Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG bullet weight

Art Yeo

All,

I received my first 2,000 MG bullets. I know many of you are fans of MG and had good experiences with them but when I spot checked a few bullets from each box, they were consistently lighter than the advertised weight in grains.

Did you notice the same thing with your MG purchases?

FYI: The rest of the bullets from other manufacturers were all above the advertised weight.

Let's see how they shoot today when I go to the range ...

Thanks!

Consistent weight is what matters.

I'd much rather have my "115" bullets weigh 114.63, 114.78 and 114.57 than 115.3, 115.9 and 116.2.

And yes those are 114 numbers are the actual weights of the three 115 JHP bullets I reached in and grabbed. :cheers:

I'd much rather have my "115" bullets weigh 114.63, 114.78 and 114.57 than 115.3, 115.9 and 116.2.

And yes those are 114 numbers are the actual weights of the three 115 JHP bullets I reached in and grabbed. :cheers:

Huh! I'd rather have it the other way around (for trips to the chrono)

The more consistent the weight, the more consistent the velocity. That gives the potential for a more accurate load.

Is it really that important for USPSA? Usually not, but when there are mini poppers at 45 to 50 yards it's nice to know that your gun will shoot one inch groups at that distance.

Getting that accuracy with a bullet that varies in weight is more times than not harder than with a consistent bullet weight.

Huh! I'd rather have it the other way around (for trips to the chrono)

More powder my friend! :D At least in my experience I've always been able to find a velocity comfortably over Minor / Major that yields very good accuracy. My Schuemann barrel likes more powder. It will shoot into a paster at 25 running my current load. At just over major, let's just say it was... unimpressive.

I've noticed that the bullets have gotten a little lighter in recent years.

I shoot their 124gr JHP in 9-major... for years, the bullets were always spot-on at 124.1 gr.

The last couple of boxes I opened, they were consistently 123.4 gr.

Not a huge difference, but... enough to think about while waiting my turn at the chrono station.

i remember switching to MGs because the weight was more consistent. i remember my 124 were at 124 give or take only a tenth. I was shooting Raineers before and the variances were up to a gr. even. not good when you are weighing the lighter bullet at chrono.

Buddy picked up a case of the MG 121's for the IPSC nationals and I helped out with working up some loads. I tossed some on my scale and got 121.7,121.7,121.6,121.7, 121.7.

As long as they are consistent,the actual weight doesn't relaly matter as long as it is close to the advertised weight.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6