I stopped...

BigDave

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats to all of you who beat the addiction to nicotine !

Giving up nicotine ( my dark mistress ) was the hardest thing I have ever done.

It's still hard sometimes, but as mentioned above " just one time " is a lie you tell yourself when you need an excuse to give in to the addiction.

I have substituted an addiction to physical training for the nicotine.

The overall result has been the next best thing to being bitten by a radioactive spider.

Travis F.

I always return to this thread.

I'm building up motivation to quit smoking (cigarettes) again, 'cause I'm noticing negative effects on my health.

I'm a nicotine-addict for 25 years now.

But boy, this is damn difficult!

I've tried to quit before, not once, not twice......... :(

Henny, when I quit smokin' cigs I had tried and failed several times. One day I just decided to leave it out of my life without telling any of my friends. They would always try to "help" by not smoking in front of me, ect. And I think that put pressure on me.

So, one day I didn't quit. I just failed to continue. It was three weeks before anyone noticed that they hadn't seen me smoke in a while. By then I was, in my own estimation, an ex-smoker.

Addictions, relationships gone bad, hokey religions, bad accidents, jobs that suck....there is something to be learned in everything. I'm contented and at peace most of the time. And all of the foregoing misfortunes, tempered by devine guidance, are probably what resulted in my present state of happiness. ;)

• 1 year later...

+3 years here too :-)

Good Luck Merlin!

When you no longer want them, you will realize a new found old friend. It's called freedom from nicotine and I am digging it more than I ever did before I started smoking them damned things way back when ;-)

Outstanding.

Prior to quitting, I could not *conceive* of not smoking, especially when doing things like fishing, or - pretty much anything. Man, I wouldn't even get out of bed, before firing up a Marlboro. Now, that seems so silly.

I can promise you that will go away. You will get to the point where you simply don't think about them except on extremely rare occasions. 8 years later, maybe...2-3x a year, I process a thought about smoking -- not even a temptation thought, but more of an evaluation.

32 days, eh? For you, I'll bet it's several times an hour. <grin>

You never quit you just stop, sad to say. I quit smoking for Copenhagan and next to smoking that is main lining (wusses spit) Keep at it but you will never get rid of the urge at least I haven't ................. But in the plus side you have all that money to spend on shooting :D

I know it's just a start but...32 days. :)

Way to go Merlin. Of course, I know it's not because you realized smoking is a stupid, unhealthy and nasty habit. At average prices, if you smoked a pack a day you have saved $100 this month alone that Benny would never have gotten had you not quit. You probably just paid for his gas to this weekends 3 gun match! :D

Seriously, congratulations! If you have made it a month you are done. After 22 years I sometimes still think I'd like to light up. Just acknowledge the urge and let it go. If you really need to inhale some smoke go to the range and practice shooting into the wind.... ;)

I know it's just a start but...32 days. :)

Way to go Merlin. Of course, I know it's not because you realized smoking is a stupid, unhealthy and nasty habit. At average prices, if you smoked a pack a day you have saved $100 this month alone that Benny would never have gotten had you not quit. You probably just paid for his gas to this weekends 3 gun match! :D

Seriously, congratulations! If you have made it a month you are done. After 22 years I sometimes still think I'd like to light up. Just acknowledge the urge and let it go. If you really need to inhale some smoke go to the range and practice shooting into the wind.... ;)

Thanks, you butt....I just squirted Diet Coke through my nose onto my keyboard.... :lol::lol::lol:

Congrats Merlin. Big Dave, you got 1 year head start on me. I quit sometime in the fall of 2004. I dont remember when exactly. I tried to quit many many times (after 20+ yrs) and I used to keep track of the days, even writing them on my hand each and every day, so I could see it whenever I felt the urge. I would look down at my hand and see 32 days, or 85 days, or whatever count I was at at that time.

But then one day I didn't quit ..... and I didn't write down the date, much less the number 1 on a piece of paper, or on my hand or anything for that matter. I simply stopped *buying* cigarettes. And being far too proud to bum them from friends, I no longer had a source to continue my nasty little habit. ;)

2 years later and I hardly ever think about it, or get the urge to light up. I dearly love the freedom, and of course the extra money has allowed me to shoot alot more than before. But I will always consider myself an EX-SMOKER. Just as alcoholics never consider themselves cured or fully recovered. I will never, ever ...... EVER touch another cigarette in my life. Far too easy to re-lapse. But mostly I just don't wanna. B) I enjoy life way too much now!

Keep it up ...... all of youse!

Just realized, I have been an ex-smoker for longer than I was a smoker. I had not thought about smoking for a long time, I read this thread and my stopping was a similiar experience. After several failed attempts, one day I just stopped. I trashed the pack that had a few left and never bought another pack.

I spent 20 years in the military and started smoking four years before I went in the military and smoked hard all 24 years. How hard, 3 to 4 packs a day depending on how many beers I hoisted at night. I use to wake up in the middle of the night and put an ashtray on my chest to save myself if fell asleep while having a smoke. Yes, I was addicted!

Certain life events caused me to \"wake up\" and I quit smoking \"cold turkey\". I have been smoke free for 16 years now. I am not telling this to anyone for \"way-to-go\" comments, but to help those who think they can not quit.

6 months after I quit, I never realized how bad I felt, smelled so bad, why I had worse colds than everyone else, and had missed so many things that smoking keeps you from enjoying.

The bottom line---If I can quit, anyone can. Make no mistake, when you reach the \"golden years\" these years won\'t be golden if you are carring around a 40lb bottle of air so you can breath.

Whatever it takes, QUIT SMOKING----You don\'t know what your missing until you are smoke free.

To those to have quit recently, Great Job!

Posted in this thread almost a year ago, but still smoke cigs :(

Got PM-ed by Merlin....today.

I've made a promise to Merlin, I'll try to quit as well but I'll need a prescription for Zyban.

I've tried everything to quit but didn't succeed.

Well, new opportunity, new Luck!

Good luck to you Merlin, let's try to beat the devil called Nicotine!

Good luck Merlin.

I am right there with you, its been about 11 weeks since I gave em up. Everyday I can still taste the sweet juicy cigarette flavor, but am doing pretty good just smiling and turning away. This isnt the first time I have quit, but I have a good feeling that it will be the last.

Best thing too, my lady says I dont snore anymore!

Plus, that $3 a day is gonna find its way to a roulette table in Las Vegas come October!

Congrats to all !

Keep it up !

Staying quit is still hard for me .

I still use tobacco in some of my dreams .

Remember , "just one " will NOT be alright.

You will notice a difference in your body , and like it .

Travis F.

Keep it up !

Travis F.

Staying quit will be the hard thing for me either.

I have an appointment with my physician next Tuesday for a Zyban/Wellbutrin-prescription.

Posts like yours, Travis, will help me to quit because they show that it is possible to stay tobacco-clean.

Next week will be a new week in my life...beating a 25-year addiction!

Keep it up !

Travis F.

Staying quit will be the hard thing for me either.

I have an appointment with my physician next Tuesday for a Zyban/Wellbutrin-prescription.

Posts like yours, Travis, will help me to quit because they show that it is possible to stay tobacco-clean.

Next week will be a new week in my life...beating a 25-year addiction!

Next week will be the start of a NEW life. Hang tuff.

Just an update...

I've got my prescription, I started the treatment four days ago, untill now there's no major side-effects of the Zyban/Welbutrin-treatment, I'm happy about this...no nausea, no sleepless nights.

In minor: a strange taste in my mouth...that's all, I can live with that!

My 'stop smoking day' is planned september 8, please help me then!

This morning I was out of cigs but refused to 'saddle up' and buy new ones...minor cold turkey during the afternoon but found a way to manage that.

All went well but it made me realise that the pills are just there to suppress the withdrawal effects and that it's up to me...to make the difference.

Henny, before and after.

Hang in there Henny, this is the best move you will ever make. It took me many tries, but it was SO worth it!

I am certain you can make it work, just keep thinking of all the extra money you will have for ammo now :-)

Henny ,

You can do it !

The physical withdrawl is over in less than a week , after that it's all about breaking the habit .

You will notice certain things trigger the urge more than others . It's just an association made by years of repetition and reinforcement with nicotine . It's all in your head ( not that this makes it any easier , it's still freakin hard ).

It's an interesting opportunity to examine the mechanism of addiction, and realize that most of the drive to continue is based in delusion.

Just do it.

Travis F.