first or paper first? I would rather shoot the steel first but the notion of one left standing after the reload had me spooked. Yeah, I know, trust, confidence, don't miss, lol.

One day when we were shooting CM99-16 (Both Sides Now #2), Paul Clark Jr. advised me to never finish a position on a steel target. If you miss, but think you got it, you'll start the transition before you realize you screwed up. A bit of experience has shown this to be very true, especially for me.

I haven't shot it yet, but I agree, it looks like fun. Not to waist time on a chicken and egg debate, but I'd have to say paper first. Just my .02....

I look foward to getting out and trying it soon....

ron - i made up my mind shooting steel first when i got to the box, haha :lol: - and when i drew... i shot all 6 - one shot one hit... FORTUNATELY <_< , then did my reload and shot the paper...

i even contested for that C shot... it was too close of a call- but definitely a "feel good" classifier, hopefully this one doesn't turn out being a 13 some hf, haha

I went paper first, then steel.... quicker draw to paper, and you don't have to transition off the last popper to a mag change.... ifyou had a mike on steel you're still right there, just clean it up.

I shot this today 5.5?, 48 points - dropped 2 C's on the paper.... Limited. Anyone have any idea what the HHF will be on these new classifers yet?

broke my CM 03 cherry on this one. I shot it a 5.7 with a mike. I knew it needed to be fast, but i crashed and burned. I drew to the right paper and Alpha mike on the left paper. I think I drove past the taget on the big transition. Flubed the reload and then mowed the steel down. The crowd said that the last shot was fired berfore the first steel was all the way down. :D i still sucked though, but had a blast shooting it.

Edit: 5.0086 HF in open= 48.0829%

Edited by TheOtherErik

I shot this one yesterday. 47 points in 7.51 secs for 6.25... hit factor.

I drew to the left paper, shot an AC and then 2C on the right paper. Reload went smooth, more or less, and then I scored 6 nicely centered hits on the poppers. I thought it was a smooth run, and a good score for me, but I think I could turn it up a bit on the steel.

I drew to the paper thinking that closer paper targets would be more forgiving of a jittery start, and allow my grip to settle in before engaging the steel.

I'm a C class L-10 shooter (and basically shooting about the same in Limited), just scratching at B class, so I've been trying to shoot classifiers conservatively. Seems every time I really try to push them, I get an 18%. Far better to get up and shoot an "any day" run than go for a "lucky day" run.

DogmaDog

[Edit: Got the percentage posted on USPSA today, works out to 63.08..%]

[Edit again: Shot this one again on Saturday (01/01/05). Since the last time, I've moved up to B class. Took a tenth longer (missed steel twice, but got all 50 points, and bumped it up to a 6.57.. hf. Should be about 66%. Get those Alphas!]

[Yet another edit: This seems to be a really popular classifier. I shot it again yesterday (1/10/05). This time I shot it the same way, left to right paper, then left to right steel. When I transitioned to T2, the casing from my second shot on T1 bounced off the top of my slide. Then I missed the first popper, but made it up immediately. 50 points, 6.78 sec, 7.37..hf. I guess that ought to push 74 or 75%. Cool.]

DD

When guys are working their up the classification ladder, I think they would be best served shooting a classifier just like any other stage. No reason to go bezerk and throw hopers, on the other hand, slowing down and shooting sub standard probably isn't the best approach either. Just shoot.

Guest Larry Cazes

shot this one this weekend......C class limited. 8.62 seconds with 3As and 1D on the paper. Drew to the right paper first for 2As and on the left hit 1A and 1D. After the reload, swept the steel clean from left to right. MMM Good! I liked this one. :D

Shot this one on Saturday. Limited 10- 7.40 seconds, 50 points, 6.75hf. I shot the steel first from left to right clean, as I moved the gun onto the right paper target and started to squeeze the trigger I remembered that I needed to reload (luckily before the shot went off), hurried and slammed in a reload and engaged the paper. Looks like B class will not be accepting me and my moments of stupidity yet. :angry:

I know it would be really stupid to even consider it...but what would keep a shooter from charging the targets after the start signal? Furthermore....since it appears they could...there's no forward fault line to prevent them from engaging the steel less 10/7 meters (depending on the rule book being used).

I am a rookie, but enjoy the dialogue, so I will post my sorry score. I am yet unclassified, I decided to go paper , left then right, and then steel left to right. I shoot an HK USP in production. It is literally out of the box gun. I missed a couple of steel and had to go back and pick them up, I shot AC AC in 13.32 for a 3.45 hit factor. I have been practicing, and seem to be getting better, in fact on most stages, I am moving up, but those damn classifiers get me everytime.

• 3 weeks later...