BigDave

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only thing that really helps is determination, just gotta make up mind to stop

Exactly....you're the one who is in control! Way to go Joe!

My taste is better...

My smell is better...

I don't have cold fingers anymore...

So my triggerfinger is doing a perfect job :goof:

On the breath-issue: it will take some time to recover....but I have good confidence!

Edited by schmitz

I started dipping at age 14.Through the years I would stop for a few weeks and then start again.I finally quit 2 years ago after 27 years and have not had a dip since.There are times when I want one but it soon passes.Keep it up every one,you can do it.

Good on you, but I wish I could find the cartoon picturing the little old emaciated man setting on a exam table drooling on hisself with a humped back, bowed legs and the Doctor says "Well Fred remember all the smoking you gave up and the exercise you did to prolong your life by ten years, these are them!!"

Dipped for years ET and still when I see a cope being tamped want to jump em and stuff it all in my face, and it's been 15+ years <_<

Edited by johnhurd

Joe,

Let me know how that goes. What works and what doesn't. I go through a can every three or four days. It's a habit I know I should break - but I don't want to. I know it's bad for me and I hate every can I buy. But selfishly I just haven't resolved myself to quitting. If you find something that you feel really helped make the difference I'd love to hear about it.

J

Jack,

in my case it was food --- I was the guy who never a cookie, I wanted a box; I ordered pie 2 or 3 slices at a time, and would think nothing of having dessert with every meal. I got bigger and heavier every year, going from a 38" waist almost 20 years ago all the way up to barely squeezing into 54s last fall when I decided to change. I'd tried the dieting thing before, gone to the gym for as long as 3-4 months at a clip several times, only to always revert to my old habits. I stopped doing that last October. I'm 85 lbs. lighter, much stronger than ever before, fit comfortably into 46" jeans, can squeeze into 44s.

What's the secret? I haven't dieted this time --- I decided to heat in a healthier fashion every day, and to work out as much as possible every week. Note that there are no numbers in those goals --- I have good days and weeks, and bad ones. Sometimes I choose to eat something that's unhealthy, the difference is that I don't beat myself up afterwards. I just figure to use a shooting metaphor, that I bombed one stage in a 15,000 stage match, and that tomorrow's another chance to shoot a stage correctly.....

So, make the decision when you're ready, and then accept the consequences. You'll have cravings --- it's perfectly acceptable to look at your watch and decide that if you still want it in 30 minutes you'll have it. Then use the thirty minutes to do something different --- take a walk, dryfire, whatever you can think of to distract yourself. It's also o.k. to set up some rewards for yourself: I like buying new clothes, you might need something else as a reward. After a while, you start to really take some satisfaction in the realization that you're doing everything in your life because it's your choice, not because someone else is forcing you to, or because your life is happening to you.

Happiness is found in that place --- but so's hard work.....

• 2 months later...
I know it's just a start but...32 days. :)

How are you Merlin...?

I recieved a PM some days ago at Global Village by Tigeress...we are quiters.... :cheers:

just missed your feedback :rolleyes:

Are you a quiter too, as we write today?

Edited by schmitz

I see this thread is back up, I scrolled back to see when I first posted and looks like I am now tobacco free for about 3 months now, guess it is an accomplishment to now be able to count in months instead of days. Next step years.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I know it's just a start but...32 days. :)

How are you Merlin...?

I recieved a PM some days ago at Global Village by Tigeress...we are quiters.... :cheers:

just missed your feedback :rolleyes:

Are you a quiter too, as we write today?

Nope... <_<

I am about 4 weeks into my latest try now........

YOU can DO IT! Merlin! I know you can!

You made me do it!

Just that one post two years ago (august) triggered things.

I know it is not easy, I know it's a struggle, what I know now: it's a commitment you make to yourself.

Hey...with the help of some friends...come on , Man! :cheers:

Edited by schmitz

The money I spend on buying smokes were saved and went into travels outside my country to shoot matches.

2008: I scheduled Matches in Berlin, Guestrow and Philippsburg and I there's a match in Dublin, Ireland in september when there's no Dutch Open this year.

Edited by schmitz

• 6 months later...

congrats!!! I too quit smoking, but for me I only smoked for 10 years and quit about 4 & 1/2 years ago. I did not use the patch, gum, or anything else. Like you, I used will power and yes it hurt, yes I was easily annoyed, and yes it was hard. I am very glad I am done with it though... Just this weekend I allowed myself to smoke a cigar for the first time since I quit and I was surprised to find that I was able to enjoy it (no inhale) and still not want a cigarette. I won't smoke a cigar again for a few more years most likely... but it was nice to discover that I am able to keep them separate and no longer have the urge to smoke cigarettes. Congrats again, and it does get easier.

• 1 year later...

A few years ago I started smoking RYO tobacco. Bali Shag Red to be exact. A girl I was going out with at the time smoked it, so I thought what the hell, I waited until I'm 50 to start smoking - I'll be dead before the tobacco can kill me.

I still really enjoy it.

An interesting thing about RYO tobacco - is isn't physically addicting like smoking commercial cigarettes. I never feel like I "need" to smoke. I smoke more like a ritual. And I don't do anything else while smoking - don't even like to walk and smoke. (Okay of course I will sip a beer - but that's it.)

Anyway, a couple years ago bigJoni really wanted to quit smoking (regular cigarettes). She switched from some commercial brand to American Spirits because she thought they'd at least be better for her if she didn't quit. American Spirit does not load up their cigarettes with a truckload of chemicals designed to make you go out of your mind if you haven't had a cigarette in a while. Because of that, she said right after she smoked one, she felt like she wanted to smoke another. She wasn't getting her fix from American Spirits like she did with the regular cigarettes.

I thought that was interesting, and had an idea that might help her completely quit smoking. I suggested she continue to only smoke American Spirits until the "want to smoke another one right away" feeling went completely away. I can't remember how long that took - maybe a month or two.

Then my thought was to switch her to the Bali Shag, because even after several years, I smoke only when I want to. I never feel like I need a cigarette. So she did. And the same, very similar, thing. She didn't get her fix from the Bali Shag like she'd grown accustomed to with the American Spirit. I wasn't surprised.

So I suggested she stick with the Bali Shag until the "didn't get my fix" feeling went completely away. She did.

Before she reached that point, I said that if RYO tobacco affects her like it does me, it will be easy to quit altogether, because you will no longer be physically addicted to the chemicals loaded into regular cigarettes. So once the "didn't get my fix" feeling went away with Bali Shag, she realized the only thing keeping her smoking was just the routine and habit of smoking itself. So she quit.

I also had another friend quit regular tobacco by following the same procedure. It makes sense to me. Get yourself off the chemicals then it's purely a mental battle. So if you want to quit regular cigarettes, give 'er a whirl.

be

+3.

:cheers:

Congrats!

I'm closer to being done than ever, but not quite there. Soon.

If you'll notice the screen name I've quit a thing or two. Been clean and sober for 14+ years, and I know you can't quit something until you're done. Everyone I know that's successfully quit smoking for any length of time did it for themselves, not out of cost, guilt, or wife (or other third party) pressure.

Like I said, soon....

Thanks Brian. I am going to throw that one at my brother and see what he thinks. I love the guy and want to have him around as long as I can.

JZ

eta: The 27th of this month I will be clean and sober 6 years. That is the b-day I now celebrate.!

Edited by JimmyZip

• 6 years later...

One year ago yesterday was the last time I smoked a cigarette...

I'm posting this here under 'accomplishments', not because I think it is one, but most other people that know about it do. To me it is just something I'm doing.

Be very proud, that is a great accomplishment. My brother has worked his life in drug rehab and the drug users all say that kicking nicotine is harder than kicking heroin.