Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Clays

hitman_usmc

Ok, I've been shooting ipsc, 3gun, and precision rifle matches for a while and starting to have an interest in clays (mainly 5 stand or sporting clays). When I was a kid living in the south for a short time I used to bird hunt and shoot clays with one of those wal-mart throwers and an old 870 wingmaster. That's about the extent of shotgunning that I have. I've been trying to read as much as possible on various clays/shotgun forums. I shot a few clays with my 3gun benelli, Just enough to know I definitely like shooting clays. Now some buddies from work are picking up hunting and doing a little clay shooting as well. This is where the question really comes in.

I've got my eye on a Browning Citori 725 30" (maybe adjustable cheek, maybe not?). I mainly want to shoot sporting clays, but I'm also planning on joining my friends on a few hunting trips. I see the 725 also comes in a Field model. I know the barrels are shorter, but that's about it. What are the big differences with the field and sporting clays models? If a plan to do both (hunt and shoot clays) can I get away with just getting one of the two models? Do I really need two different guns?

Hey Devil,

Depending on which Benelli you have I would just rock that. The M2 Comfort tech has worked well for me. I shoot the same shotgun in 3 gun as in trap (with the 8 round mag tube and all). (last month switched to playing with a FN SLP Mk1 for shits and grins) But if you have the coin and want to go big to the tune of 3k. But as you probably know, shooting one gun in all the diciplines of shooting will make transitioning between weekends of trap/ skeet and three gun easier if you shoot with with the same shotgun. The only problem I have found is running an auto loader sometimes the old guys get confused since my shotgun isn't a break action (over/ under) they sometimes can't see my chamber flag and freak out a bit till they see it. The other benifit of the Over/ Under shotgun is that unless you have a primer issue they almost always go bang. The auto loader can sometimes have a feeding / extracting issue causing you to miss a clay or two. But as with anything if you just have to have a new bang stick the Browning is a nice stick (personally I would spend that coin on a precision rifle or optic.) The popular shotties in the USA for Trap/ skeet are Browning Citori, Perazzi MX, Remington 90-T, Beretta, Ljutic, Cole Arms, Golden Seitz.

Hope that helps.

You might get some strange looks but shoot for a while with the Benelli to make sure you like the game before throwing down any serious amount of money on a sporting clays gun.

In the long run, though, you'll probably want something other than a short-ish barreled (I assume) Benelli for Sporting Clays. If you look around at any big shoot, you'll most people using 32" O/Us or 30" Beretta autos. If you decide you like the game, beg/borrow/steal as many different guns as you can to figure out what you like and what works best for you.

• 2 years later...

The barrel length for the Browning of 30" would work well for trap and sporting clays. If you are a very muscular person you might consider the 32" barrels. The difference between the models will be in the stocks. The gun will usually be the same otherwise.

• 1 month later...

I shot a lot with a 28" Nova pump gun for 10 years, and have recently moved up to 30" Rizzini. Went out for practice rounds with that gun I was so excited -- had an incredible light feel and just pointed automatically for me with the adjustable lop stock and comb I dialed in. Plus it looked great with those extended silver tubes. Emabarrassed myself with I don't even remember -- 16 or something like that. I had brought my nova just because I had never shot the Rizzini and I shot another round out of spite and got a 23 (think I missed my first bird or even 2 out of 5 because I was still mentally out of it from the last round). Long story short, a year later now I'm shooting fine and even better with the new gun. Love the feel an balance and swing of it, as well as how much better it fits, but the hold is different.

Long story short, you can easily shoot great with any gun you take as long as you're used to it, but if you're like me and want nice gear tuned to exact discipline, then try a few but realize that every one will be just a bit different in how it shoots, so go for fit and feel (looks if that's important) and shoot it a lot. Nice thing is quality clay guns hold their value, and there are usually a few used ones for sale at different ranges and clubs. That's how I got mine, and honestly I'm glad I didn't shoot it before I bought it because I don't think I would've gotten it then, took several hundred rounds to settle in for me but I love it and don't regret it for a second.

And to actually answer your question, if you're talking upland hunting in more or less open areas you could easily go 28 or 30" gun. Both would work for clays and other uses. And usually the field guns have a shorter barrel and like was said a less expensive stock/receiver finish sometimes. As far as the adjustable cheek -- throw one up, if it fits nice and feel natural great. If not, you won't regret spending a bit more and not having to constantly change your posture or aim to get the gun shooting where you want. Final thing to consider when picking a multipurpose gun: It would hurt me to take my trap gun into a rainy, dirty, area and set in the mud. The trigger would also be dangerous with big insulated gore tex glove. I do not hesitate to chip holes in the ice or paddle my canoe with my Nova.

Edited by lwink

I have a Benelli M2 that I got setup for 3-gun with a 24" barrel. I like to fool around with trap & skeet once in a while and definitely wasn't going to buy a shotgun just for that ..... I also got s few strange looks from all the old coots who shoot every week the first time i showed up ... that was until they saw the number of birds being broken in one set .... :)

stick with the Benelli unless you get bitten seriously by the competition bug ....

Edited by Nimitz

• 4 weeks later...

I shot clays for 32 years in everything from a Winchester 24 sxs, 870 pump, various over/under guns and single shots. Keep in mind that trap guns shoot high, you aren't supposed to cover the bird when shooting. Field guns shoot low, the target will have to be covered. Sporting clay guns shoot somewhere in between. If I were you I would buy the Browning Citory in the clay model. I have one, and like it. It does very good for sporting clays and not too bad in the field. Remember that you will shoot 100+ rounds on the range and maybe 5-10 in the field per trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a 725 sporting clays (32") for sporting clays and I am not all that muscular. Love it and would not hesitate to take it bird hunting. I have the adjustable comb but have not had to adjust it from the factory setting as I am shooting well with it, but intend to hit the pattern board and tweek it if need be. The stock dimensions are different on the field guns and I have a longer length of pull so I like the sporting clays model. Have not tried it for trap yat but intend to, I have a dedicated trap gun I shoot for that game. The 725 seems to shoot flatter than my BT99 trap gun

• 3 months later...

For shooting stages that have a bird close and one far, it sure is nice having 2 chokes and being able to select which barrel fires first. I tried shooting with a semi before and hated it for my range. But I'm just a noob too!

If you want to get the Browning I'd opt for the sporting clays model. You will shoot allot more sporting clay then field targets and the sporting model will work just fine for hunting. If you want to be able to fine tune your sight picture get the one with an adjustable comb. Just remember that if you are seeing the top of the rib and the adjustable comb is all the way down you won't be able to lower it to bring your eye down enough to sight flat down the rib so the gun will probably shoot a little high.

This will be my 20th year owning/operating a Sporting Clays range. I have shot just about everything out there. THE most important thing is having the gun you choose fit you. If you find one you like and it doesn't fit, have someone make it fit for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Field guns typically have a narrower rib. The overall weight of the field guns with shorter barrels is an advantage. Shooting clays guns is not like shooting 3 gun. Most North Texas Tournaments have 200 bird main event with an additional 50 bird side event. My recommendation would be to go with a 32" o/u. You will have much greater enjoyment in the SC course, and could use your 3 gun (with appropriate plug) for hunting, or drag the o/u out. Either will do the job.

• 3 months later...