Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 in 40 vs 45 for SS and Limited-10?

msg73

Already have a 1911 in 9mm that I use for steel. Looking to get another 1911 for SS and Limited-10 major. Which is better and why 40 or 45? I'm in NJ w/ 15rd max, so an STI 2011 for Limited just doesn't make sense over a single stack 1911.

I'm interested in the answer to this one, also.

Is cheap brass and maybe reduced bullet costs the only benefits of .40 over .45?

I've been reading that SS 40's have more issues with FTF. I realized after I posted that 45 is not an option as I don't want to reload another caliber. I'm really trying to multi-purpose as much as I can. I can either go SS & Limited-10 with a 1911 40 or open & Limited-10 with a 2011.

I think SAAMI spec length .40 tends to have more failure to feed issues on 1911 style guns. This is why the S*I guns recommend loading long to fix the issue.

Edited by Skydiver

I've been reading that SS 40's have more issues with FTF. I realized after I posted that 45 is not an option as I don't want to reload another caliber. I'm really trying to multi-purpose as much as I can. I can either go SS & Limited-10 with a 1911 40 or open & Limited-10 with a 2011.

I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING AND LOADING 40 AS LONG AS ANYBODY --NO BRAGG JUST FACT. THE SS 40 IS A WONDERFUL THING WITH PROPER AMMO. THE FACTORY LENGTH AMMO CAUSES ISSUES---BECAUSE OF FEED ANGLE CHANGE (THIS ALSO APPLIES TO 2011 DESIGN BUT NOT QUITE AS MUCH). THE 40 WILL MAKE USPSA MAJOR FACTOR AND RUN LIKE CRAZY WITH --I SAY AGAIN WITH PROPER AMMO. OH YEA I HAVE BUILDING 40 FOR AS LONG AS ANYONE I HAVE THE VERY FIRST FREEBORE REAMERS THAT CLYMER EVER MADE. IN A TYPICAL CLUB MATCH WHERE YOU SHOOT 100-150 ROUNDS ONE ADVANTAGE IS THE RECOIL IS SNAPPIER BUT LESS TO DEAL WITH---I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING USPSA FOR 27 YEARS AND CAN HONESTLY SAY I WILL NOT BE NEAR AS TIRED AT THE END OF THE DAY WHEN SHOOTING MY MAJOR 40 AS I WILL BE WITH MY 45. THIS TELLS ME --I DON'T WORK AS HARD CONTROLLING THE GUN. KIMBER QUIT MAKING 40 --CAUSE THEY SAID THEY WOULD NOT WORK/FUNCTION ---BS! IF A PERSON IS OBSESSED WITH A KIMBER --JUST FIND A 10MM AND PUT IN NEW 40 BARREL AND BE HAPPY.

JIM ,AKA PISTOLDOC

It all comes down to Mags in .40 Single Stack.

I have a 40 SS that is the most temperamental 1911 ever. It only runs on Colt Delta Mags or Wilson's 10mm Mags. Not CMCs of any kind in 10 or 45, Not MegGars, not Metalform with spacers. I have 9 various types of mags that wont run the gun.

Me? shorter, i use the same load for limited and SS. Only the Trojan (heard this before?) required a mag change. Actually I just picked up a Kimber mag and it works well too. Looks like a Metalform though.