Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 sticking

Finally got my super 1050 set up and have produced all of 200 rounds. There is an issue I'm having on the upstroke. At the bottom of the downstroke, an L shaped lever is pushed clear of the teeth on the safety ratchets on the back of the press. However on the upstroke, it slips back and catches on the first tooth. I end up having to pull the handle down a hair to release the tension and then hold the lever back manually to finish the upstroke. The screw holding that lever is tight but there is still a bit of play on it. I've looked at the assembly but I can't figure out what is causing the lever to swing back and re-engage.

It's intermittent. It'll run smooth for 20-30 rounds, stick for maybe 10-20, and then run smooth again... and then stick again... etc, etc.

Any suggestions?

Edited by carinab

Take the screw out, remove the ratchet tab and reinstall the screw. Mine lasted 100 rounds. It worked OK but I think you'll find most 1050 owners remove the tab. It's there to keep you from short stroking the press. If you have good loading habits it just gets in the way IMO.

Is it hooking?

Yes, that's why it stops on the upstroke. That little lever just doesn't want to stay put until bumped forward by the bottom part of the ratchet arm. Or perhaps you mean is it hooking/catching to where it stays back? It does, but not consistently. Even if you manually push it to where it should catch, it doesn't stay half the time.

Is it hooking?

Yes, that's why it stops on the upstroke. That little lever just doesn't want to stay put until bumped forward by the bottom part of the ratchet arm. Or perhaps you mean is it hooking/catching to where it stays back? It does, but not consistently. Even if you manually push it to where it should catch, it doesn't stay half the time.

It was meant as a bad joke. Sorry.

:cheers:

Edited by diehli

Take the ratchet off.

I am currently running with the ratchet on my 1050, but the one I sold I took it off (never had a problem without it). If there are no problems with the ratchet installed, I do think they are good. But I HATE work stoppages.

Ugh, and of course the decapping system misses the spent primer cup like a drunk cowboy spitting chaw into a spitoon at 10 paces.

Now you tell me

I am lowering my offer to $350 :devil: :devil:

Edited by zhunter

The ratchet detent assembly #20635 needs to be tightened an additional 1/4 -1/2 turn. This is the spring-loaded detent that holds the ratchet tab to the rear. It is seen on the exploded drawing in the middle of page 27 on the manual.

Ugh, and of course the decapping system misses the spent primer cup like a drunk cowboy spitting chaw into a spitoon at 10 paces.

I put a small aluminum tube in mine to catch the primers and drop them in a can under the bench. A 223 case with the back end cut off also works.

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02421.jpg

Finally got my super 1050 set up and have produced all of 200 rounds. There is an issue I'm having on the upstroke. At the bottom of the downstroke, an L shaped lever is pushed clear of the teeth on the safety ratchets on the back of the press. However on the upstroke, it slips back and catches on the first tooth. I end up having to pull the handle down a hair to release the tension and then hold the lever back manually to finish the upstroke. The screw holding that lever is tight but there is still a bit of play on it. I've looked at the assembly but I can't figure out what is causing the lever to swing back and re-engage.

It's intermittent. It'll run smooth for 20-30 rounds, stick for maybe 10-20, and then run smooth again... and then stick again... etc, etc.

Any suggestions?

Put some locktite on the screw that holds the ratchet and let it dry. Just make sure you have the screw in the position where everything is working smoothly before letting it dry.

Thanks for all the good info! Naturally, I tinkered before most of these answers came in. :blush: I ended up putting a thicker washer on the ratchet tab and giving the detent screw a good turn. I got thru another two hundred rounds without it hiccuping. But should it start giving me fits, I'm taking that sucker off.

BTW, did you know you can hold the 1050 handle with your chin in order to get the primer feed assembly out of the way so the allen wrench will reach the ratchet tab screw? Besides then you get both hands free! Let's add contortionist to my expanding skill set! :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

I wish i COULD get the screw out of mine to remove it

It wont budge :angry2:

If you make the mistake of assuming that you have a tight, stubborn, 30-06 case in your sizing die and force the handle against the ratchet tab it will snap off allowing you ratchet free operation. Ask me how I know.

Legal Disclaimer - I dont really recommend this option. My limited experience has taught me that if there is any hiccup in the machine force is not the solution.

Reloading tip #1: Never force anything

First time the ratchet gave me problems, I took them all off.

I prefer to deprime prior to case cleaning so never have to worry about the brain-dead spent primer catcher. For such a well-thought out press, that cup is really poor.

Reloading tip #1: Never force anything

First time the ratchet gave me problems, I took them all off.

I prefer to deprime prior to case cleaning so never have to worry about the brain-dead spent primer catcher. For such a well-thought out press, that cup is really poor.

Cant stress tip #1 enough. There is no rush. Stop and figure out what is wrong. I'm loading rifle now and it is a joy. My whole mindset is different. With pistol its how many rounds can I crank out after I get the kids to bed. With rifle I take my time, trickle my stick powder loads and start work with a goal in mind - 30 rounds tonight, thats it, than stop.

Regards the primer cup I'm perplexed with the the problem. In 10,000 plus rounds reloaded Ive had perhaps one primer fly from the cup. Now having said that I expect tonight not one will go in.

• 3 weeks later...

I too just recently purchased super 1050 in 40sw ... And man this thing is very temperamental. I loaded 700rds in one sitting and the damage was I bent a decapping pin and crushed a bunch of pirmers.

What do you guys mean??? take off the ratchet/ detent??? can you explain more or point me to a thread I can read up on... I been looking forward to owning a 1050 and was sorely upset that its so temperamental... What can I do to make this loader run smooth????

Located on the back of the machine is a ratchet mechanism that insures you do not "short stroke" the machine. That is, the operating handle must reach the bottom of its travel before it can be returned to the starting position. Some people recommend removing the ratchet assembly, I'm not one of them.

But the ratchet assembly is not the reason for crushed primers. Check the white delrin tab on the primer statioin. Too loose/tight? Needs just a hair of play.

I too just recently purchased super 1050 in 40sw ... And man this thing is very temperamental. I loaded 700rds in one sitting and the damage was I bent a decapping pin and crushed a bunch of pirmers.

What do you guys mean??? take off the ratchet/ detent??? can you explain more or point me to a thread I can read up on... I been looking forward to owning a 1050 and was sorely upset that its so temperamental... What can I do to make this loader run smooth????

Be patient and learn the machine. Once you are familiar with what is going on operation becomes Zen like. Ahh! Stoppage of operation as handle comes down. Confuscious say remedy to check case feeder and assist brass into station 1.

I use my 1050 like a 550. I load three calibers and breaking the machine down for caliber changes has helped understand how it works and what is happening when the handle moves. It also gives me a chance to clean out the debris I created during my learning curve such as crushed primer parts, spilled powder and excessive grease.

Took off the ratchet assembly and reinstalled the bolt but the problem is still there...

problems are :

1: Primers are causing a jam where a primer is stuck and causing the bar not to go in all the way ...

2: Brass cases arent properly inserted in station 1.

actions to correct problem 1:

I adjusted the primer actuating lever to the proper height even took out the primer magazine tube to inspect it ... everything is perfect.

actions to correct problem 2:

I have to pop or move the brass on to the de-priming/sizing station...

this kinda sucks for having a machine for less than a week... I didnt have this hard of a time with 2 of my square deals....

Be patient and learn the machine. Once you are familiar with what is going on operation becomes Zen like. Ahh! Stoppage of operation as handle comes down. Confuscious say remedy to check case feeder and assist brass into station 1.

I use my 1050 like a 550. I load three calibers and breaking the machine down for caliber changes has helped understand how it works and what is happening when the handle moves. It also gives me a chance to clean out the debris I created during my learning curve such as crushed primer parts, spilled powder and excessive grease.

This is great advice, and is exactly how I've learned the ins and outs of my 1050. I bought it back in January and at first was a little intimidated and frustrated by things like the ratchet tab catching. I spilled powder all up in the shellplate, crushed cases from the case plunger, etc.. but once I got comfortable breaking the machine down cleaning and changing toolheads I got those "Aha!" moments about how it works and operation has become a dream.

Took off the ratchet assembly and reinstalled the bolt but the problem is still there...

problems are :

1: Primers are causing a jam where a primer is stuck and causing the bar not to go in all the way ...

2: Brass cases arent properly inserted in station 1.

actions to correct problem 1:

I adjusted the primer actuating lever to the proper height even took out the primer magazine tube to inspect it ... everything is perfect.

actions to correct problem 2:

I have to pop or move the brass on to the de-priming/sizing station...

this kinda sucks for having a machine for less than a week... I didnt have this hard of a time with 2 of my square deals....

I was having case insertion problems initially (.308) and some adjustments fixed the problem for me. I tightened the shellplate locking nut and screwed in the indexing stop screw which is turned horizontally on the main body of the press underneath station 6, the empty check station. Also, at one point I had some powder in the ball+spring that indexes into the shellplate. When that didnt spring properly then the shellplate wouldn't index completely and cases would not get inserted into station 1.

Stick with it and fix these minor adjustments and I think you'll find yourself loving the 1050.