Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness Limited Elite

Topmaul

I have recently paid a great deal of money for an EAA Witness Limited Elite .40 S&W.

This weapon has a Henning trigger and a bunch of extras. Well it has a feeding problem, the gun is just not feeding any suggestions?

And a more telling question: Are you using the new K40 magazines or the old Tanfoglio .40 or 10mm magazines?

If the new K40s, just load to SAAMI spec or close to it.

If the old magazines, you'll need to load to at least 1.175 or longer AND you have to ensure that the feed lips are between 0.385 and 0.395.

In short, the easiest first step is to get the more reliable K40 magazines.

1.195 is reliable in mine. SAMMI spec ammo will flip right out of the ejection port when you fire a round. Such a nice feeling when you pull the trigger and hear 'click' but no boom.

Disassemble your gun, and load (but not crimp) a .40 round. Feed it into the barrel. you should be able to feel when the round 'noses up' and the case shoulders.

Now fit the round into the mag. I like to load long enough so the nose of the bullet is about 3/16" from the magazine metal.

Polish the feed ramp with a dremel, a white bullet tip and some mild abrasive until you can see yourself in the reflection.

Feed ramp done, ammo done, try a few test rounds. Personally, the shorter the round the less powder it takes to make major PF, however, feed reliability comes first. a few tenths more powder is a small price to pay for 100% reliability.

I have recently tried loading to 1.165 75% were fine, 25% flipped out the ejection port. So that COAL is toast.

I also tried 1.172 That one was about 93%. Not quite there. Although this ammo does feed into my buddy's STI

1.175 is also 100% in my gun. won't fit into a GLOCK mag (oh well) will also fire in an STI and is 100% in my gun, but it feels a bit 'chunky/clunky' when going into battery.

1.18 is a nice size. Barely works in an STI (sometimes F2B) but reasonably smooth feeling in my gun going into battery.

1.190+ Feels awesome in my gun. Can't even feel the slide going into battery. takes more powder to make major. 6.3gn WSF!

DOES NOT go into battery in an STI EDGE. LOL, it DOES fit into the mags though.

In fact, for kicks, I put a handful of my rounds in a friends ammo bag(while we were practicing) and I had some cheap laughs as his 'reliable' STI got some ''indigestion'' I did fess up and swore not to ever do it again, but it was good for a laugh. (PS I don't condone anyone else trying this, but the tap and rack dance he got to do was funny)

Good luck!

Edited by Got Juice?

As a follow up to Got Juice's excellent post. If you go with the K40 magazines, I think that the longest it will take is 1.150". This isn't an issue because the K40's place the bullet closer forward as compared to the old Tanfoglio magazines.

Oh, I forgot to add. Bullet jams nose up, the ammo is def to short (in a tanfoglio at least) providing the feed lips are properly adjusted, one more way to check your rounds, is load 5 duds in 5 sizes (this method works but takes a bit more time.)

Step one: Tune Mags

Step two: Polish Feed Ramp

Step three: Load 5 finished but dud rounds in the following sizes:

Then load your mags (keeping the same oal's confined to each mag)

Now cycle the slide manually as fast as you can muster, then slowly. When you cannot 'feel' any clunkyness, or 'catching' feeling when the gun goes into battery, you are there. Almost.

Once you have that down pat, measure the round, and load 10 at that length, and 10 more that are .005" longer. Now fire the rounds and see which one the gun likes under power.

When I was learing about these guns, the engineer/OCD in me measured exactly where the round jumped into the exctractor groove, in relation to how far the round had to go before the slide went to full battery.

Both methods work well. this second method is my 'quick and dirty' I far prefer using the barrel of the gun, and to reiterate that the nose of the bullet should be 3/16" from the front metal of the mag. that way, when the round is stripped form the mag, it pops into the extractor, and the nose has nowhere else to go but in the barrel... it is already there!

Best of Luck!

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replys,

Well I shot a box of American Eagle .40 and not issues. Then I shot some UMC and had issues 10% of the time. So one FTF out of ten rounds. Towards the end of the range time I was using up the UMC ammo and the mags started by magic running 100% maybe it was a break in I don't know but I have plenty of the cheap ammo and plan to shoot it up in practice.

I loaded 10 rounds of American Eagle ammo in to each of my mags all that ran flawlessly.

So let's hope the issue is resolved.