Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Rules question

Ontarget

On stage two of the classifier (strings 1 and 2), what is legal concerning the forward and rear fault lines? Can you touch the fault lines at all? I gave a procedural penalty to someone who clearly not just touched the forward fault line, but part of his foot was several inches past the line. Thank you.

On stage two of the classifier (strings 1 and 2), what is legal concerning the forward and rear fault lines? Can you touch the fault lines at all? I gave a procedural penalty to someone who clearly not just touched the forward fault line, but part of his foot was several inches past the line. Thank you.

Before or after last shot was fired?

For string one:

"Draw and advance toward targets, fire 2

shots at each T1 - T3 while moving

forward (all shots must be fired while

moving) there is a forward fault line at

the 5yd line for this string."

Although fault lines are not typically part of IDPA I'd say if they shot while over the forward line they would get a PE. In all the classifiers I have run (a lot) I have never seen someone do this. On Stage 2 if they go backwards too far I wouldn't have an issue and I don't suspect it would be to anyone's advantage anyway. It doesn't specify a rear fault line either.

The fault line doesn't have a specified width, so touching it and crossing it would seem to be the same thing. If you shoot after crossing the fault line, you've earned a procedural penalty.

In this case, the shooter's foot was on the ground past the line before the last shot was fired. I thought the procedural call was definite. But what if his foot had just touched the line? Then, I would not have been sure and probably not have called the penalty.

In this case, the shooter's foot was on the ground past the line before the last shot was fired. I thought the procedural call was definite. But what if his foot had just touched the line? Then, I would not have been sure and probably not have called the penalty.

It's never good to be eager to give out PEs. At our club we usually just marks the lines in the sand/dirt. Here's a guess- it was a relatively new shooter?

The way I read it, if the shooter PE's during a classifier, I let them re-shoot if they want (time and ammo are the concerns). I believe the goal is to shoot a clean classifier without gun or mental malfunctions, if possible.

• 2 months later...

While maybe not the absolutely correct thing to do, with the idea that the classifier is to test your shooting skills (as opposed to your shooting-a-match skills) unless they step well over the line I would not give a procedural nor give them a reshoot.

Is there any advantage to being that extra 1 to the targets? Was it a mistake or an attempt to game it abit.

My club's classifier is usually pretty time-crunched, and has a heavy majority of marksmans (a good sign that we growing pretty quickly) so we tend to be a bit more subjective of the letter of the law.